Celebrity Silhouette, Norwegian Fjords Sept. 1 2019

Bimmer09

5 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

One of my uncles owned a marina at the very eastern end of Long Island ,NY where he used Esso gasoline to fuel the boats docked there. I can still remember the Esso  sign he had on the property. This was at least fifty years ago !

Also, A River Went Through It - as I recall it is  a movie?

My DH and I are continuing to enjoy your review and photos. Norway offers some beautiful scenery and charming towns.

MJ thanks for following along!

A River runs through it....was a movie indeed.

Norway was a complete 180 degrees from our last cruise to Cuba, which we loved.

All the towns in Norway looked trim and organized. I didn't see any homes that weren't proudly looked after nor cars held together with duct tape. It's a very rich country financially but then so is the USA. Cuba is a poor country but the people are very warm and welcoming.

We were in Norway for the scenery and that was stunning every step of the way as you have seen from the photos. 

The streets were clean, everything worked and it wasn't as "touristy" as it could have been.

We only interacted with waiters and shopkeepers but all were friendly and welcoming.

The rain may have dampened our clothes but not our spirits and like in Northern Ireland it made the fields very green and the flowers spectacular.

We'll be back!

Norris

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

We recently did a 2 day trip down Route 66 for 200 miles and I lovingly photographed it on my Flickr page. Saw some little towns I would never have seen before and met a lot of nice people. (click the link below where the ? is)

Along Route 66 in Illinois

Norris

Thanks for the link. Great photos. I've driven large chunks of The Mother Road, mostly in the West. Although I did do a bit of it in Springfield, Illinois. Here's a link to my Flickr album about Route 66:

Route 66

(BTW, I noticed that you have two different Flickr profiles. I've been following your other one for quite awhile now. Didn't know about the one with the Route 66 link, though. I'm now following that one as well. I need to go back and check out some of your other albums. Lots of good stuff there!)

Edited by Jasperdo
  • Like 1

Norris... loving your review... We are going on the same cruise next August and I'm making notes as I follow along.

We're not fans of ship excursions and always either get a private guide or make it a DIY day.  Since it appears quite easy to purchase train tickets online, do you think the Flamsbana train to Myrdall both directions would give us a good idea of the scenery in the area?

I assume we would need to find transportation to/from the train station, unless it's within walking distance of the port (which I haven't researched yet).

Anxious to read the rest of your trip notes.  Thanks for taking the time!

On 9/10/2019 at 5:17 AM, Bimmer09 said:

In the meantime, patient readers, here is the backstory ...

We booked this cruise for September 2018 as we were leaving the Reflection January 2017.

After that we booked an Azamara to Cuba cruise for January 2019. During the interim we figured those were two biggish spends close together and pushed the Norway to the side of the Fjord for a year. 

Before we sailed to the Fjords (tip-don't pronounce the J. The Norwegians can't spell) I looked at our sailing and found that our Suite 7358 had an empty cabin next door. Same aft view but half the price and so I called Carol to a planning meeting and we decided we could live without a butler, Luminae, Blu and Michael's if it saved us $5500. That savings could now pay for an aft cabin on the new Sky Princess to the Western Caribbean in January 2020.

So I canceled the Suite and booked 7360.

Prior to the cruise I found us a hotel in London and limo transfers (via Blackberry Cars) to Southampton and from Soton back to London via Smiths on September 8th.

Carol bought Oyster cards for us which have nothing to do with shellfish (I later found out)

but paid for our bus and Tube travel. She also bought HoHo tickets on a Big Bus tour.

We also bought ship excursions for each of the ports which of course we had to pay in advance.

Norris

Hi, Noris

On 9/10/2019 at 5:17 AM, Bimmer09 said:

In the meantime, patient readers, here is the backstory ...

We booked this cruise for September 2018 as we were leaving the Reflection January 2017.

After that we booked an Azamara to Cuba cruise for January 2019. During the interim we figured those were two biggish spends close together and pushed the Norway to the side of the Fjord for a year. 

Before we sailed to the Fjords (tip-don't pronounce the J. The Norwegians can't spell) I looked at our sailing and found that our Suite 7358 had an empty cabin next door. Same aft view but half the price and so I called Carol to a planning meeting and we decided we could live without a butler, Luminae, Blu and Michael's if it saved us $5500. That savings could now pay for an aft cabin on the new Sky Princess to the Western Caribbean in January 2020.

So I canceled the Suite and booked 7360.

Prior to the cruise I found us a hotel in London and limo transfers (via Blackberry Cars) to Southampton and from Soton back to London via Smiths on September 8th.

Carol bought Oyster cards for us which have nothing to do with shellfish (I later found out)

but paid for our bus and Tube travel. She also bought HoHo tickets on a Big Bus tour.

We also bought ship excursions for each of the ports which of course we had to pay in advance.

Norris

Hi, Norris. Looking forward to your adventure.

Mark

7 hours ago, twincheryl said:

Norris... loving your review... We are going on the same cruise next August and I'm making notes as I follow along.

We're not fans of ship excursions and always either get a private guide or make it a DIY day.  Since it appears quite easy to purchase train tickets online, do you think the Flamsbana train to Myrdall both directions would give us a good idea of the scenery in the area?

I assume we would need to find transportation to/from the train station, unless it's within walking distance of the port (which I haven't researched yet).

Hi and thanks for the response!

If you look at my first pictures of Flam from the ship you'll see the trains right there about 2 minutes walk from the ship.

Carol and I agree that if we returned to Flam we would just take the train out to Myrdall and return the same way. I'd like to spend more time at the port as it had plenty of outdoor eateries and places to drink and relax with the ship a hundred yards away. There are some Sognefjord excursions by boat one could take too.

I'll have photos from the Flambana but as yet have no idea if they are any good as I haven't seen them. I am out of the house for 11 hours a day and besides writing this I have plenty to do at home. I see the photos about an hour before you do.

Norris

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kauai Kid said:

Hi, Noris

Hi, Norris. Looking forward to your adventure.

Mark

Hey Mark-long time no see. Welcome aboard!

Norris (how did you find me?)

13 hours ago, twincheryl said:

I think we are on the same cruise, next August 28th ?. This thread from Norris has been absolutely  invaluable. We intend to just jump on the Flamsbana, as looking at some of the pics the station appears to be within easy walking distance from the dock

• Like 1

Voss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voss

48860258942_183d18f3ce_k.jpg

48860266807_67ffb8c94b_k.jpg

48860267357_303e51e742_k.jpg

Voss church

48860268087_8b5ab24754_k.jpg

Our lunch stop, the Park Hotel

48860269822_9cbc6eebc9_k.jpg

We stopped for lunch here and trooped off the bus into this large hotel where communal tables

had been laid out. There was a wide array of hot and cold food in a long buffet. We snagged a couple of seats at the end of a table for a dozen people and hit the buffet

48860271287_6cae94c949_k.jpg

I would have felt a nuisance had I gone down the line of food taking pictures as people were trying to plate some tasty food so just one pic before loading up a plate with crab, chicken, salmon and meatballs in a rich mushroom gravy, with grilled tomatoes and big boiled potatoes with chives atop. There was, as expected, lots of seafood to choose from. Soft drinks were provided gratis but I paid for a bottle of Norwegian beer. It was a fine meal indeed.

a nearby dining room for paying customers

48860276152_42f9485131_k.jpg

We were told that we'd have an hour after lunch for shopping/sightseeing before meeting a new guide at the front of the train station a few hundred yards away. After a restroom break, Carol and I decided to go to the station and wait as there was a cold breeze blowing off the lake.

48860081301_5330e3f807_k.jpg

48859728258_81218e6ad3_k.jpg

• Like 2

I am so glad that I found your review.  Your pictures and writing style are amazing.  I am planing my first trip to London and Norway next June.  The waiting is the hardest part and I am trying to find as much information that I can to pass the time.  Thank you for doing the review and adding so many pictures.

Janice

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CRLess said:

Really enjoying your pictures!

Chris-thank you!

Glad to see you are still following along.

Any cruises on your horizon?

Norris

9 hours ago, JaniceB said:

I am so glad that I found your review.  Your pictures and writing style are amazing.  I am planing my first trip to London and Norway next June.  The waiting is the hardest part and I am trying to find as much information that I can to pass the time.  Thank you for doing the review and adding so many pictures.

Janice

Janice- I 'm happy that you are enjoying this and finding it useful.

Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated!

You can make the cruise come much quicker by researching-works for us!

TripAdvisor is my go-to. I have 186 reviews there but no London or Norway yet as I have been busy with this. I found our hotel, car services, restaurants on there plus Carol supplemented with Yelp reviews and got us into the Churchill War Rooms, a play, Norwegian restaurants and was always at my side with the words of Rick Steves. 

Norris

• Like 1

We would be taking the 1.41 train to Myrdall to meet up with the Flamsbana train. Carol had found us a nice warm unwind place to wait for it but of course I had to pop outside for a cigarette and a photograph, now and then

from the grassy roof of a building across from us (the Tourist Office I think)

48859730668_2ca08273a5_k.jpg

Voss is a summer and winter playground for Norwegians. Snow was predicted for the following week-in mid September. Skiis were being waxed even as I took these pics

48859732773_aeede9568b_k.jpg

48860282202_5faa2b17d7_k.jpg

a ski lift would soon be kept busy

48859734543_ff827e4a28_k.jpg

triple bacon? sign me up!

48859735578_50fbcfaf49_k.jpg

price per liter -at that time about $8 a gallon

48860089666_0296edf90f_k.jpg

After an hour a crowd starts to form outside and block the entrance to the station for Norwegians going about their business-train riding.  We went outside to join them and hear what instructions , if any, might be offered. Basically we had a carriage reserved and it was seat yourself. When the announcement came on time and the train arrived we all piled on and found somewhere to sit for the 40 minute (?) ride to Myrdall.

• Like 1

Norris, amazing pictures as usual. Thank you both for sharing this special trip to Norway with us.

So green too - not like our poor sunburned and very dry part of Australia right now.

Caught up to this review after reading your Azamara cruise review to Cuba. What gorgeous baroque-style public buildings they have. We don't often get to see those treasures of Havana. ( Really enjoy your art deco shots in Miami too each time you go there.)

Regarding Ry Cooder, I think his and Manuel Galban's version of "Secret Love" is just so beautiful and sweet.

Looking forward to reading on about Norway, Celebrity Silhouette and your final stay in London.

Tessa

• Like 1

6 hours ago, temani said:

Norris, amazing pictures as usual. Thank you both for sharing this special trip to Norway with us.

Looking forward to reading on about Norway, Celebrity Silhouette and your final stay in London.

Tessa

Tessa, thanks for the kind compliments!

I'm happy that you are following along.

I have another long workday today so won't be able to continue until late this evening.

Back much later!

Norris

Norris

I was in Voss at the end of my final year at school. Doesn't look to have changed much! I wish I could say the same for me.

It was the dearest place I have ever been for alcohol. When I went on to University there was always a large Norwegian contingent there we spent their whole time in one of the bars, At that time you could get around 7 pints of beer for £1. In Norway it was £1.50 for 1.  

9 hours ago, CRLess said:

Sky Princess at the end of Feb/Early March.

Sweet, Chris! I'll be on the Sky January 18 and am looking forward to the French Bistro and the Jazz bar. Aft cabin as always. Western Caribbean 7 days.

It was you who urged me to try the Royal Class (in my case Regal Princess) and the Sky takes that class up a notch.

Where in the Caribbean are you sailing?

Norris

8 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Norris

I was in Voss at the end of my final year at school. Doesn't look to have changed much! I wish I could say the same for me.

It was the dearest place I have ever been for alcohol. When I went on to University there was always a large Norwegian contingent there we spent their whole time in one of the bars, At that time you could get around 7 pints of beer for £1. In Norway it was £1.50 for 1.  

Gordon-Hoots mon!- that's a hefty price back in the day!

I was surprised that food and drink wasn't super expensive in Norway but even before we went my mindset was "I don't care how much it costs I'm eating ashore and drinking some beer" and the restaurant beers I drank were $9 which still beat the price of a Stella on the ship!

Norwegian cuisine isn't famous-it's simple grub but I like that. I'm from Northern Ireland so am used to simple fresh ingredients not gussied-up. I just wish I had sampled more food ashore, in Alesund and Flam. It was there for the taking. Even on the ship I don't eat my "money's worth", not even in the buffet where you can go back again and again for more. We'll have another meal in Stavanger.

Thanks for the comment, Gordon!

Norris

48873549936_d938395359_k.jpg

48873018868_05e0296d25_k.jpg

48873551316_f216f02541_k.jpg

48873747957_c591175602_k.jpg

no signs of the 21st century in this scene

48873751857_756fad6072_k.jpg

48873033238_c6aa8a6614_k.jpg

48873565511_05a5feb019_k.jpg

unspoiled

48873033888_146d94a0c5_k.jpg

we pull into the station at Myrdal where we will have a 5 minute wait for the Flam train

• Like 1

8 hours ago, perfect match said:

I am very much traveling along with you and Carol on this beautiful journey through Norway! Thank you for taking me along!

Nancy, always a pleasure to have you along in my reviews!

My thanks to you!

Norris

Norris. Great commentary & photos as always. I’m finally all caught up. A semi-technical question . You mentioned that you took your tripod. I did purchase a travel tripod and considering taking it on our next cruise. Just wondering about where to pack it. If it’s in a suitcase will it looked like I’m ‘armed’ if the suitcase is scanned? And did you use your tripod much? Is it even worth taking. I’m thinking on board photos? Did you use your tripod for the beautiful interior photos that you took?

Maris

• Like 1