Best Credit Card for Trip Protection... Sapphire Preferred?

18 minutes ago, Project-College said:

It looked like the Chase Sapphire Preferred was the best card to purchase the Cruise (new Bonus Points) and has Trip Protection Insurance.

Is this the best and do people still get the Insurance or just use this?

I just picked up the Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  One of the major reasons was Citi cancelled their insurance on travel booked using their card.  I don't think either Chase card really covers medical to the extent I prefer.  I would recommend using GeoBlue for medical coverage. Very inexpensive but it doesn't cover cancellation.  Between the Reserve and GeoBlue, things are well covered.  Just checked, wife and I over 70, yet we got a years coverage from GeoBlue for $235.

Edited by RocketMan275

21 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I just picked up the Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  One of the major reasons was Citi cancelled their insurance on travel booked using their card.  I don't think either Chase card really covers medical to the extent I prefer.  I would recommend using GeoBlue for medical coverage. Very inexpensive but it doesn't cover cancellation.  Between the Reserve and GeoBlue, things are well covered.  Just checked, wife and I over 70, yet we got a years coverage from GeoBlue for $235.

Two years ago, I researched annual options, since we started traveling more extensively. 

We have the Reserve card for the same reason you do, but thought Costco CITI still offered insurance, but with a much lower rate. We Medicare (no overseas coverage), but also have good medical. That plan has very good coverage overseas. If my med insurance wasn't good overseas, I would go with GeoBlue, which is the basically coverage we already have. We also purchase an annual MedJet, which will fly you from one hospital to another hospital of your choice. Trip and med insur will get you to medical help and get you treated, but you are stuck in the closest facility that can acceptably treat you if they won't release you or can't travel home on a commercial flight. So, you would have to purchase a med evac flight home or a flight to wherever you need to go to get the treatment you may prefer. Or, you can stay in a foreign hospital far from family and your own doctor. Medivac flights are very expensive... $10,000 to much, much more.

PS: The included airport lounge perk is nice, but you have to activate it before it can be used. Also, check the lounge policy, since they may have blackout hours when busy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...