Spanish VAT in Bilbao — be aware

cruisestitch

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've not tried as we always have a drink package but prior to drink packages I bought a round of drinks in Fort Lauderdale prior to setting sail and was charged Florida sales tax.  Another warning  that we found out last cruise.   While in Spanish waters the ship is prohibited from selling cigarettes.  

We have always had a drink package on all our Celebrity Cruises. Pre Celebrity we did a number of Princess cruises with no drinks package and I do not ever remember being charged any VAT although the Med cruises we did with them had a Gibraltar or a Turkey stop. We also did a few starting from the US and I do not remember ever being charged sales tax while in port before sailing. As far as I am aware the VAT charging has been pushed by Spain and Italy in recent years.

Hi All,

The reason I asked about the VAT in Italy is that we are embarking on a TA in Civitavecchia next month. We have a Classic drink package and we're going to upgrade to Premium the day we got onboard so we could use our OBC. If I'm gonna get hit with a VAT in Italy I may as well upgrade now to avoid it.

The ship is going to 4 Spanish ports after Italy before heading across to Miami...no non EU countries.

23 minutes ago, STLCRUISIN said:

Hi All,

The reason I asked about the VAT in Italy is that we are embarking on a TA in Civitavecchia next month. We have a Classic drink package and we're going to upgrade to Premium the day we got onboard so we could use our OBC. If I'm gonna get hit with a VAT in Italy I may as well upgrade now to avoid it.

The ship is going to 4 Spanish ports after Italy before heading across to Miami...no non EU countries.

I don't think Miami is in the EU but you are safer doing the upgrade before you board.

9 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I don't think Miami is in the EU but you are safer doing the upgrade before you board.

🤣Gordoncruickshank, You are right....guess I should have worded that sentence a bit differently. What drives me crazy about Miami, especially South Beach, is their land based restaurants insistence in tacking on a standard 20-22% "gratuity" to the check. Worse than some EU VATs but that's a whole different topic.

1 hour ago, STLCRUISIN said:

🤣Gordoncruickshank, You are right....guess I should have worded that sentence a bit differently. What drives me crazy about Miami, especially South Beach, is their land based restaurants insistence in tacking on a standard 20-22% "gratuity" to the check. Worse than some EU VATs but that's a whole different topic.

From our point of view it is the whole sales tax plus gratuity that gets particularly when you buy an alcoholic drink in a hotel

. We have had times where we have paid $30 for two drinks and you can get a bottle across the road in Walgreens for $25.