Dear Celebrity, you really don't want us in our staterooms, do you?

the_dylaness

I am just about at my breaking point with Celebrity.  Too bad, since we should be turning Elite in Feb...

I understand things change over time.  But, I've been sailing with Celebrity for over 10 years and I am now at the point of starting to really wonder if I'll continue spend money with this line.

I want footstools on my balcony if a book a class of room they are included in.

I want comfortable furniture in my room and on my balcony.  I don't expect a table to seat 10 in an AQ, but a reasonable way to enjoy a light meal either inside the room or on the balcony is not unreasonable.

I want to have the opportunity to watch a movie in my room, free of charge, like it has been on every other ship I've ever sailed on, at least that I can recall.  I really want this for my kids, when they are tired and cranky and just need to veg.  If I get sick, or sunburned, or tired and want to stay in and eat a sandwich and watch a movie, I think that's not an unreasonable thing to have included on a cruise.

Not everyone wants to spend all of their time running around the ship.  Not all itineraries have great weather all the time.  I don't care about production shows and don't want to see a movie in a theater or especially on a huge screen ruining the atmosphere of the lawn.  Sometimes I just want to wear my ugly pajamas and veg out.  Read a book on the balcony.  Watch a movie in bed at 2pm.  Almost like I was on vacation or something, you know?

Our best morning on the Silver Wind in January was staying in the room until almost 11am (we are usually pretty early risers and up and about).  We ordered filets and cheesecakes and watched a movie on the couch.  It was so luxurious and fun, and definitely different than life at home!

Heaven forbid I ever contract norovirus and get quarantined!

Please stop messing with the in room experience.  We get the point that you clearly want people out of their room as much as humanly possible, but if you make the experience unpleasant enough, we'll just find another room on another cruise line to hang out in.

• Like 63
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Different things are clearly important to different people.  I first cruised about 35 years ago and over the years on HAL, Cunard, NCL, P&O and Celebrity I have never used room service and never watched a film but that’s just me. I do strongly agree however that any company must listen to its customers to ensure that they are meeting as many expectations as possible across the customer base.

Have they offered a reason for ceasing in-room films?  There’s not exactly a cost issue unlike room service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am sure there are just as many people out there (me included) who couldn´t care less about foot stools and movies and find the modern design more appealing then the old. Plus I fully understand that a cruise line will listen to the next generation of cruisers more than to us cruise "oldies".

We have recently cruised with other comparable cruise lines. Some things were fine there, a few even better but the bottom line was a confirmation that we overall still prefer Celebrity. 

Should that change some day or should we get the feeling that another cruise line offers a better product for a comparable price we would just book there and leave. Without drama and theatrics on CC or a letter to LLP. You are not forced to book with Celebrity.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I think a 'movement' for your issues really need to be mounted either in a regional newspaper or on social media (which is often times at no charge) where you can possibly get the 'most' eyeballs and subsequently in X's eyes to be addressed or actually responded to.

You may find others who will possibly read the impassioned thoughts, will chime in as well... where it counts.

The issues have been noted here on CC which is a very limited audience and even if someone from X reads it, the post cruise evaluation, on-board complaints are where it's at and in the forefront... IMO

It may be time to move on to another line where these concerns are not an issue.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 10

I posted this on another Perks Package thread. Since not everyone seems to want/need amenities for spending more time in cabins, maybe it could be a perk:

ENJOY YOUR CABIN!!  PERKS PACKAGE

-foot stools and reclining chairs on your balcony

-table for room service on balcony

-coffee table in living area for room service

-24/7 free room service with free delivery of beverages included in beverage package

-comfortable couch for two

-free movies 24/7 - 100 titles!

-DVD player

-electric kettle on request

Value: PRICELESS

Obviously taking it a bit far, but you get the point. 🙂  Thanks for the thread!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Well said.  I am terribly disappointed that there are no free on demand movies and will make that number one on my post cruise survey. 

There is another thread about the free movies being eliminated that Celebrity Touch and the Captains Club know about.  

• Like 1

This is a great post.  It expresses our feelings perfectly.  We are leaving on Friday on the Equinox and we are already disappointed.  We’ll still have a wonderful cruise (have packed beach balls for footstools and down loaded a handful of movies).  We always do, but we are just like the OP, we like our quiet time in our cabin.  We always say that it’s our time to catch up on Disney movies (no kids).  

Your comment about catching Noro is spot on.  I think if I was confined to my cabin without any movies to watch I would be strongly advocating for the cruise line to waive the cost for any pay for movies.

We are Elite with Princess and this is just our second Celebrity cruise.  We can decide after if it will be our last.  

• Like 2

After sailing with Celebrity from 2001 we reached Elite a few years before the LLP takeover.

When the change occurred we hoped some of the upper management ideas would not be as foolhardy as those she approved on Royal Caribbean. 

Even after two more X cruises with her at the helm we have earned more than enough C&A points on Royal Caribbean to earn Diamond status without reciprocation.

Noting the course she is steering Celebrity into we have decided to book our next two  cruises with Royal Caribbean.

I am sure our small $10,000.00+ in revenue means as much to LLP as any of the thousands and thousands of cruisers opinions both at Royal Caribbean and now at Celebrity, basically NOTHING.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I posted this on another Perks Package thread. Since not everyone seems to want/need amenities for spending more time in cabins, maybe it could be a perk:

-24/7 free room service with free delivery of beverages included in beverage package

-DVD player

Not taking it too far at all.

Spot on, IMO. 😉

• Like 2

If enough people contact -X- directly, LLP will respond with an answer something like

"Who knew that free in-room movies would be such a hot topic on the forum and yet I completely understand. If you want to watch a free movie, please ask your stateroom attendant and they will source one for you.  If you want to know which movies are available, please check on our website - it will be on the same webpage that we post the updates about Xpedition licensing.

Thank you and have a great rest of your day! "

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

As long as they are sailing full and charging a premium price, they couldn't care less about any problems or complaints that might cost them money. Until that changes, you are just wasting your time and getting worked up for no reason.

Well said

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

As long as they are sailing full and charging a premium price, they couldn't care less about any problems or complaints that might cost them money. Until that changes, you are just wasting your time and getting worked up for no reason.

The Kobe burger blunder on Celebrity and the 2nd main course surcharge on HAL are two examples of cruise lines reversing direction when faced with sufficient opposition. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

-DVD player

Don't give them any ideas.  It should NOT be a perk.  It should be a given.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Don't give them any ideas.  It should NOT be a perk.  It should be a given.

I was hoping my sarcasm wouldn't be lost on the X staff who read Cruise Critic and they would see the ridiculousness of designing ships where a cruise would be less relaxing to many. 

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 4

We are Elite, and have never once wanted any of those items.  We do spend time in our cabin, relaxing, watching the ocean, reading a book.  We will be boarding again on Friday, and don't anticipate being any less comfortable with the furniture and amenities we have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We are Elite, and have never once wanted any of those items.  We do spend time in our cabin, relaxing, watching the ocean, reading a book.  We will be boarding again on Friday, and don't anticipate being any less comfortable with the furniture and amenities we have.

Have a great sailing!

bon voyage

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I was hoping my sarcasm wouldn't be lost on the X staff who read Cruise Critic and they would see the ridiculousness of designing ships where a cruise would be less relaxing to many. 

But presumably not less relaxing to the majority