Can you bring guest on ship before sailing?

coldbird

I have tried the search engine and can’t find any answer to my question.   We have relatives that live near Vancouver where we will be starting our cruise.  They have small children and we wondered if it was possible to bring them onboard for a quick tour.  I’m pretty sure I know the answer but just want to reach out to the experts. 

Thanks

david 

Pre 9-11, there was a good chance- we were even able to have guests on for tea when we stopped in Newport R.I.

We've since been on a few Cunard ships that stopped in San Francisco, but only at the invitation of an officer.  It involved a request from her to the captain, his approval, sending in passport info in advance, etc.  So it CAN be done, but only likely with a lot of pull.

I have seen these guests on Celebrity, but have no idea of the process. As Jelayne said, a request to the home office (perhaps with a compelling backstory) would be the only chance.

Andrew

28 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

Pre 9-11, there was a good chance- we were even able to have guests on for tea when we stopped in Newport R.I.

We've since been on a few Cunard ships that stopped in San Francisco, but only at the invitation of an officer.  It involved a request from her to the captain, his approval, sending in passport info in advance, etc.  So it CAN be done, but only likely with a lot of pull.

I have seen these guests on Celebrity, but have no idea of the process. As Jelayne said, a request to the home office (perhaps with a compelling backstory) would be the only chance.

Andrew

The only non passengers I’ve ever seen on the ship, in port, were local travel agents and VIPs by invitation only. I think it was allowed before 9/11 but not now.

• Like 1

There used to be a blurb in the FAQ that specifically said "not possible."  I'm not sure if that language is there any more but every time this question has been asked, people have responded to say they asked and were told no. 

Another complicating factor in Vancouver is that you go through US Customs to board the ship. 

Outside of the US It can be done.   I had friends who live in England who had their wedding on a celebrity ship in the sky lounge. All the wedding guests came aboard for the ceremony and then had to leave. The problem is, in Vancouver which is clearly outside the US, you actually enter the US in order to get onto the ship.  I think the OP will find that it is not possible to bring guests on in Vancouver.

((  By the way, Celebrity rules are not the same as other cruise lines’ rules.  Crystal,  for example, allows you to bring a guest on for a Fee.  ))

The special logistics in Vancouver make it highly unlikely that you would get permission to bring a guest board. They would have to enter the US in the terminal, and then an exit, re-enter Canada. And all of this on embarkation day, when the ship is very busy getting all the passengers and supplies and equipment aboard.

Pretty much anyone who doesn’t have business on Celebrity that day is unlikely to get permission. They let on the piano tuner, for instance.  But a friend or relative of a passenger? I doubt it.

10 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Outside of the US It can be done.   I had friends who live in England who had their wedding on a celebrity ship in the sky lounge. All the wedding guests came aboard for the ceremony and then had to leave. The problem is, in Vancouver which is clearly outside the US, you actually enter the US in order to get onto the ship.  I think the OP will find that it is not possible to bring guests on in Vancouver.

((  By the way, Celebrity rules are not the same as other cruise lines’ rules.  Crystal,  for example, allows you to bring a guest on for a Fee.  ))

Same thing is done in the US for a wedding, have seen it a couple of times.  

19 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

The special logistics in Vancouver make it highly unlikely that you would get permission to bring a guest board. They would have to enter the US in the terminal, and then an exit, re-enter Canada. And all of this on embarkation day, when the ship is very busy getting all the passengers and supplies and equipment aboard.

Pretty much anyone who doesn’t have business on Celebrity that day is unlikely to get permission. They let on the piano tuner, for instance.  But a friend or relative of a passenger? I doubt it.

19 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Thanks for the info and that’s what I figured but thought I’d ask again.  I don’t believe we will be going through US customs as our first port is Victoria?  Then on to the US.

David

6 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Wow, what people do to get guests on these cruiseships 😂

Don't think you understand, I've seen full weddings and receptions on the ship with maybe a couple hundred people eating in the MDR, not just the ceremony but the whole wedding.   

Weddings are a different issue.  Some folks will arrange for a wedding (in port) through the cruise line (they actually have planners) and they do pay extra for these arrangements.  Part of the deal is that they can bring guests aboard (in port) but this is an entire event and not cheap.  We actually had a friend get married on the Summit while she was docked in NYC.  If we had accepted the invitation (we did not because of a conflict) it all had to be done far in advance.   

Bringing a guest aboard in port (other then with a wedding party) has become very difficult to impossible because of security concerns.  We know that on another cruise line this can only be done if approved by both the cruise line and the Captain...which means it does not ever get done unless the person is a VIP.    You can certainly contact Celebrity and try to get permission but I think the odds are very slim.

Hank

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

But was that something where the people just visited for a few hours for the ceremony and reception or was it where the entire group booked the cruise?  And if only for a few hours, was that in the US ?

The ones I saw were big affairs in the MDR and people left the ship.

9.11.01 changed everything. 

I remember our first cruise on Sitmar's Fairwind in 1982, we were with another couple on a tour in San Juan and when we returned to the ship, Carnival's Festivale was docked right next to us, so we went up to the gang plank and asked if we could check out the ship, no problem at all, just showed them our ships pass card which was in those days made of cardboard and you printed your name and cabin number on it.

Edited by MISTER 67