Balcony on transatlantic?

Tee & Chilli

I’m searching for the pros and cons of two balconies on a transatlantic cruise.

The options are Central Park balcony or ocean view balcony? I’ve stayed in both types of cabins  sailing the Caribbean and enjoyed both. I’m aware the ocean view offers more opportunity for fresh air.

Will the Spring weather be too cool for the ocean view balcony?

Well as always "it depends"  Which cruise are you taking in what month?

How important is the cost to you?

I have Done TAs in Large and small ships Allure vs Jewell, in a  Large room (suite) on the Celebrity Reflection to a smaller balcony on the Jewell, we decided that we are going to save some $$ and just go with an inside cabin on our next cruise on Rhapsody.  Talking to the really seasoned travelers and it seems they were all in inside cabins so we figured we would try it.  As far as which balcony  I would never get an inside balcony as everyone can look into your window so you need to be careful.  With a regular balcony you don't need to worry about stepping out early in the morning or putting some clothes out to dry.

We have done several west bound TAs and have always taken a balcony on the port side of the ship. You may not be able to use the balcony for the first two or three days, but after that we have breakfast on the balcony most mornings. Very pleasant it is too in the afternoons. 

8 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We have done six transAtlantics, all in balcony’s. If money was a concern, we’d do an ocean view at a minimum. Our very first cruise was in an inside cabin and we swore never again. It was like sleeping in our walk in closet, small and dark.

My sentiments too.

We also would not go back to an inside cabin as we personally find them depressing.

We've done a mix of East and West TAs and have always had a balcony and have always been out there everyday. Even when the weather is not so good it's nice to get out there with a coffee and get some fresh air and watch the waves. Aft balconies are our favourite when we can get them, especially on a TA as they are more sheltered from the wind.

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Portside going west and starboard going east to get the sun

Goody.  We have a starboard side going west and we don't want the sun since we burn easily.  We love sitting in the shade on our balcony and enjoying the view.

We had a starboard ocean balcony Miami to Rome this past spring. Left March 29. We had 2 days of nice weather on the balcony. After that I layered what little warm clothing I had including the robe. I get cold easily and didn't enjoy it. So it depends on when in spring you’re going and where the route is. The inside balcony is the safe choice.

It is interesting to hear these views as we are doing our first, round-trip, TA in 6 days time :classic_smile:

We often take inside cabins but decided on a balcony this time for some extra space as this will be our longest cruise thus far (24 days). We are heading north, to Canada rather than the Caribbean, so don't expect to be sitting in the sun but hope we will be able to enjoy the fresh air enough to make it worth the cost.

Like others have indicated - if you want as much available sun as possible, remember the 'POSH' people on the ocean liners crossing from the UK to the US knew that the better weather came with 'Port Out - Starboard Home' 

All based on your position to the equator of course!

Edited by ZiggaZagga17
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Like others have indicated - if you want as much available sun as possible, remember the 'POSH' people on the ocean liners crossing from the UK to the US knew that the better weather came with 'Port Out - Starboard Home' 

All based on your position to the equator of course!

Sorry, didn't see your post

Thanks everyone I switched from the Central Park balcony to the ocean view balcony.

My deciding factor came down to cabin occupancy. The Central Park we had sleeps 2. The ocean view sleeps 3. This is important in case another family member sails with us. It’s best to secure a 3 person cabin before it’s too late.

We were on a Westbound TA last November on Celebrity Silhouette in a "hump" cabin with a deep balcony.  Dodging Hurricane Oscar, all the balcony furniture was removed for most of the crossing.  The last 3 days of the cruise it was replaced and we could use it.  It did not stop us from being out there for a time every day.  I wouldn't hesitate to take the balcony ocean view.

We did a port balcony westbound on the Symphony TA and I wished we’d done starboard. Full hot sun all day every day. It was too hot to enjoy the balcony and hot in the cabin.  Had to keep the drapes closed and might as well have been in an inside. 

23 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

We did a port balcony westbound on the Symphony TA and I wished we’d done starboard. Full hot sun all day every day. It was too hot to enjoy the balcony and hot in the cabin.  Had to keep the drapes closed and might as well have been in an inside. 

It must be true, different strokes for different folks.  We were also on that TA, deck 12 Portside forward hump. Absolutely loved the sun all day, we spent lots of time on the balcony.  It was a great trip. Have the same cabin number booked for the Allure 2020 TA. 

Edited by taglovestocruise