Celebrity Silhouette, Norwegian Fjords Sept. 1 2019

Bimmer09

Norris, I haven’t forgotten you! We have been away on a land trip of our own, followed by some unexpectedly busy days when we returned home. I’m finally caught up, and, as usual, I have thoroughly enjoyed your beautiful pictures and wonderfully entertaining narrative! 

I will I’ll be here until the very end, and be looking for your Sky Princess narrative on January 26!  😎

4 hours ago, rdt10 said:

Norris, I've been following your review with great interest. Fantastic pictures and commentary. We are doing the same cruise next year and finding your review very helpful in deciding what to do in each of the ports. 

I've been looking at the Royal Horseguards Hotel for our stay in London as it looks wonderful. Do you have any suggestions regarding the rooms there. I'm trying to decide between the River View and Garden View King Rooms. Do you think the River view was worth the extra cost?

Thanks. Rick

Rick the  garden view would give you a very pretty public garden to look at but for us we always ask for a high floor as far from traffic noise as we can get and when I saw the photos of the Horseguards with those tall trees I was glad we got rooms on 6 and 7, though higher would have been even better for us. To wake up with a Nespresso and a view of St Paul's in one window and the London Eye and all that boat traffic in the other was unforgettable and there was no forgetting we were in London. 

The Horseguards is an old fashioned hotel with few amenities like fitness centers and pools and convention rooms and that's exactly what we like. We like olde worlde charm, elegance and quiet with stellar service and that's what we got. We will go back to London and will book the same hotel again. Eating breakfast outdoors was fabulous! 

Thanks for reading this and for the kind comments! I hope you will read my next two- Sky Princess on January 26th (Western Caribbean) and Azamara Pursuit, October 11 (Rome to Venice via Adriatic ports and all three ships in Koper for a 10th Azamara anniversary)

Norris

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, perfect match said:

Norris, I haven’t forgotten you! We have been away on a land trip of our own, followed by some unexpectedly busy days when we returned home. I’m finally caught up, and, as usual, I have thoroughly enjoyed your beautiful pictures and wonderfully entertaining narrative! 

I will I’ll be here until the very end, and be looking for your Sky Princess narrative on January 26!  😎

Nancy, where was your land trip? We just had a quick 3 day driving tour to Northern Michigan with not the best weather but fantastic nonetheless. 960 miles in 3 days.

We are choosing excursions for the Sky Princess cruise and will be happy to have the sun on our faces again. We will be eating ashore at some ports which is my favorite thing. I'm looking forward to Roatan as the swimming is good there near where the ship docks. I never swim on the ships. 

I know about busy days and they have kept me away from the computer more than normal when writing a review. January is not a busy month for me.

Coming to the end so thanks for sticking with this!

Norris

25 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Rick the  garden view would give you a very pretty public garden to look at but for us we always ask for a high floor as far from traffic noise as we can get and when I saw the photos of the Horseguards with those tall trees I was glad we got rooms on 6 and 7, though higher would have been even better for us. To wake up with a Nespresso and a view of St Paul's in one window and the London Eye and all that boat traffic in the other was unforgettable and there was no forgetting we were in London. 

The Horseguards is an old fashioned hotel with few amenities like fitness centers and pools and convention rooms and that's exactly what we like. We like olde worlde charm, elegance and quiet with stellar service and that's what we got. We will go back to London and will book the same hotel again. Eating breakfast outdoors was fabulous! 

Thanks for reading this and for the kind comments! I hope you will read my next two- Sky Princess on January 26th (Western Caribbean) and Azamara Pursuit, October 11 (Rome to Venice via Adriatic ports and all three ships in Koper for a 10th Azamara anniversary)

Norris

Thank you Norris. The Horseguards sounds perfect. I'll definitely request a room on an upper floor. Your review has us very excited about our trip next year. Looking forward to your future reviews.

Rick

• Like 1

Goin' down the pub

Carol- my researcher- found us a pub that promised water views but it was in Southwark and her research showed we could take a tube (and I don't mean toothpaste) to Blackfriars and walk across a bridge to our destination. We walked to Embankment station a one minute walk.

I liked this little tourist shop along the way

49018471393_22de53c0e0_b.jpg

in Embankment station, so much better lit than I recall platforms being

49019197937_4e9750d5e9_b.jpg

our only tube trip even though we had an Oyster card for getting around on public transport

49018475453_74552aba5c_b.jpg

after a very short ride we emerged up into the sun again

49019001311_a3703051db_b.jpg

one of our favorite buildings

49019002196_1545d059bf_b.jpg

49018478313_26e47637ef_b.jpg

we had to go down a long flight of steps to get to the pub level

49019003936_e5c8abfe69_b.jpg

the dark cloud was moving North so not an issue

49018479818_d1184a1522_b.jpg

the pub was found after a walk along a busy riverside walk offering a great view

49018480783_971b8fb50c_b.jpg

49018484153_b1bc942664_b.jpg

not a historic pub where Dickens drank but it had the location to offer and served food and drink

https://www.foundersarms.co.uk

if you click on their gallery there are good pics inside and out, which I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking. You can see the tempting menus too

I had to go to the bar to get our drinks as there were no waiters taking orders

49019006951_a6ea9a740b_b.jpg

we sat for maybe an hour, relaxing and soaking up the vibe. Foreign languages spoken a plenty.

A table of Brits nearby heard us speak and started chatting-how long are we here for, how did we get here etc. I try to avoid being "that guy with the camera" in crowded situations like this so I don't roam the tables taking unwanted pictures. While we sat there on a balmy Sunday evening Carol was finding a way to get us to our dinner spot which came highly recommended to her from a cyber friend who lives in London. A fish and chip shop in Covent Garden. Taking the tube involved a train change and left us with a walk, so we agreed on letting Uber get us there. We both use Lyft in the USA but loaded the Uber app as they are more prevalent in London.

We both enjoyed visiting the Founder's Arms with its stellar views and ambiance

49019007796_db235b41c0_b.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Norris

Thanks for the tips Norris . We many look into it for April's and May's cruises .

• Like 1

The Last Supper

We Ubered our way over to Covent Garden chatting to the African driver as we rode on unfamiliar streets. In Chicago we gave up using taxis a couple of years ago and don't miss the dirty cars, reckless driving and listening to one half of a phone conversation with someone back in Turkmenistan.  We use Lyft and like their service and pricing and lack of would-be race car drivers yakking on a phone. 

Before going to London I had been looking to have a fine dinner at Gordon Ramsay's on Hospital Road, the foundation of his Empire just to satisfy my curiosity but I really enjoyed our pub meals and their economy: you are hungry, there's a pub, go in, no reservations or dressing up.  So when Carol mentioned Rock and  Sole Plaice, a fishy play on words I was game but after having fish and chips 4 times already in the last 9 days I was going to avoid ordering fish and chips.

Looking back I may have been insane however there are other British dishes I crave living on this side of the pond.

49019535917_bc64982f91_b.jpg

In business since 1871?!!! Yikes, that's impressive. Fish and chips is very simple cooking

and is a good counter in Britain to the myriad of Indian and Chinese restaurants that appear in every town. This chip shop came recommended and the smells wafting from the kitchen into the street where we would be sitting were familiar and welcomed. They were frying with ground nut oil which was a new one on me. We have used peanut oil at home.

no takeaway fish fingers and chips for us

49018805348_b832544b7d_b.jpg

The menu of delights but I had to go in and order 

49019552562_3d9ca7ce7f_b.jpg

rock is rock cod but Carol ordered the plaice. Me, I ordered a favorite non-fish dish called steak and kidney pie, knowing I would get to try Carol's fish.

I went in and met the cooks, one of which posed for me

49018836313_4b7b5f8328_b.jpg

I told them the photos were for TripAdvisor and I meant it

49019369051_f7eec82bfd_b.jpg

the evening was too beautiful and pleasant to sit inside

49018846638_8fd5c6fa3e_b.jpg

we shared a table with two Asian girls for a short time before they left

while we waited

49019371321_f3e29f234d_b.jpg

my steak and kidney pie was delivered

49019371786_851bc9312c_b.jpg

a red bottle of Sarson's malt vinegar was pressed into use as was some salt.

Big chunky, hand-cut fries, crispy on the outside, pillowy soft potato within. Fantastic. Happy.

Good slow cooked chunks of beef and kidney in a rich gravy. Very happy.

Carol's fish and chips

49019372556_6435ba8dcd_b.jpg

No need for fine dining when this good simple comfort food is on the end of your fork

49018849153_bfc748f09d_b.jpg

I think 50 GBP covered it. Takeaway is about 40% cheaper and a steal. (see green menu board in photo)

a home run and we agreed it was worth the trip to get here. We will go back when we do a land visit to London which we have already been talking about. Maybe 4 days with 3 in Northern Ireland.

The light was fading but while we were in the area we decided to walk our meal off by searching for the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden before heading back to our hotel..

• Like 2

All caught up! Amazing review as usual. The London photos are gorgeous. Sun with a few clouds makes for he best photos. Looks like you had perfect accommodations in London. 
I worry about the Edgeification of the Solstice class Celebrity ships. I guess it happens to the Silhouette after it crosses the ocean. I met a woman the other day who is on that cruise, possibly right now. Fortunately our next cruise on the Reflection & it doesn’t get drydocked until 2023.

Thanks again for posting such great reviews and photos and thanks to Carol for keeping her extensive notes. 

13 hours ago, Marvy Mare said:

All caught up! Amazing review as usual. The London photos are gorgeous. Sun with a few clouds makes for he best photos. Looks like you had perfect accommodations in London. 
I worry about the Edgeification of the Solstice class Celebrity ships. I guess it happens to the Silhouette after it crosses the ocean. I met a woman the other day who is on that cruise, possibly right now. Fortunately our next cruise on the Reflection & it doesn’t get drydocked until 2023.

Thanks again for posting such great reviews and photos and thanks to Carol for keeping her extensive notes. 

Hi, Maris and thanks for the very kind words.

The Edge has a series of missteps and blunders in her design for my taste and I'm not alone and I just hope X  thinks things through a little more in the future Edgefication. Already I see them putting sofas and chairs where the "bocce ball"  (seldom used) space was and I bet they haven't got a place to put all that furniture when it rains- the Sunset Bar was a disaster in Norway as the furniture and cushions just got wet as the  crew weren't on their game.

I'm all for practicality over fluff any day. Designers have to imagine being passengers and no shade on the sun deck where the metal garden is was a big gaff. But we'll see. I'm an upper deck dweller as you know.

For us I think a 4th cruise line choice is on the horizon. So many choices now.

I'm leaning away from Seabourn as it only has 4 aft cabins and they are priced high. Viking is on the radar, and maybe just maybe if they stop the brochure price fiction Oceania will be considered.

Smaller ships.

We are beyond Norway now and looking forward to January on the new Sky Princess and are in excursion researching mode. We've already decided no excursions in Grand Cayman (an island with little character as far as we are concerned) but there we will dine ashore. Belize will be the zoo (featured recently on Jeff Corwin's "Ocean treks" show and a butterfly/tropical birds place. Cozumel- Carol might not even get off the ship but I will and Roatan will be beach swim in that cool Carnival manicured port complex with the chair lift and a botanical garden visit.

So looking forward to some sun and color in my photos.

Thanks for following along Maris!

Norris, in the home stretch

10 hours ago, cinnamon said:

Norris, Groundnut is another name for Peanuts, so, same oil. 😀

Thanks for that info!

I started cooking chips in N Ireland when I was about 5 as I have always been useful in the kitchen- when I was on my dad's cargo ship I would help the chef in the galley- and back then I was cooking with lard and later  beef dripping. It was only when I left home at aged 18 to live in London that I discovered oil (probably Canola or vegetable) and, many years later the said peanut oil which was the very best.

Norris

The Royal Opera House

We didn't have far to walk said Google Maps.

A cozy pub along the way

49024419526_ac25f2a609_b.jpg

a couple of street turns ....

49023918633_7e043c2e7c_b.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Opera_House

their season won't start until September 16, a week away 

49024655672_4235eceacc_b.jpg

nothing happening tonight

49023929093_8c10f7488e_b.jpg

the steel and glass section was added in 1999 to give more bar and restaurant space

49023929903_760da5194e_b.jpg

49024449761_17dc5796f0_b.jpg

someday we will go inside holding tickets!

• Like 1

We summoned an Uber to pick us up at the ROH and within 20 minutes we were back at the hotel and a few minutes later took one last look before an early to bed, early to rise

The Coca Cola London Eye

49029677722_f9664587e4_b.jpg

It was there next morning  when I was out around 6 a.m

49024022033_bce1a92b7e_b.jpg

too early for the Starbucks next door so I got my cup of Joe here

49024551231_6bd2cb801f_b.jpg

I sat at a table outside with my coffee and an ashtray and was joined by a Welsh man who rolled his own cigarettes for economic purposes. During our chat I mentioned the clever homeless people who sleep in tents on the streets and he said " I always have trouble folding mine up".

He was a construction worker at the site a 100 yards away where a 25 million pounds sewer upgrade was in progress and was sleeping in a tent during his contract to save money.

Another Welsh construction worker joined us and they both spoke in Welsh, something I had never witnessed before. It was time for me to move on as we were having an early breakfast in the Horseguards before getting an Uber to the airport

we would be eating indoors as it was early and not yet warm enough to sit outside

the hot food awaits

49024790642_25517a70be_b.jpg

49024583406_c09b2e62ea_b.jpg

today a modest plate for me

49024585401_11be155e1d_b.jpg

49024606536_4e7d6a7c45_b.jpg

Carol's scrambled eggs and ham

49024805677_0dac8f25eb_b.jpg

we pack like people who have done this before-a well oiled machine. Even in a small room there is no bumping into each other: spatial awareness and a focus on the task

We leave enough time to go to Monument Station to see if we can get a refund on the unused portion of our little-used Oyster card for public transit. Alas our balance is too big and must be claimed online.

49024819917_03bc1f035c_b.jpg

On the brief walk back to the hotel a sign shows the attractions within a 5 minute walk

49024821777_ebf81dcf59_b.jpg

While I am savoring our last minutes in Whitehall I order an Uber to Heathrow.

Meanwhile up in our room Carol summons an Uber to Heathrow. I had to cancel mine while he was en route and paid a 6 pounds penalty, which was a good learning experience. We gave up the motorcade which was the only downside .

We don't weep into our suitcases while packing (well, not much) as we knew this day would come, which is something our cat didn't. We were looking forward to seeing her again

49029429013_c74b5c0ddc_b.jpg

Snowy, the cat, taken just an hour ago. She lives! Viva Snowy!

the hotel doorman helped with our bags and we were in a nice car on our way to Heathrow....

Edited by Bimmer09
removing the letter d
  • Like 4

Thank you Norris and Carol for another fabulous travel journal!  Have been with you all along, I just don't comment much.  Already have my calendar marked in January for your Sky Princess (can't wait to "hear" your thoughts as we hope to sail her later 2020), and again in October for your Azamara journey!

Love Snowy!

Tracy

We left the hotel behind as it was much too big to pack and we will need it to stay put and await our return, for return we shall. We had a flight around 10 a.m so gave ourselves 2.5 hours to cover the Heathrow trip and the inevitable time-suck of that vast bonkers airport second only to Atlanta for aggravation and long distance carry-on schlepping.

I would normally have taken mucho pics along the Uber route but there is only a shot of Egerton Terrace SW3 a rare opportunity as there wasn't a truck driving right  beside us

49024096343_0e66892fd7_b.jpg

I look at my watch and there is enough time for a flashback....

readers will remember that I began this review on September 10 and immediately was in the story-telling weeds. For me (us) the vacation/cruise begins with leaving Chicago behind and I was thwarted by Flickr issues. F wouldn't accept my iPhone photos so I had to skip the beginning of our odyssey. "I'll do a flashback once I get it fixed" I told Carol.

After a week of back and forth emails with Flickr's helpful desk I found I had to (a) eliminate an old account and upgrade my 2nd account which has all my Rome to Barcelona pics for $ 50 to allow more capacity for the iPhone photos. I am now down to just 2 Flickr accounts holding a total of 20,000 photos .

Then Youtube proved problematic and I had to spend $80 on a Vimeo Plus video account, so I am out $130 but in good shape technologically for a long time to come.

Now as the car drove along the awakening London streets on this Monday morning, September 10 2019 I felt the flashback coming on.  My eyes went blurry and voices began to echo and diminish in volume. The road ahead began to rotate antic-clockwise and the faster it spun the more I remembered.....

Norris, Thank you for a fantastic review. Your writing style is so easy and enoyable to follow along, and of course your pictures are always fantastic, always waiting patiently for the next installment. I especially enjoy the early morning ventures and your description of enjoying a cup of local coffee and watching a city awake.  I met you several years ago aboard the Ruby Princess, I believe, at a CC Meet & Greet and I've been quietly following your reviews as they come along. We are sailing Celebrity and Silhouette very soon for a change of venue and experiences. It's certainly interesting, the common refrain across the various forums, of getting just a bit tired of our long time cruise line host and wondering if there is something better to experience out there. It is common on all the boards. The honeymoon is over I guess. I'm sure we will thoroughly enjoy the Silhouette and your pictures make us anxious to board and enjoy.

Your final flashback and online storage challenges brings one song to mind..... hey, hey, you, you, get off of my cloud. How did the Stones know what the future held???

Bruce

Norris, thanks for a great review. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and comments. Your review brought back a lot of fond memories of our cruise to Norway a few years ago. Thanks  again for a fantastic review.

August 29

O'hare airport, Chicago

49029223728_bac653087f_b.jpg

we are trekking to Terminal C which is a long walk starting in Illinois and ending in Iowa according to my feet but made easier by a conveyor belt and the United theme tune Rhapsody in Blue by George Gerswhin who had no idea when he wrote it that we would hear it so many times we'd be sick of it.

49029963342_aae85af8d7_b.jpg

other people were flying that night apparently

49029265098_3920619b65_b.jpg

We are flying Business Class (Hooray!) through a miles and money upgrade, so that we arrive in London fresh and frisky. We consider that we will be able to sleep for a few hours during the crossing. The United Business class lounge is called ....

49029260463_77d9f80804_b.jpg

they actually have a restaurant within but it closed at 7.30 which is about when we arrived but luckily there was a buffet selection near the bar

this was my plate with a BBQ pork slider, some ravioli, mushrooms and broccoli with flavorful rice and beans. I had been at work until 4 pm and was ravenous.

49029975307_e1af06a5fb_b.jpg

the plane that would fly us to London sat outside as all the seats in the lounge were taken

49029971562_d483690abe_b.jpg

would be leaving on time

49029763616_c30948815c_b.jpg

We were a the airport, on time, were fed and relaxed and on the first leg of our cruise vacation.

Yippee!

Onboard our flight

We are sitting in sleeping pods. Carol's is about 6 feet away and a wrap around seat fixture obscures her and everyone else on the plane from my gaze. There's no seat in front of me but rather a bulkhead where the kitchen begins between us and First class. The bulkhead supports this

49029778351_5e1de30486_b.jpg

before I sit I have to find space for the blanket, the pillow, the headphones and the amenity kit that are placed on my seat. I get organized . There's a lot of legroom which will come in handy when I switch the seat to a sleeping position later.

a drink is offered and I opt for a Pinot Grigio to sip and savor while perusing the menu for dinner

49029783826_5d45be5a0b_b.jpg

49029278308_c502717860_b.jpg

only a 7hour flight with the wind behind us

49030003292_49eaa2908d_b.jpg

on time we leave the gate and have no wait on the runway. Pedal to the metal!

49030007402_11768b38f9_b.jpg

Chicago down below

once we have leveled off...

my smoked duck with faro salad, dried cranberries, brined carrots and whole grain mustard

49029800691_b1a8055f18_b.jpg

followed by

49029807576_9afbb8c77c_b.jpg

seared lemongrass salmon, with coconut red curry sauce, Thai coconut risotto, stir fry bell peppers, carrot and onion. First class vittles!

and soon after

ice cream sundae with Ghirardelli hot fudge and sea salt caramel sauce with M & Ms

washed down with a Bailey's on the rocks, a favorite treat

49030025507_a096247471_b.jpg

we were flying over Canada before I went to sleep

49029306458_3d142a2bab_b.jpg

next....London down below

6 hours ago, Sadebud said:

Thank you Norris and Carol for another fabulous travel journal!  Have been with you all along, I just don't comment much.  Already have my calendar marked in January for your Sky Princess (can't wait to "hear" your thoughts as we hope to sail her later 2020), and again in October for your Azamara journey!

Love Snowy!

Tracy

Tracy, thanks as always, for following along!

I am sure I will have plenty to say about the Sky Princess and am very much looking forward to sailing on her. Azamara Quest will find me in Rome and Venice and some new ports to us.

Cheers!

Norris

3 hours ago, Dbld777 said:

Norris, Thank you for a fantastic review. Your writing style is so easy and enoyable to follow along, and of course your pictures are always fantastic, always waiting patiently for the next installment. I especially enjoy the early morning ventures and your description of enjoying a cup of local coffee and watching a city awake.  I met you several years ago aboard the Ruby Princess, I believe, at a CC Meet & Greet and I've been quietly following your reviews as they come along. We are sailing Celebrity and Silhouette very soon for a change of venue and experiences. It's certainly interesting, the common refrain across the various forums, of getting just a bit tired of our long time cruise line host and wondering if there is something better to experience out there. It is common on all the boards. The honeymoon is over I guess. I'm sure we will thoroughly enjoy the Silhouette and your pictures make us anxious to board and enjoy.

Your final flashback and online storage challenges brings one song to mind..... hey, hey, you, you, get off of my cloud. How did the Stones know what the future held???

Bruce

Bruce! Yes I remember talking to you on a Princess ship. Ruby? Quite likely or was it Caribbean Princess to Western Caribbean in January 2014? Either way, great to know you were reading this and enjoying so thanks for the kind compliments .

Yes trying other lines is the thing to do, just to spice things up and not tire of the same old deck plans and food offerings. It's fun researching each line.

The early morning coffee walks have been with me for I don't know how long. I know I was doing them in Bayreuth Germany back in 1999 but they happened in Germany as far back as 1972 when I lived in Nuremberg. I love taking photos before the sun comes up and there are lots of people around. My Venice and Rome walks were a little creepy as the streets were so dark and few people were around but I soldiered on and found there was nothing to fear.

I hope to see you in my next review which is only 10 weeks or so away but will have sunshine and lots of color.

Thanks again, Bruce. Hope you are well.

Norris

Norris,

Wonderful as usual.  Have your review of Sky in my calendar.  We are booked for Enchanted for the 10 day Med followed by the 15 day Transatlantic next Oct.

Hope that you get to do the opera in Germany next year.

Judy

Edited by jlf1

When I awoke and lifted my window shade...

49029309083_66bf8ef91d_b.jpg

the best part of waking up...is this

49030036952_cccd7dfbb4_b.jpg

England's green and pleasant land appears before me

49029826921_ba31de1a18_b.jpg

and here below me is the East End of London

49029828851_20cd963230_b.jpg

the bend in the river Thames where Canary Wharf lives and below that to the South, Greenwich Park. The white disc to the right is the 02 concert arena 

49029832011_a127240890_b.jpg

the sprawl of South London with the Houses of Parliament and London Eye visible

49030051522_9d34502bc6_b.jpg

49029841306_31da42bceb_b.jpg

and West London

49029333953_0c72fe089c_b.jpg

and we have arrived!

49029336893_e375538589_b.jpg

end of flashback

18 minutes ago, jlf1 said:

Norris,

Wonderful as usual.  Have your review of Sky in my calendar.  We are booked for Enchanted for the 10 day Med followed by the 15 day Transatlantic next Oct.

Hope that you get to do the opera in Germany next year.

Judy

Judy, we will know by the end of February whether we have tickets for the Bayreuth Festival or not and will jump up and down if we do as we are Wagner devotees and love Germany.

I'm happy you found this review! Thanks for your kind compliments!!

Norris, going to catch up with my TripAdvisor reviews tomorrow