"Personalize your Suite"?

39august

Just got a note today asking a series of questions about "personalizing" our upcoming Sky Suite experience. Among those questions, like do we want extra hangers, blankets, bed configuration. etc. is the question of what wine we would like in the suite.  I understand that suites ordinarily get a bottle of sparkling wine upon embarkation and many people exchange it for a still wine which is what I was planning to do. So, my assumption is that there would be no charge for my wine choice. But you know what they say about "assume"! Is this a new procedure? I've never seen any reference to this on these boards. I don't want to end up with a charge for  wine.

I wouldn’t assume any wine you requested in a SS wouldn’t be a charge.  Particularly since the CS suites come with the same sparkling wine & no other included wine. Did the note come from a Shoreside Concierge?  If so I would ask for clarification.

We have had our sparkling wine changed for a chardonnay, at no charge.  I don't recall ever being asked before we sailed, but the butler has always changed it when I asked.  My husband doesn't drink so the bottle lasts; I asked the butler and the cabin steward to replace the ice in the wine chiller morning and evening.  They are always most accommodating.  You should also reach out to the Shoreside Concierge for any and all special requests you might have.  We need distilled water and extension cord for CPAP and have always arranged that ahead of time thru the concierge.

47 minutes ago, 39august said:

Just got a note today asking a series of questions about "personalizing" our upcoming Sky Suite experience. Among those questions, like do we want extra hangers, blankets, bed configuration. etc. is the question of what wine we would like in the suite.  I understand that suites ordinarily get a bottle of sparkling wine upon embarkation and many people exchange it for a still wine which is what I was planning to do. So, my assumption is that there would be no charge for my wine choice. But you know what they say about "assume"! Is this a new procedure? I've never seen any reference to this on these boards. I don't want to end up with a charge for  wine.

That is interesting.  I've never been contacted pre-cruise to customize by any method of communication when sailing in a Sky Suite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

That is interesting.  I've never been contacted pre-cruise to customize by any method of communication when sailing in a Sky Suite.

Me either!  We leave Friday on our 3rd Sky Suite and have never had anyone reach out to us.  

Apparently this is new. I called CC and they had not heard of it, but they contacted the concierge who said the wine choice is complimentary. I am so ready to have my first X suite experience in 2 weeks! However, this takes away one of the things to ask the butler to do! At this point the only request for him/her is for a cheese plate every evening. 

• Like 1

We got this email before our August Equinox cruise. I dutifully filled it out. Onboard, no one knew anything about the form or my responses. I received the standard sparkling wine and had to let my butler know that we were celebrating my daughter's birthday.

What a great idea to start extending shoreside concierge contact to Sky Suites. We usually book RS and it is so nice to walk into your suite and have the correct pillows, drinks...waiting.

I would have thought from the room attendant and butlers perspective it would be better to know in advance things like pillows and wine choice...rather than ‘finishing’ rooms and then having to swap pillows and swap wine for numerous suites...

13 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

We got this email before our August Equinox cruise. I dutifully filled it out. Onboard, no one knew anything about the form or my responses. I received the standard sparkling wine and had to let my butler know that we were celebrating my daughter's birthday.

When this service was introduced for RS and PH it was at first really ‘hit and miss’. Sometimes no information got through, sometimes all the information got through and quite bizarrely on other cruises bits got through like the spirits  we had requested but not the beers and sodas.

I assume the shoreside concierge forwards to the ship but then it depends if the information actually gets to the staff who need it...

Your butler normally will be very happy to see to any request, he even offered us another bottle of wine when we finished first . Love celebrity suite restaurant and lounge way better than on any rccl or hal cruise we have done although sky suite is a little on the smaller side. 

I wouldnt call this shoreside concierge.   As far as I know this is on Edge a d Equinox  - any others?  Questions are limited, there is nowhere to add anything not listed, and there is no follow up.  I look it as a marketing opportunity. 

8 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I wouldnt call this shoreside concierge.   As far as I know this is on Edge a d Equinox  - any others?  Questions are limited, there is nowhere to add anything not listed, and there is no follow up.  I look it as a marketing opportunity. 

I am not sure I agree.  Questions ranged from what beverage do you want upon arrival and do you want extra blankets or hangers?  Not sure what they would be marketing...

It would be nice having the opportunity to ask them to leave the minibar empty in advance, for those of us who don't want them to put anything in it. 

It always seemed like such a waste of the stateroom attendant's time needing to empty it on the busiest day when they could have just left it empty for us in the first place, if they had known.

I wish they would provide that option in advance for all stateroom categories, the same way that we can choose how we want our beds configured (even though we have heard they sometimes overlook or  ignore the preference that people choose there).

• Like 2

Would it be possible to ask people to share what types of 'special requests' you make?

I haven't yet sailed in a suite, but may in the near future. Also, are the types of requests people make different in a sky Suite vs. Celebrity Suite vs Royal Suite, for example?

9 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Would it be possible to ask people to share what types of 'special requests' you make?

I haven't yet sailed in a suite, but may in the near future. Also, are the types of requests people make different in a sky Suite vs. Celebrity Suite vs Royal Suite, for example?

For Sky Suites, for example you might want a type of balcony set up (loungers?) in certain suites with larger balconies like an aft S1 Sky Suite. Perhaps you could arrange dining reservations in advance or extra pillows or something for a special occasion.   In a higher level suite like RS or PH you normally have the pre-cruise Concierge service and you might request certain bar set ups or whatever you desire.  This is a normal advance service for them.  I have sailed a CS on occasion and also have been contacted by the concierge by phone or email about 1-2 weeks in advance of our cruise.  So the difference now is that the pre-cruise contact is occurring with Sky Suites too but not by phone- just email from what has been reported.

• Thanks 1