Question Re: Military OBC

joepeka

We've booked Royal for early 2021 and are eligible for the military OBC. While I don't necessarily second guess our TA, the TA is telling us that Princess will not accept my proof of military service and grant the OBC (i.e. apply it to our booking) until we are within one year of the sailing. I don't have an issue waiting but I'm curious: have others found this to be the case (military OBC won't be applied until you're within 12 months of sailing)?

3 minutes ago, joepeka said:

We've booked Royal for early 2021 and are eligible for the military OBC. While I don't necessarily second guess our TA, the TA is telling us that Princess will not accept my proof of military service and grant the OBC (i.e. apply it to our booking) until we are within one year of the sailing. I don't have an issue waiting but I'm curious: have others found this to be the case (military OBC won't be applied until you're within 12 months of sailing)?

That may be the case for your original application.  When I first applied, my cruise was only a few months in the future.

The great thing about the military benefit, unlike the shareholder benefit,  is that you only have to apply once.  After that Princess will automatically add the military benefit to every booking you make with them.  Once a veteran, always a veteran.

• Like 2

I’m not sure but it doesn’t sound right to me. Try contacting Princess directly, have your DD214 ready, and see what they say. My military OBC is automatically applied on whatever cruise I book, but I don’t remember for sure if it was 12 months the first time I booked and requested military OBC. 

This is one of the many reasons I don’t use a TA. In this case I would remove the middle-man and go directly to the source.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 4hunters said:

I’m not sure but it doesn’t sound right to me. Try contacting Princess directly, have your DD214 ready, and see what they say. My military OBC is automatically applied on whatever cruise I book, but I don’t remember for sure if it was 12 months the first time I booked and requested military OBC. 

This is one of the many reasons I don’t use a TA. In this case I would remove the middle-man and go directly to the source.  

Thanks to both of you that have responded. It may indeed be due to it's my first claim for the military OBC and thus the 12 month window (though I cannot find anything regarding the military OBC to indicate that - only that you have to apply at least 14 days in advance of sailing). I will say though that our TA has talked directly with Princess (or their agency contact at Princess) and that is the information they were given. Maybe it's the usual case of one cruise line hand not knowing what the other is doing? I dunno, and thus my post here. :classic_wink:

Edited by joepeka

3 hours ago, joepeka said:

Thanks to both of you that have responded. It may indeed be due to it's my first claim for the military OBC and thus the 12 month window (though I cannot find anything regarding the military OBC to indicate that - only that you have to apply at least 14 days in advance of sailing). I will say though that our TA has talked directly with Princess (or their agency contact at Princess) and that is the information they were given. Maybe it's the usual case of one cruise line hand not knowing what the other is doing? I dunno, and thus my post here. :classic_wink:

The TA has nothing to do with it just call Princess. Have never heard of a time limit before you can apply.

As stated once it is on your record it is there to stay and is applied automatically every time you book a cruise.

My husband was a Naval Officer in the British Navy, but because we now live in Australia he has been advised that he is not eligible. If we still lived in England he could get it, or if he had served in the Australian Navy he could, but not if you live in a different country to that you served in. I find that a bit strange - he still did his Military Service.

7 hours ago, Bluesky014 said:

My husband was a Naval Officer in the British Navy, but because we now live in Australia he has been advised that he is not eligible. If we still lived in England he could get it, or if he had served in the Australian Navy he could, but not if you live in a different country to that you served in. I find that a bit strange - he still did his Military Service.

Who advised you? Why not send it in and see what happens?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluesky014 said:

My husband was in the RAAF and we live in the US, he had no problem getting the military credit.

8 hours ago, Bluesky014 said:

Send in the paperwork. Good chance he is eligible.

On my first Princess cruise last year I applied for the Military OBC at least 14 month before. I sent scans of my DD241 in the morning and later that afternoon it was credited to the account. Send it in yourself, print the application from the web site. No TA needed.

They often credit both Military OBC and Shareholder OBC pretty far in advance. Even though the Carnival Corp website said that the Shareholder Credit was only currently for voyages sailing before July 31, 2020 ... they accepted mine for October, 2020.

11 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

we have several cruises booked for May 2021 and all reflect our military OBC in the Payments and Credit section of "My Persoalizer"

Same here.  I made my booking using website last week for 2021.  Military OBC automatically appeared immediately on the website.

I can get my military benefit applied at any time.  I already have it applied for cruises in the spring of 2021.

My biggest problem is that I have tried for many years to get my benefit attached to my Captains Circle Number so that it will show up each time I book a cruise.  I have had no luck so far.  Have been sailing with Princess for over 15 years yet each time I book a cruise I have to call and have the benefit added to my booking.  I don't a;ways have to send the paperwork in (which means it is on file somewhere), but I have to call to have it added.  Even if I re-fare because of a better promotion, when the new updated booking is entered, the benefit is not there and I have to call and have it added.  They keep telling me it is a Princess clich. 

On my first Princess Cruise in 2017 our travel agent took our military paperwork and submitted to Princess.  It was approved.  We book our first cruise 18 months prior to sailing.  Maybe Princess has changed the military obc requirements to 12 month approval.  However; we booked our second Princess cruise and it was 20 months out and military obc showed up in our cruise personalizer the day after we booked.  

58 minutes ago, famski740 said:

I can get my military benefit applied at any time.  I already have it applied for cruises in the spring of 2021.

My biggest problem is that I have tried for many years to get my benefit attached to my Captains Circle Number so that it will show up each time I book a cruise.  I have had no luck so far.  Have been sailing with Princess for over 15 years yet each time I book a cruise I have to call and have the benefit added to my booking.  I don't a;ways have to send the paperwork in (which means it is on file somewhere), but I have to call to have it added.  Even if I re-fare because of a better promotion, when the new updated booking is entered, the benefit is not there and I have to call and have it added.  They keep telling me it is a Princess clich. 

Something’s wrong with your account setup. Every time we book a cruise, even the ones we just booked for Oct 2021, it was automatically added. You need to call that number on that Princess link I posted above and tell them what you are experiencing. 

• Like 1