NCL looking at Pay for Perks

sunonfire

It is available for my cruise in February on the Breakaway.  The $50 spa credit and complimentary room service would make it worth it somewhat if you were already planning on using those services.  I wonder where the priority check-in fits in compared to the priority check-in for Haven and Platinum.

• Like 1

I know this might not be a popular post-but I just took this offering.  I am usually super frugal so this is unlike me but in my situation, it seems helpful (if it is run well by NCL seeing as it is a new program).  My reasoning-this is my SO and I's big yearly trip so getting on and off the ship with no hassle would be ideal.  We have one tender port which I heard can be a nightmare on the Breakaway so it would be nice not to deal with that.  I also am surprising him with an aft balcony so being able to have a hot breakfast in the room a few mornings sounds really nice.  My main concern, since the program is so new, that no one will know about it and I will have to argue for all the benefits I paid for.  

• Like 2

Not a fan. Especially since they are excluding Platinum and above (not that I would really use any of these). $50 off spa on port days isn't that much different than the port day specials, unless these stack. We had CAS boarding in NY last year and the priority boarding area was already overflowing., They actually stopped letting people in. Not sure where they will squeeze those extra 50ish people in (assuming there are no.more than 2 per cabin)...

As for the free breakfast, maybe they should look at loyal customers and waive the fee for them too...just a thought that will never happen. It is just a test phase, maybe it won't go fleetwide.

• Like 1

It's basically a way to raise "newbie" pax to elevated Latitudes status perqs w/o their having sailed on NCL for the requisite number of sailings to attain said Latitudes status.

So much for "loyalty"...😳

Edited by tomk3212
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So NCL heads down the same path as RCCL and Celebrity by selling loyalty perks!  This is a big turn off to myself and my wife.  Shortly before we achieved Diamond Level with RCCL they started selling the loyalty.  We noticed a bit of arrogance and snobbishness from these people who bought loyalty rather than earning it. Have not sailed on RCCL or Celebrity since.  Expect the same will happen to NCL if they go forward. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Meh, there’s nothing with this I’m really interested in paying more for.  I’ve never done a tender port, we usually try to leave the ship late on the last day and don’t care about Spa services. Maybe it would be more interesting if they added get into your room right away like Carnival. 

In the article they give an example of a family group where some have achieved a certain loyalty level and some have not. I would be more in agreement with a program where “linked” cabins could pay a fee to receive the same or similar benefits of the highest level of cabin. Ie, buy up to priority boarding, tendering etc. just so all in the party could stay together.

• Like 1

I typically buy FTTF when I sail with Carnival but mainly so that I have immediate access to my cabin, since this isn't offered as part of the perks I wouldn't buy this unless I was travelling with children who are likely to get fractious standing in a long queue.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:51 AM, JoeD4 said:

So NCL heads down the same path as RCCL and Celebrity by selling loyalty perks!  This is a big turn off to myself and my wife.  Shortly before we achieved Diamond Level with RCCL they started selling the loyalty.  We noticed a bit of arrogance and snobbishness from these people who bought loyalty rather than earning it. Have not sailed on RCCL or Celebrity since.  Expect the same will happen to NCL if they go forward. 

The pinnacle “pin” people are the WORST when it comes to arrogance.  

On 9/14/2019 at 11:51 AM, JoeD4 said:

On 9/14/2019 at 12:18 PM, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

Ugh - we just earned Platinum. So much for our loyalty. What a disappointment, we were looking forward to priority boarding but now it looks like we have to compete with extra people...

Neither of you earned loyalty.  You paid for it... differently.

• Like 1

We recently booked 2 NCL cruises that would get us to Platinum.  I will carefully evaluate the service and overall experience on the first of these before I reach the final payment date for the second cruise.  If my loyalty is not sufficiently rewarded, I will carefully evaluate other options.  I enjoy NCL overall, however, the constant flux leads me to believe they lack a clear strategy.  

Good grief-  these are mass cruise ships.   marketed -thousands of passengers.- every week.     My opinion-  Platinum isn’t that difficult to get   Hundreds probably qualify - new-  every week      It’s already a saturated market.     You will encounter waits, etc.