Grand Asia 2021

DeeDee Groff

If anyone is interested, HAL is accepting $100. to put your name and your top three cabin choices on a waiting list for the 2021 Grand Asia so that when it's announced, you will have the opportunity to pick your cabin and give the initial deposit (less the $100.).  My TA told me this morning HAL didn't give any information when the announcement would be made, but what's happening with the 2021 Grand Asia echoes my experience in this past spring with the 2020 Grand Africa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 5:00 PM, DeeDee Groff said:

If anyone is interested, HAL is accepting $100. to put your name and your top three cabin choices on a waiting list for the 2021 Grand Asia so that when it's announced, you will have the opportunity to pick your cabin and give the initial deposit (less the $100.).  My TA told me this morning HAL didn't give any information when the announcement would be made, but what's happening with the 2021 Grand Asia echoes my experience in this past spring with the 2020 Grand Africa.

My TA said that HAL would not place this for me. Can you confirm that you actually were able to do the $100 deposit?

1 hour ago, jertom said:

My TA said that HAL would not place this for me. Can you confirm that you actually were able to do the $100 deposit?

We were able to make the $100 deposit.  Our TA told us there had been no decision made (at that time) about the Grand Asia and they may in fact do another Grand Africa.  It looks like it's between those two for 2021, but who knows. 

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I received a fairly extensive HAL catalog today, and there was no Grand Asia, or Circle Pacific, cruise shown. It did have the 2021 Grand World Cruise, but no other Grands at all. 

HAL has not announced the dates for a Grand Asia for 2021 yet - they are merely accepting placeholder deposits, much as they did for the 2020 Grand Africa sailing.  I would not expect the details of a Grand Asia for 2021 to be available until sometime in Early/Mid Q2 of 2020 at the earliest.  Some early (tentative) information may be given to those on the 2020 GWV and Grand South America Sailings however.

If what you received was the fairly thin "Cruise Catalog" they recently sent out it was more of a "highlights" brochure of their worldwide offerings and was not an exhaustive catalog in any respect.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:03 PM, jertom said:

Thanks to others confirming, our TA tried for the 3rd time and was successful in doing the placeholder deposit. As others said, it is not known whether there will actually be a 2021 Grand Asia. It seems like in essence, it is a placeholder for whatever cruise the Amsterdam does in fall 2021.

Thanks for those who posted on this thread !

• 3 months later...

Recently off the 51 day Tales of the South Pacific on Amsterdam and put a $100 placeholder deposit for 2021 Grand Asia.

if it happens it will be on the Amsterdam, 80-85 days leaving from CA in September.

Apparently, HAL is securing dock spaces for this itinerary and will not announce anything until that is secured.

Future cruise consultant did say there was lots of interest in this itinerary and many were placing deposits.

Lets keep our fingers crossed 😊

Edited by Nancy&Frank

If they do a Grand Asia in fall of 2021 it will most likely be on the Volendam after the end of her Alaska 2021 season.  Her last scheduled cruise is a 7 day round trip Vancouver September 22-29, 2021. They could do a 2 to 4 day repositioning from Vancouver to San Diego that could easily be conjoined with the Grand Asia, much as they are doing with the Amsterdam from Boston to Ft Lauderdale in fall 2020 prior to the Grand Africa cruise. 

Amsterdam is doing 7 day North/Soth Canada & New England cruises between Boston and Montreal (or reverse) until 10/9/21. She then repositions on a 14 day Atlantic Coast sailing to Ft. Lauderdale arriving 10/22/21. There would not be enough time to do a WB Panama Canal, Grand Asia, then an EB Panama Canal prior to a 2022 World cruise departing early January from Ft. Lauderdale

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

I think HAL uses these deposits to gauge interest in an itinerary.  They also did it for the Grand Africa.  We put a deposit on the GA but cancelled it once the final itinerary came out.  It was too similar to the 2020 world cruise which we are doing starting today.

Edited by KirkNC