Recommendations for Wheelchair Accessible Hotels in Barcelona and Rome?

molly1riv

For both Barcelona and Rome, I looked at Google maps and found hotels near where I wanted to go, places I wanted to see or location near public transportation (buses or metro systems). Then I would write to the hotels and ask about accessibility. Seems like in more recent times, most have accessible accommodations. If you just click on the hotel name on the map, it will normally provide link to that hotel.

Barcelona has excellent public transportation and was able to use both buses and metro to see the sights and get to the ship. It the ship is docked at the main terminals, there is a shuttle bus at the port entrance to get you over the bridge and to the ship.

In Rome we found a hotel near the train station since we used the trains to and from the port and used the Ho Ho buses to see the sights.

It has been years since I've been in your area. Do they still have the parade with all the Arabian horses?

Have a wonderful cruise, Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

On 9/10/2019 at 6:31 PM, raindropsalways said:

For both Barcelona and Rome, I looked at Google maps and found hotels near where I wanted to go, places I wanted to see or location near public transportation (buses or metro systems). Then I would write to the hotels and ask about accessibility. Seems like in more recent times, most have accessible accommodations. If you just click on the hotel name on the map, it will normally provide link to that hotel.

Barcelona has excellent public transportation and was able to use both buses and metro to see the sights and get to the ship. It the ship is docked at the main terminals, there is a shuttle bus at the port entrance to get you over the bridge and to the ship.

In Rome we found a hotel near the train station since we used the trains to and from the port and used the Ho Ho buses to see the sights.

It has been years since I've been in your area. Do they still have the parade with all the Arabian horses?

Have a wonderful cruise, Betty

Thanks for the information Betty. Not sure which parade you’re referring to, the only one we ever watch is the Rose Parade.

42 minutes ago, molly1riv said:

Thanks for the information Betty. Not sure which parade you’re referring to, the only one we ever watch is the Rose Parade.

I think my age is showing. Back in the 40s, someplace in the Riverside area there was an annual parade mainly of Arabian horses with riders appropriately dressed. We had stables in the Los Angeles area and my dad attended or participated in most parades. Yes, I have also attended a Rose Parade.

The Hassler in Rome is accessible.  It's also wonderful -- personal service, warm, friendly staff.  The location, at the top of the Spanish Steps, is, on one hand, privileged in terms of views and easy access everywhere.  OTOH, it can make for steep walking/rolling, so taxis may be required to get to and from the hotel.

On 9/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, molly1riv said:

Booked the Enchanted Princess from Barcelona  to Rome Oct 2020 and looking for pre and post cruise hotel recommendations for wheelchair access. Require a roll in shower.

In Rome I have found Albergo Santa Chiara to be an excellent choice. It is only one block behind the Pantheon, and we enjoyed using the restaurants facing the Pantheon and the fantastic central location we had to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, etc. As a paraplegic I found the bed in room 120 to be low enough for easy transfer to the bed and there are 2 bathrooms, one my wife used and the wheelchair washroom was huge, as far as I remember there was a roll in shower, but you could ask the hotel. The staff are very friendly and the included breakfast was fine. I believe they have another accessible room, but Room 120 is outstanding in my view.

On 9/18/2019 at 7:45 PM, dgraham said:

In Rome I have found Albergo Santa Chiara to be an excellent choice. It is only one block behind the Pantheon, and we enjoyed using the restaurants facing the Pantheon and the fantastic central location we had to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, etc. As a paraplegic I found the bed in room 120 to be low enough for easy transfer to the bed and there are 2 bathrooms, one my wife used and the wheelchair washroom was huge, as far as I remember there was a roll in shower, but you could ask the hotel. The staff are very friendly and the included breakfast was fine. I believe they have another accessible room, but Room 120 is outstanding in my view.

Thank you so much, I will give them a call. I appreciate your help!

On 9/16/2019 at 2:03 PM, ysolde said:

The Hassler in Rome is accessible.  It's also wonderful -- personal service, warm, friendly staff.  The location, at the top of the Spanish Steps, is, on one hand, privileged in terms of views and easy access everywhere.  OTOH, it can make for steep walking/rolling, so taxis may be required to get to and from the hotel.

Thank you very much for the recommendation, we’ll check them out!

• 3 weeks later...