Angled balcony question

cruisegal919

Hi, curious if wind is a concern in the front angled balconies on the Explorer?  For example 719, with the jut out is there a lot more wind on the balcony?  Thinking about going for it but not sure if it would be as usable when the ship was moving.   Thanks for any help.

We’ve been in 817 which is one deck above 719. We’ve also been in 912 which has the same balcony shape as 817.  Both balconies were a little windier than balconies with the same size dividers but there was not a lot of wind on the balcony. Hope this helps. 

Dave

5 hours ago, DaveFr said:

We’ve been in 817 which is one deck above 719. We’ve also been in 912 which has the same balcony shape as 817.  Both balconies were a little windier than balconies with the same size dividers but there was not a lot of wind on the balcony. Hope this helps. 

Dave

We have 817 booked in 2021.  I chose it partly for the larger balcony.  Do you happen to have any pics of it?  

13 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

We have 817 booked in 2021.  I chose it partly for the larger balcony.  Do you happen to have any pics of it?  

Unfortunately I cannot find any pictures of 817. Sorry. If you take a look at SuiteGuru, there are reviews of 816, 817, and 912.

Dave

• Like 1

We have been on the angled balcony that angles to the aft end.  We chose this to avoid the headwind component of the forward angling balconies.  It was great, with a terrific view to the aft of the ship.  Important on Explorer and Splendor because they have taken away outside views forward and aft throughout the ships in favor of more luxury suites.  Can't speak to the forward headwind but highly recommend the aft angled balconies.

I hesitate to weigh in here since we'd like the F2 angled balconies to remain a secret.  But, since we're batting almost 100% on booking F2 angled balconies, I'll observe that they are desirable (to us) because they are not only a bit bigger, but as a photographer I like getting out at the tip of the flare where you can take pictures directly forward.  Wouldn't be interested in that feature facing rearward.

Now, please forget my recommendation!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We were in Cabin 1001 during a May 2019 cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the angled balcony.  Regarding the wind, while I have no point of reference in another cabin, the wind was never disturbing.  Our balcony was very comfortable and we therefore spent quite a bit of time enjoying it.

Not sure if this is helpful, a picture of Explorer 816 balcony. During a particularly windy day, there likely was some additional wind but on most days, I didn't notice any difference. I agree with Portolan, don’t book one on a cruise that I might want to go on, they are terrible 😉

CD074756-6126-47BD-BD57-ED93DE736F7F.jpeg

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, taxare said:

Not sure if this is helpful, a picture of Explorer 816 balcony. During a particularly windy day, there likely was some additional wind but on most days, I didn't notice any difference. I agree with Portolan, don’t book one on a cruise that I might want to go on, they are terrible 😉

CD074756-6126-47BD-BD57-ED93DE736F7F.jpeg

Thanks. We are booked in this cabin in December!

sheila

2 hours ago, taxare said:

We’re in 912 this January.  I’m sure it’ll be terrible...    🤪

• Haha 1