Kettles for British guests

Currently on Oasis in the Med and was very surprised to find the kettle & mugs tray waiting in the cabin ( normal cabin not a suite)

Our steward said this was something new they had started for British guests....they would always get a kettle ! 

Any reports of kettles  on other non UK sailings??

53 minutes ago, Bobal said:

On Jewel last week. No kettle for us as Brits - thankfully - if so we'd have asked them to remove it  to clear up space. Never understand the obsession with Brits having a kettle in the cabin :classic_huh:

Had them on a few Soton cruises & TA's and made the mistake of boiling water from the tap in the bathroom - a more 'rank' cuppa you'd struggle to find!

Consequently found ourselves using bottled water ( ok, not particularly difficult to obtain I know ) to make a morning cuppa - 

It all seemed such a faff so don't bother either way now!

ps - what did you think of Jewel? Did a 4 nighter in June and a 9 nighter in 6 weeks time again as we thought she was a lovely ship to cruise the med on ( that's coming from Oasis lovers )

Edited by ZiggaZagga17

27 minutes ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

It all seemed such a faff so don't bother either way now!

The wife loves a cuppa first thing each morning on the balcony. There's more faff getting room service as they always forget the milk and the water is never hot enough.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Esprit said:

The wife loves a cuppa first thing each morning on the balcony. There's more faff getting room service as they always forget the milk and the water is never hot enough.  

yeah I 100% agree there - a hot drink and room service will never grace each other's presence in the same sentence! 

Edited by ZiggaZagga17

There’s always kettles for Australian sailings.

Tea bags but no coffee to be found on the ship,strange?

So we take coffee bags or a plunger.

Someone told me they can’t have them for American departures because of a obscure law ,fire risk or something?

Dont know if it’s true.

Edited by Chiliburn

7 hours ago, Esprit said:

What's a cuppa? Is it like a shag?🤣

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What's a cuppa? Is it like a shag?🤣

😂

Cup Of Tea. (Even though I have lived in the US for 20 years, I'm a Brit who still does his cuppa with a proper kettle, boiling water and either British or Irish tea bags. Pref. Yorkshire Gold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 5:55 AM, breezy_carol said:

We were on Radiance in August in Alaska and there were a kettle and mugs in our room and son's next door.  We are not British, well except for many generations ago.  We put them in the closet to free up space on the desk.

Interesting. When I asked for a kettle on Radiance in Alaska a couple of years ago they told me they didn't have any.

13 hours ago, RickAinley said:

😂

Cup Of Tea. (Even though I have lived in the US for 20 years, I'm a Brit who still does his cuppa with a proper kettle, boiling water and either British or Irish tea bags. Pref. Yorkshire Gold. 

Same here but live in Canada.

Has to be boiling water and I bring my own Yorkshire Gold teabags.

Edited by maryann2

I would love to be able to make coffee with my AeroPress in my room each morning.  Anybody asked for a kettle on the Explorer of the Seas?  Yes, yes - room service will bring you a carafe of hot water but it's never hot enough and it takes a while for it to come round to my room.  If I had my own kettle...

51 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I would love to be able to make coffee with my AeroPress in my room each morning.  Anybody asked for a kettle on the Explorer of the Seas?  Yes, yes - room service will bring you a carafe of hot water but it's never hot enough and it takes a while for it to come round to my room.  If I had my own kettle...

I'm sure your stateroom attendant could accommodate you (if allowed) if you asked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Amazing how they only allow kettles in Europe. Otherwise it is considered a fire hazard. 

Maybe,  because the Caribbean is hotter. LOL

Do they change the sockets in European cruises. Default in the US is 110v but Europe is 220/240v. Kettles in the US use a higher current (and take longer to boil). Higher current is a higher risk generally! (basic assumption). 

7 minutes ago, RickAinley said:

Do they change the sockets in European cruises. Default in the US is 110v but Europe is 220/240v. Kettles in the US use a higher current (and take longer to boil). Higher current is a higher risk generally! (basic assumption). 

No, the sockets are not changed for European cruises, the ship normally has two US 110V sockets and one Euro 220V socket.  Most times I see the kettle outfitted with a Euro plug.

38 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

No, the sockets are not changed for European cruises, the ship normally has two US 110V sockets and one Euro 220V socket.  Most times I see the kettle outfitted with a Euro plug.

There are many converters available and very reasonable. Always carry one if traveling out of US.

They are very small and compact, too.

Edited by Oxo