Cruise Critic Community
Cindyscruising

Europe Cruise - Exchange cash for euro's prior to trip?

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We found that AAA has one of the better rates with minimum fees. 

I am a member of AAA and will contact them today and inquire! Great idea thanks!

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, tomk3212 said:

My local Wells Fargo here in MD has Euros & British pounds on hand at all times for exchange.  Rate runs a day or two behind the current market but no extra fees as casofilia correctly points out above, courtesy of NCL at the reception desk onboard.   In all fairness to NCL they are NOT in the currency exchange business; they do it as a courtesy for their pax so you will be charged for this service, like any other service offered onboard...sigh 😑

You'll need Euros at some of the local markets & such that don't take credit cards; we found this out in Croatia/Dubrovnik/Split during our Greek Isles cruise out of Venice back in '15.  Cash IS king, as correctly pointed out above...

Word of advice based on personal experience: Take TWO credit cards (one as backup) and make sure you tell the banks that issue them that you'll be traveling with them & the dates of your cruise.  They usually have a place on their website where you can enter the dates & countries you'll be visiting.  Otherwise you run the risk of having your card refused; we had this happen to our daughter once on a cruise where we "loaned" her one of our credit cards; lesson learned!

Hope you have a great cruise!  The Greek Isles cruise(s) are fantastic!!  Wear good walking footwear!

I definitely will be getting my Euro's here in advance to have with me after reading all the super tips and suggestions from everyone.

Thanks Tomk for the heads up about the small markets/shop  not taking credit cards and the reminder to bring a second backup credit card just in case and to call and notify them of my travel ahead of time