Halifax cruise port heads up

Wonder18

Anyone cruising to Halifax in the next four days our port  is closed Due to the damage of hurricane Dorian. It’s hard to believe but yes we in  Atlantic Canada got hit . There’s  been a lot of damage downtown Halifax and Peggy’s Cove.Over 450,000 people without power restoration time for this is Wednesday. 

Thanks for sharing.  I was just wondering how Canada and surrounding area were doing.  Nothing on Princess site considering Caribbean Princess is up your way.

Same as Diamond  Princess in Japan (Typhoon).  Not a word from Princess.

Edited by cr8tiv1

1 hour ago, Wonder18 said:

Anyone cruising to Halifax in the next four days our port  is closed Due to the damage of hurricane Dorian. It’s hard to believe but yes we in  Atlantic Canada got hit . There’s  been a lot of damage downtown Halifax and Peggy’s Cove.Over 450,000 people without power restoration time for this is Wednesday. 

We will be on the Caribbean Princess with a scheduled stop in Halifax on September 20th. Do you know the status of PEI and Sydney? We were stressed for 5 days in southeast Florida not  knowing if we were going to take a direct hit, which thankfully we didn't. Our thoughts are with you wishing you a speedy recovery. Please update us when you have an opportunity. Thank you.

You should be fine by September 20th. Sydney and PE I have also been hit but do not know the status of their cruise port but I will find out when I get hold of my family down in Sydney For Halifax area they’re saying late Wednesday night or Thursday morning I do know they cancelled cruise ships coming into port until at least Thursday

Are you sure about 4 days?  Which would mean from today (Sunday) through Wednesday?  You've got 3 ships coming Tues/Wed (Princess and two RC).  None of those have indicated that they are not stopping in Halifax as of right now so I wonder if it's more that the Farmer's Market and shopping are closed today/tomorrow but the port itself will accept these ships.  

?

Actually looks like there's a Holland America ship looking to dock tomorrow (Monday).  I know you have serious power outages though and I hope you're restored soon, outage map shows that restoration near the port is estimated to be tonight.  I hope those ships can still dock as the local businesses will want to get back to normal ASAP.

From the Port of Halifax's webpage.

Special Alerts

Container terminal operations at the Port of Halifax are expected to resume later this afternoon. Marine pilots and tugs are looking at the same time frame. HPA crews are inspecting cruise infrastructure and berths to ensure cruise operations can continue as early as Monday.

In Halifax, sunny and going up to 20C today, beautiful yesterday too but cooler. Number of affected customers without power province-wide is now down to 203,000 at 11am Monday, around 63,000 around the city. We're 15-20 minutes from the terminal and our power was out for 25 hrs. Problem is downed trees on power lines as not many lines are underground. We're getting back to normal asap with help from the military and huge task force working together. Hope most of you reading this are able to dock in Halifax. If not, sorry you'll miss our beautiful city. It's a reason to return! Safe travels!

Edited by Adventures ahead
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, declansdad said:

From the Port of Halifax's webpage.

Special Alerts

Container terminal operations at the Port of Halifax are expected to resume later this afternoon. Marine pilots and tugs are looking at the same time frame. HPA crews are inspecting cruise infrastructure and berths to ensure cruise operations can continue as early as Monday.

Veendam and Caribbean Princess are sitting in port right now so obviously they've got it ready to go.  If there's one port ready for things like this it's going to be Halifax.  Incredible job on the ground there!

https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/pier-21/

• Like 2

We are on NCL Gem this week. We substituted Portland for Bar Harbor due to hurricane and had a sea day instead of Halifax yesterday (Sunday) having been told the port was closed Sunday due to the storm damage. We are in Sydney today where there still appears to be significant power outages in the area and excursions to the Fortress were cancelled. We were told the Fortress was closed due to damage/power outage there but not by anyone with first hand knowledge or any more detail. Have read news stories about issues with PEI, our next stop tomorrow, but have heard nothing indicating we will not be making our scheduled stop. The Captain has done a fantastic job of minimizing the rough seas, storm conditions we might have encountered as the storm passed, but clearly it has taken a significant, but brief, toll on the areas we are visiting on this cruise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone in Halifax and surrounding areas have recovered from Dorian.

We are scheduled in Halifax next week.  Is the farmer's market and terminal shopping area open?

Looking for a close stop for lobster roll.   The little deli at the end of terminal building wasn't open when we were there in May.

21 minutes ago, atb said:

We are scheduled in Halifax next week.  Is the farmer's market and terminal shopping area open?

Looking for a close stop for lobster roll.   The little deli at the end of terminal building wasn't open when we were there in May.

I was in Halifax last week.  The Farmer’s Market and the terminal shopping area were open.  No visible evidence of Dorian’s visit.  Sorry - can’t help with the lobster roll.

1 hour ago, atb said:

46 minutes ago, 138east said:

I was in Halifax last week.  The Farmer’s Market and the terminal shopping area were open.  No visible evidence of Dorian’s visit.  Sorry - can’t help with the lobster roll.

We were there last week too!  Everything was indeed open around the cruise terminal and waterfront.  But we did see one very visible sign of Dorian's visit (it won't affect cruise pax): up near the Public Gardens, a huge crane had been toppled by Dorian's winds.   Fortunately, no one was hurt, but streets around it are closed, and we were told they are still trying to figure out how to get it down.   In the Public Gardens (which are beautiful btw), we also saw recent remnants of a few trees that must have come down during Dorian. 

As for lobster rolls, I can't speak from personal experience, but folks here on CC have recommended the lobster rolls at Goldwater Seafoods, which I believe is near the cruise terminal.  And for a great (albeit NOT healthy) treat, I CAN highly recommend the BeaverTails, which you'll find at a stand along the waterfront.  😁

enhance