Dear Celebrity, you really don't want us in our staterooms, do you?

the_dylaness

OK, for what its worth, here is my thinking.

We are boarding the Reflection in early December and although I am confident we will enjoy ourselves, we  will most likely not be happy with some changes. Such is life, you can't always have things your way (I learned that a long, long time ago).

Now, a large portion of the changes have happened under the guidance of LLP who has been in her position since December of 2014 (I believe that is what her bio states) which means she will be reaching her 5 year mark as the "Big Cheese", "Big Kahuna" CEO or any other title you may wish to bestow. After working for some large corporations for quite a few years, what became apparent to me is that the CEO's take the position and work it for several years to put their mark on it. Then, after they have alienated a portion of the customer base (or employee base  in some instances) they take their "Golden Parachute" package and move on to their next mission. My guess might be a Golden Parachute in the not too distant future with a new leader changing things to their liking.

Just a thought

Jed

• Like 6

Can I ask a question about room service? I’ve seen it mentioned several times on CC that there isn’t a table to enjoy your room service on.

When I order room service at a hotel, they wheel a table in which is set with my meal.

How is it presented on the Celebrity cruises?  I’m hoping to order a light breakfast super early on port days....

I’m in a sky suite and see I at least have a coffee table...

Edited by trishtoro

2 hours ago, barbette165 said:

If enough people contact -X- directly, LLP will respond with an answer something like

"Who knew that free in-room movies would be such a hot topic on the forum and yet I completely understand. If you want to watch a free movie, please ask your stateroom attendant and they will source one for you.  If you want to know which movies are available, please check on our website - it will be on the same webpage that we post the updates about Xpedition licensing.

Thank you and have a great rest of your day! "

PS. The stack of free movies will be on top of the footstools.

We always found the free in-room movies not worth watching.  We spend a lot of time in our cabin and out on the balcony.  If there is nowhere comfortable to sit, then I guess we will join the numbers who are looking for better cabins on other ships or we may just resort to using our various timeshares which we have been gifting for the past several years.

Stop the cutting Celebrity while you raise the prices.  There is nothing left for the loyal cruiser!

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, trishtoro said:

Can I ask a question about room service? I’ve seen it mentioned several times on CC that there isn’t a table to enjoy your room service on.

When I order room service at a hotel, they wheel a table in which is set with my meal.

How is it presented on the Celebrity cruises?  I’m hoping to order a light breakfast super early on port days....

Your meal is delivered on a large tray that is jam packed with dishes that have metal covers, condiments, beverages, etc. The person delivering places the tray on the coffee table. Suites used to have a medium sized table that was large enough for use as an outdoor dining table, but from what I understand, these have shrunk in size. You call room service when you are finished eating and they'll send someone to your cabin to clear out the used room service items. 

We enjoy eating breakfast in our rooms on port days. It saves us the rush prior to going on shore. We've also enjoyed eating a dinner in our room here and there. Since you're in a suite you can ask your butler to set up for your dinner and to clear out all the dishes when you're finished. 

2 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Your meal is delivered on a large tray that is jam packed with dishes that have metal covers, condiments, beverages, etc. The person delivering places the tray on the coffee table. Suites used to have a medium sized table that was large enough for use as an outdoor dining table, but from what I understand, these have shrunk in size. You call room service when you are finished eating and they'll send someone to your cabin to clear out the used room service items. 

We enjoy eating breakfast in our rooms on port days. It saves us the rush prior to going on shore. We've also enjoyed eating a dinner in our room here and there. Since you're in a suite you can ask your butler to set up for your dinner and to clear out all the dishes when you're finished. 

Thank you very much!

Trish

1 hour ago, trishtoro said:

They have added a coffee table to the Sky Suites in the living area since we were onboard, but still have no coffee table in the living area (as far as I know) and have the same tiny low table we had on our Sky Suite balcony on all the other veranda cabins. This was our Modern Luxury breakfast on the balcony (I had asked the butler for a roll in table and he said not to worry, it would work with what we had).

The teeny, tiny table:

image.png.aa72fac2b7de301ef839350255a359d3.png

Breakfast on the Edge on our balcony:

image.thumb.png.9b1278283ddbdc7a155c874d1939f9dd.png

Room Service on the Reflection on our Sky Suite balcony

image.png.1f89f13b85460575cc9b0535842619cc.png

We aren't fussy people, but we do enjoy breakfast on the balcony on port days especially and really don't want to bend down over our food, with knees spread so that we fit at the table. Our balcony was 163 sq ft with 3 small pieces of furniture, so it wasn't a space issue. When I asked for a lounger for the balcony (as I have for other sky suites and always received one), I was told that we had the beautiful Retreat Sundeck to use. I explained that we liked to nap in the sun on our balconies at times, though would definitely enjoy the lovely Retreat at other times. We were on the first commercial cruise so they weren't budging at first because it was obviously something they had already made a decision on and gave the butlers some lines to use. We finally did get a lounger (I didn't push it, but the head butler chatted with us and decided to give us a lounger) and others are now receiving them, if they ask. When we went back 6 weeks later, we had no trouble getting a lounger. They brought coffee tables into the suites because people asked for a bigger table for room service. There must have been many people complaining on Cruise Critic and onboard because they listened and changed. The Revolution has started and similar complaints are coming in for those ships. They are always asking for feedback so here it is...

Edit: sorry trishtoro, the last part wasn't directed at you - I got carried away 🙂

We loved our sky suite on the Edge except for the balcony furniture and lack of coffee table. With your coffee table (though still a bit low), you will have space for your breakfast. You should be able to have dinner too - on other ships the butler brought it course by course and poured our wine. We didn't even try dinner in the suite on the Edge. Maybe next time with the bigger table...🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

They have added a coffee table to the Sky Suites in the living area since we were onboard, but still have no coffee table in the living area (as far as I know) and have the same tiny low table we had on our Sky Suite balcony on all the other veranda cabins. This was our Modern Luxury breakfast on the balcony (I had asked the butler for a roll in table and he said not to worry, it would work with what we had).

The teeny, tiny table:

image.png.1f89f13b85460575cc9b0535842619cc.png

We aren't fussy people, but we do enjoy breakfast on the balcony on port days especially and really don't want to bend down over our food, with knees spread so that we fit at the table. Our balcony was 163 sq ft with 3 small pieces of furniture, so it wasn't a space issue. When I asked for a lounger for the balcony (as I have for other sky suites and always received one), I was told that we had the beautiful Retreat Sundeck to use. I explained that we liked to nap in the sun on our balconies at times, though would definitely enjoy the lovely Retreat at other times. We were on the first commercial cruise so they weren't budging at first because it was obviously something they had already made a decision on and gave the butlers some lines to use. We finally did get a lounger (I didn't push it, but the head butler chatted with us and decided to give us a lounger) and others are now receiving them, if they ask. When we went back 6 weeks later, we had no trouble getting a lounger. They brought coffee tables into the suites because people asked for a bigger table for room service. There must have been many people complaining on Cruise Critic and onboard because they listened and changed. The Revolution has started and similar complaints are coming in for those ships. They are always asking for feedback so here it is...

The photo of the room service table on the Reflection is what I was expecting 

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I am sure there are just as many people out there (me included) who couldn´t care less about foot stools and movies and find the modern design more appealing then the old. Plus I fully understand that a cruise line will listen to the next generation of cruisers more than to us cruise "oldies".

We have recently cruised with other comparable cruise lines. Some things were fine there, a few even better but the bottom line was a confirmation that we overall still prefer Celebrity. 

Should that change some day or should we get the feeling that another cruise line offers a better product for a comparable price we would just book there and leave. Without drama and theatrics on CC or a letter to LLP. You are not forced to book with Celebrity.

I don't disagree with you- but I'd like to point out that I am in my 30s and have two young children... not a "cruise oldie" 🙂

1 hour ago, JEDMELK said:

OK, for what its worth, here is my thinking.

We are boarding the Reflection in early December and although I am confident we will enjoy ourselves, we  will most likely not be happy with some changes. Such is life, you can't always have things your way (I learned that a long, long time ago).

Now, a large portion of the changes have happened under the guidance of LLP who has been in her position since December of 2014 (I believe that is what her bio states) which means she will be reaching her 5 year mark as the "Big Cheese", "Big Kahuna" CEO or any other title you may wish to bestow. After working for some large corporations for quite a few years, what became apparent to me is that the CEO's take the position and work it for several years to put their mark on it. Then, after they have alienated a portion of the customer base (or employee base  in some instances) they take their "Golden Parachute" package and move on to their next mission. My guess might be a Golden Parachute in the not too distant future with a new leader changing things to their liking.

Just a thought

Jed

Can't happen soon enough as far as we're concerned.

While the changes on Summit were beautiful, so many of them were just downright uncomfortable.

Our next cruise is on the unrevolutionized (yet) Infinity and after that we'll decide what to do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I think a 'movement' for your issues really need to be mounted either in a regional newspaper or on social media (which is often times at no charge) where you can possibly get the 'most' eyeballs and subsequently in X's eyes to be addressed or actually responded to.

You may find others who will possibly read the impassioned thoughts, will chime in as well... where it counts.

The issues have been noted here on CC which is a very limited audience and even if someone from X reads it, the post cruise evaluation, on-board complaints are where it's at and in the forefront... IMO

It may be time to move on to another line where these concerns are not an issue.

bon voyage

We book on multiple lines, depending on our needs, itinerary... we like many things about the X product.

These cruises were both booked VERY far in advance (one of them two years to the week, the other about 18 months.)  When we cruise with kids + nanny we need very specific room setups- two adjoining cabins, one of which can hold 3 people.  So we have to book far in advance to get this arrangement, and could not have predicted at the time of booking some of the major changes that have happened since...

• Thanks 1

If we want Celebrity to hear anything, the people who “liked” the OP need to cut and paste that post into their post-cruise survey. We are on our first Sky Suite on Equinox in January and I will be saving that post just in case i need  it.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

If we want Celebrity to hear anything, the people who “liked” the OP need to cut and paste that post into their post-cruise survey. We are on our first Sky Suite on Equinox in January and I will be saving that post just in case i need  it.

mac_tlc

Hey!  We are on your Equinox sailing in a sky suite too!  Small world.

We love breakfast on our balcony - we try to always do that on port days.  We are sailing on Reflection so hopefully still a slightly larger table as it's not been revolutionised yet.  Here are two photos from our Summit past cruise days...

2092706183_ScreenShot2019-09-12at8_06_24AM.png.981d46ea04ec564c42ff8faafe710a33.png1474467707_ScreenShot2019-09-12at8_08_04AM.png.048ff3c5c6f5b924bb715edc477948eb.png

Edited by Scottygirl1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I think a 'movement' for your issues really need to be mounted either in a regional newspaper or on social media (which is often times at no charge) where you can possibly get the 'most' eyeballs and subsequently in X's eyes to be addressed or actually responded to.

You may find others who will possibly read the impassioned thoughts, will chime in as well... where it counts.

The issues have been noted here on CC which is a very limited audience and even if someone from X reads it, the post cruise evaluation, on-board complaints are where it's at and in the forefront... IMO

It may be time to move on to another line where these concerns are not an issue.

bon voyage

If people follow your advice there won't be anywhere to "move on". There are plenty of others places to go with complaints but there's also nothing wrong with speaking up here.

I've been a loyal customer for many years but that doesn't mean I won't provide what I think is constructive criticism when necessary. I have personally been responsible for bringing many others to the Celebrity product as well but just sitting back and watching the product lose it's appeal doesn't help anyone. Good grief man, you can't just blindly defend everything they do.

Bon Voyage to you too.

Edited by Ma Bell
  • Like 15

the—dylaness

I thought your post was very well written ,outlining disappointments regarding the changes,redesign and redecoration of Celebrity ships.

It does seem that those in charge are looking to cause passengers to go outside of their cabins for food and entertainment. Changing furniture on balconies and not supplying a coffee table sized table in the cabin and charging for in- room movies ($14.99 ) all seem to be causing passengers to leave the comfort of their cabins.

Some who have responded on this board do not seem to be disappointed in these changes as they do not indulge in room service,in-room movies or enjoy a balcony. But, I dare say,they are in a minority in their appreciation ,or lack thereof, of the services that have been comfortably available to Celebrity passengers before the changes re “Edgification”.

My DH and I have always enjoyed room service breakfast and an afternoon snack on our balcony. It is a relaxing way for us to begin our day  and then  end our day before we venture forth on the ship for dinner and some musical entertainment.

As for in - room movies, we have enjoyed them when the evening entertainment in other parts of the ship did not appeal to us. Now,with a charge, we might not be inclined to do this.

During one cruise on Princess, my husband came down with a sinus infection. He felt awful and was not inclined to mingle with other passengers or go to any restaurants for meals.  We were most grateful for room service that kept him supplied with tea and chicken soup. The in room movies kept us entertained in the cabin while he was dealing with his illness. 

I would like to see how those who think room service or in -room movies are not a valuable part of a cruise vacation may change their minds if ,or when they come down with an illness that causes them to be sequestered in their cabin for any length of time. They might reconsider  their opinions of these comfortable  services.

A letter to Celebrity and to LLP may be helpful. It may give you satisfaction to express your opinion of the changes made to Celebrity. But,as others have mentioned,do not be surprised if you get a form letter with a wish for a great day at the end of it. This is based on LLP’s reaction to the CC thread designed for her to answer questions aboutCelebrity. It is posted at the beginning of the Celebrity  forum accompanied by her photo. If you haven’t read some of the postings there,it is interesting reading.

Perhaps a better way to get a message to the Celebrity execs is to mention things that you find disappointing on the comment cards found on the ships and also to book cruises on other lines.

We are considering RCCL’s Empress of the Seas and HAL for a future few cruises.

It is unfortunate as Bayonne is a nearby port for us ,so air travel is eliminated and we have enjoyed some cruises on the Summit. But, I just thought of something!

RCCLleaves from NJ and I think, occasionally HAL leaves from NYC.

It maybe time to look at other cruise lines.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scottygirl1 said:

We love breakfast on our balcony - we try to always do that on port days.  We are sailing on Reflection so hopefully still a slightly larger table as it's not been revolutionised yet.  Here are two photos from our Summit past cruise days...

2092706183_ScreenShot2019-09-12at8_06_24AM.png.981d46ea04ec564c42ff8faafe710a33.png1474467707_ScreenShot2019-09-12at8_08_04AM.png.048ff3c5c6f5b924bb715edc477948eb.png

Now that is Modern Luxury!   

Very nice photos,,,maybe send them to LLP along with the downgraded  balc photos.  What would LLP prefer on her cruise???

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Now that is Modern Luxury!   

Very nice photos,,,maybe send them to LLP along with the downgraded  balc photos.  What would LLP prefer on her cruise???

Well that's a no brainer... we all know what she would prefer on her cruise 🙂  I suppose we'll just have to remember times like this as the good old days and reminisce.  Sadly.  That photo of breakfast served on that tiny balcony coffee table is ridiculous and it's crazy that Celebrity don't see this.   

• Like 1

No, Celebrity does not want you in your stateroom. If you are in your cabin, you are not spending money at the bar (if you don’t have a drink pkg), in the spa, in one of the specialty restaurants, at the art auction, in the shops, etc.

I also found the previous comments about LLP’s tenure with ~X~ Spot on. He forgot to mention the less than widely embraced infinite balconies on Edge, aka an ocean view cabin with a window that opens, the miserably uncomfortable furniture  in Michael’s Club and a number of other fails. When the solo rate offered  on their newest ship, for Exciting Deals is 150% (and is 200% for all other ships), something isn’t working.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

The teeny, tiny table:

And this is my outside area of my Villa for November that is A LOT cheaper than a suite on Celebrity... and Yes, that's a private pool on the left.

a828c40e-97fe-4550-86b3-b311493c10bc.jpg

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 6