Wear Your Best?

broadwaycam

3 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Yeah, I can imagine that dress was crazy expensive!  Still, more revealing than is tasteful, imho.

And I'm right there with you.  We love dressing up!  It's just part of the experience because it's not something that we get to do often in "real life".  I mean, really, how many folks wear cocktail dresses and suits & ties regularly?  So we'll continue the practice and enjoy looking swanky as we dine, watch shows, and dance the night away.

Hubby has to wear tie & jacket for his job and a hat depending on where he is, but he doesn't mind wearing a tux on cruises. On the other hand we don't normally go to places for me to wear gowns.

12 hours ago, Tin can said:

Maybe for cruises out of Florida but this isn’t the case around the World with Royal. 

Surprisingly it also wasn’t the case on our Adventure cruise recently out of NY.

I’m not fussed either way what people wear but having seen a table of guests wearing Onesies in the MDR from Port Canaveral I think Royal may have given up in Florida trying to advise people what to wear.

We will be doing a TA in May next year and the weather will be cooler than what we are used to. It will be nice for such weather during formal nights. We have done 2 TP and people dressed up more. Wait! What! Cooler weather, what's that?  😀

19 hours ago, charmy98 said:

Oh I think they should have an ugly sweater night, that would be hilarious! I must say though I am really looking forward to the Formal nights, it's the only time I get to really dress up and feel special 🙂 

That would be funny during December but maybe not formal night. I like to dress up but not a formal gal.  Usually wear nice clothes that I have attended weddings and such.  

54 minutes ago, beachseasand said:

Oh yes I remember that couples photos.  I always wondered if it was on one of those group cruises.  Like birthday suit clubs and they actually got really dressed up.😏

I'm remembering that it was on a swingers cruise.  Those photos have circulated for several years and one of the original threads said something about it being on a charter cruise.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

No need for flashbacks, here you go. Not my pictures but taken from the internet. Wonder if they ever regretted wearing this. I read they weren't allowed in the MDR. Only on Carnival. :classic_biggrin:

20190911_042821.thumb.jpg.f4d7461b7f913b32154d06a0c4b41fa5.jpg😁🥂

20190911_042911.jpg

20190911_042849.jpg

@Yorkvillain Courtney’s outfits next week?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BND said:

I'm remembering that it was on a swingers cruise.  Those photos have circulated for several years and one of the original threads said something about it being on a charter cruise.

Correct and according to their current posts they prefer swingers, topless and or nude cruises.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:31 AM, Tin can said:

I disagree with you though on your point, 95% of the passengers were New Yorkers on our recent Adventure cruise and it was very formal both nights

I find that very interesting  since I sailed on Anthem in June out of Cape Liberty and I'm from New York. My experience couldn't be further from the opposite. Yes there were a few groups who were married on the cruise and did dress up but in general if it wasn't for the Compass telling us it was formal night we wouldn't have known by what passengers were wearing. There were also a few passengers who dressed formal on non formal nights. We had select dining which I think that in it's self promotes casual dress. We were placed in traditional dining on the second night due to a back up in the two select dining rooms. There were more passengers dressed formal there but still not the way they dressed years ago. Also years ago you stayed dressed up the entire evening. We chose to dress smart casual each night. In the past few years we have gone to a few weddings and Sweet 16 parties and events for work at elaborate catering venues so dressing formal isn't a novelty for us.  Out of the 3 lines we sail on Royal, Princess, and Celebrity I would probably  book Royal or Celebrity based on the non formal night dress code over Princess with all other things being equal.

Oh my goodness. My retinas are seared. I don't own a swimsuit that shows that much.

Love formal night. Love to "play dress up," which I don't get to do at home. I have a closet full of formals I pick up inexpensively second-hand and always have a fun struggle deciding which to take cruising with me. We're doing a 5 day out of Ft. L in a couple weeks and taking my daughters on their first cruise. I told them they can dress formal if they want EVERY night -- they're kids, they can get away with that.

16 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Looks like some passengers already do, no class. 

Honestly, I am not bothered by what people are wearing at dinner or anywhere else.  I dress well for dinner as does my SO but that's just our personal preference.  A person in shorts next to us doesn't ruin my evening.  I feel the same in land restaurants BTW.   A pair of jeans in Ruth's Chris does not wreck my steak or my night.  To each his own, I say.  

• Like 2

I can understand the demise of the formal night. But there generally was an enjoyable aspect of it to me, probably more as I don't normally dress up so taking a tux for formal night was a bit out of the ordinary and fun to do. On the other hand, I sweat easily, so I'd usually be a real mess under the jacket even on well air conditioned ships after dinner, and would quickly go back to my cabin and change back into whatever I had been wearing earlier in the day for the rest of the evening.

It did/does always annoy me when folks can't manage to abide by the no-shorts rule, though. I guess it doesn't matter to me that much anymore as I've grown real tired of the ever-decreasing selections and under-staffing in the main dining room and generally just go to the Windjammer nowadays, unless I'm with a group of friends.

However, in lieu of know about there being formal nights, I really wish they'd let people know what special events are planned for each sailing. Knowing about "caribbean night" or color nights like wearing white or red would really be a plus. I consider it pointless to be doing some of those without having let guests know before they boarded about them. Even formal nights have never quite been something they give out as guest info, though if you dig you could find it in FAQ's.

Would it be so hard to support providing info about onboard things like that in the eDocs? I mean it's certainly something that could be automated from the cruise directors operation s onboard, scheduling things even just a month in advance, and providing some automated ways that info moves into the system for inclusion in eDocs or some calendar info that can be looked up as part of each guests reservation info.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

Our family dresses nice for formal nights and we choose one picture that is our yearly "family photo". We go to each photo-op so we have a lot to choose from and in the end, pick the winner. Will there still be "formal" photo ops on at least one night?

RCCL give up opportunities to charge $20++ per photo? Come on, you're joking, right?

Edited by dswallow

I remember the first few times I cruised.  I packed my suit in my suit bag, carried it on the plane, had the flight attendant hang it up for me, retrieved it after landing, carried it to the shuttle, draped it across my lap as we drove to the ship, and then held onto it until I could finally hang it up in the room.  Back then the lobster tails were bigger, but still not worth the effort.  Some people can magically pack a suit jacket into a suitcase without messing it up.  I tried the youtube instructions and it was a wrinkled mess.  I think someone in the airport opened my bag and just stuffed it in there as my locks were removed.   My chain-mail evening attire probably set off the scanner.  :classic_cool:

I will gladly pack dress shoes and a nice button down shirt, but no suit jacket ever again.   On formal night, you will find me at the Windjammer.  My wife and I usually put on a few pounds during the cruise and don't want our pictures taken anyway.  

Edited by zepp914
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

Our family dresses nice for formal nights and we choose one picture that is our yearly "family photo". We go to each photo-op so we have a lot to choose from and in the end, pick the winner. Will there still be "formal" photo ops on at least one night?

The photo-ops will be every day and night as usual. Over the years the best pictures have been taken on cruise line private beaches with a natural background as opposed to the formal photos with the faux Titanic backdrop or in front of the staircase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zepp914 said:

I remember the first few times I cruised.  I packed my suit in my suit bag, carried it on the plane, had the flight attendant hang it up for me, retrieved it after landing, carried it to the shuttle, draped it across my lap as we drove to the ship, and then held onto it until I could finally hang it up in the room.

The last time I did that was 1991. The planes had special provisions for garment bags. After that we checked the garment bag but that was when each passenger was able to check a free bag. It was a lot of luggage back then. All I can remember was having to change multiple times a day because the ships didn't have the nice buffets they have today and you had to dress country club casual to eat lunch in the MDR.  In that respect I prefer things the way they are today.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 4:33 AM, ReneeFLL said:

No need for flashbacks, here you go. Not my pictures but taken from the internet. Wonder if they ever regretted wearing this. I read they weren't allowed in the MDR. Only on Carnival. :classic_biggrin:

😁🥂

Loving this thread for a number of comments.  But my first thought about the chainmail dresses were, gotta wonder how heavy the luggage was. 

Erika

• Like 1