Stateroom free movies eliminated

Nymich

We were on Equinox last week and when we got on we noticed only 5 free movies and all others were $14.99.  We checked again mid week and they were all gone.  Called Guest Relations and they said broadcasting department said that the contract had ended and they would not be offering free movies in the cabins anymore fleet wide.   Please chime in if you are seeing the same or it was just poor service and communication on the Equinox.  Cheap move on this one imo if true.  I think it was Wednesday September 2nd that the movies were gone and I got this response from Guest Relations.   Anyone cruising right now let us know.  Thanks

The last time we were on Celebrity (May), there were only a hand full of free movies playing.  We download Amazon Prime movies onto my iPad and watch those should we need to.  Is there a way to hook an iPad up to the stateroom TV's so that we can watch on a larger screen?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Still has free movies on big screen. Grab a beach towel and go watch them on the top deck.

Sure thing they showed new releases like Footloose and Wizard of Oz up there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Well, I am sort of upset.  While I didn't think the movies were particularly good in the stateroom, they were better than nothing.

Thank goodness we will have unlimited internet.  Prime and Netflix here we come.

As was already asked above, any way to plug the devices into the TV?

PS We did a 2 week holiday cruise on HAL.  The movies were amazing.

And of course, the unlimited laundry package at $7 a day per cabin.

noticed this on our last two cruises... extremely limited selection.  not surprised that they went to zero,  it seems like they are trying to eliminate anything that would keep people in their cabins  during downtime ( footstools, movies, decent dining tables, etc.)   I wonder if this is specifically aimed at making repositioning cruises more profitable ?

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Muushka said:

Well, I am sort of upset.  While I didn't think the movies were particularly good in the stateroom, they were better than nothing.

Thank goodness we will have unlimited internet.  Prime and Netflix here we come.

Yes HAL is way better with the movies they offer.  It's another cutback by Celebrity.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

noticed this on our last two cruises... extremely limited selection.  not surprised that they went to zero,  it seems like they are trying to eliminate anything that would keep people in their cabins  during downtime ( footstools, movies, decent dining tables, etc.)   I wonder if this is specifically aimed at making repositioning cruises more profitable ?

Our thoughts exactly.. they just don't want us to enjoy our staterooms. Add to the list  above a spartan decor along with the silly pillows. 

We are not big movie fans but enjoy a time out from the  go go go with a FREE movie and room service snacks.  When S Class started  out they had a great selection  on the in room  TV..

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Muushka said:

The HAL movies in December were tops... right up there with our AMA Waterways river cruise.  We enjoy watching a movie late in the afternoon while getting ready for drinks and dinner.  The only other time we watch them is when the weather is bad outside.

Please do not count on Unlimited Internet bringing you Prime and Netflix.  The signals are simply not good enough for a clear signal during your movie or to sustain a connection for that long.  As I mentioned earlier, I download movies onto my iPad before we cruise.

I do wish we could connect to the TV somehow.  Watching on that little screen, while trying to balance it while relaxing on the bed gets to be a headache.

I almost never watch the movies on the TV.  I always download a good selection of content from Amazon Prime and Netflix. We get the unlimited WiFi, but if the signal is bad for streaming, I have my downloads to go to. This cutback won’t affect me, but I can see how others might be upset. 

Mary Ann

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, UFMOM said:

I almost never watch the movies on the TV.  

Mary Ann

Now you can say you never watch them because we all lost that choice!   It's a cheap move by Celebrity  if true.   Still waiting for anybody on any X ship to double check.  Guest Relations can often be a fountain of misinformation so I want to make sure what we were told is accurate.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Still has free movies on big screen. Grab a beach towel and go watch them on the top deck.

My husband likes to watch TV in bed before falling asleep, so that’s not exactly a viable option 😠.

He doesn’t much care what he’s watching as long as it’s somewhat interesting. Is there anything on the TVs at night?

9 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

If DH and I have unlimited internet, will we be able to bring our roku stick and plug it in the tv?

We tried, it didn’t work. We download movies onto my (12”) iPad. Makes lugging that beast worthwhile 

• Like 3

We are forced to watch the no news news channels that they like to broadcast and it drives me to drink more.   I think it works against them as I have the drink pack.  

Don’t  why they have to show such BS garbage on a cruise.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

My husband likes to watch TV in bed before falling asleep, so that’s not exactly a viable option 😠.

He doesn’t much care what he’s watching as long as it’s somewhat interesting. Is there anything on the TVs at night?

HGTV and the FOOD network..  same shows seem to be on a loop.   TV options not great  😞.

So now Books on the tablet...some ships  like EDGE have No library and poor selection on others.

Now we'll have to download movies too.

On demand in the room is  much better than being on their  schedule for movies...and much  more comfy on the couch if tv swivels  or on the  bed...

Whoever is running this place seems really  out of touch with cruising and what people enjoy!  Not everyone sits at a bar all day and night!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

Sounds like this is a 'Comment Card' or 'Post Cruise Evaluation' report?

bon voyage

No doubt Bo it is however people need to know Celebrity has made all movies on demand an upcharge according to Equinox Guest Relations Desk.   It is a big change when competitors like HAL offer 20 newer movies at no charge.   We sail them both for different reasons.

I am still waiting for someone on any X ship right now to verify this.