No more Formal Night on Harmony

Ok, I understand but would you go to a nice restaurant, i.e., white tablecloth type, in your cut offs and tank top? Doubt it.  I expect dh will leave the tux at home but take the sport coat and tie.  I have cocktail dresses and gowns that pack easily so might take.  I enjoy dressing up and looking back on the pictures. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EDHFamily said:

In other words, "You're on vacation and we don't care as long as you're spending money with us!"

We like formal night (tux for him; long dress for me) and we always buy the formal night photos.  I wonder if this will actually decrease revenue in that area.    We certainly won’t stop for photos if not dressed in formal attire.

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Andrew, we will be on B2B next month.  Can you estimate what percentage of men you might’ve seen in sport jackets. We do find, that generally dress and coastal kitchen is a little more casual than the main dining room. 

By the way, I enjoyed your review of your harmony experience. Same thing happened to us two years ago on oasis

marci 

From what we saw on formal night it was an occasional suit jacket with a tie, more men with a golf style shirt with jeans/kakis and the rare tuxedo. Coastal Kitchen was more laid back. Shorts was not an uncommon sight. Some were dressed up in the CK but it looked like they were having a drink before they went out for dinner. 

I will say it’s nice to be home. I bet you knew that feeling after your unplanned 2 week sailing. I’m almost caught up around the home/work, and tomorrow it’s time for me to wrap up the review. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Andrew, we will be on B2B next month.  Can you estimate what percentage of men you might’ve seen in sport jackets. We do find, that generally dress and coastal kitchen is a little more casual than the main dining room. 

By the way, I enjoyed your review of your harmony experience. Same thing happened to us two years ago on oasis

marci 

We were on Harmony April and September 2018 and Allure January 2018 and never packed anything more than a collared shirt and ate almost every evening in the CK no issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsKC08 said:

We always have, and always will dress up for formal nights. This is one thing we always look forward to.

Now, I agree that it is your vacation and you should wear what you wish...but don't bash those that do choose to dress up (which by the way, there are still quite a few of us out there). 🙂

I agree. If you want to dress formal, by all means, please do so. I personally don’t wear shorts to dinner on a cruise ship and generally wear a collared shirt but it doesn’t bother me if some are in shorts and regular shirts. 

I can totally understand someone who works all day in a suit or coat and tie does not want to dress up on their vacation. I on the other hand work as a news cameraman who wears shorts and tee shirts in the summer. I kind of like dressing up on a cruise. For me it's something different.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, BND said:

To me "wear your best" still means dress up.  It' does say "best" not comfy, casual, etc.  Let's look up the meaning of the word "best".

I personally don’t agree. The fact that it says “your best” lets the wearer choose. Even though I have a Tux and many suits in my closet but I never pack them anymore. So, my best are the clothes I unpack in our cabin. It might also be what I haven’t worn yet or that is clean. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I personally don’t agree. The fact that it says “your best” lets the wearer choose. Even though I have a Tux and many suits in my closet but I never pack them anymore. So, my best are the clothes I unpack in our cabin. It might also be what I haven’t worn yet or that is clean. 

Interesting definition of a word. In other words, whatever you want it to mean, not what it really does.  Okay, then.

• Like 1

I read it the same way as Milwaukee 8.  Wear the best of what you have with you.  You can't go home to get anything better.

Whatever M8 wears is not going to turn me off my food... unless he is wearing Magnum PI shorts. 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mafig said:

I wonder if they will downgrade their menu Wear Your Best night.  For example eliminating lobster, filet, rack of lamb, etc.

The lobster has been a downgraded version long before the dress code changed. Substituting something else could only be an improvement. 

47 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I agree.  I hate dressing up, and ditched the suits long ago.  But I would always wear khakis and a polo shirt to dinner each night.  Shoot, now I may kick back even more and wear shorts.

It really doesn't bother me what others wear.  Be comfortable and do what you prefer - which is what RCL is basically now saying 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Ok, I understand but would you go to a nice restaurant, i.e., white tablecloth type, in your cut offs and tank top? Doubt it.  I expect dh will leave the tux at home but take the sport coat and tie.  I have cocktail dresses and gowns that pack easily so might take.  I enjoy dressing up and looking back on the pictures. 

In the same respect I wouldn’t dress up in the MDR where it’s loud crowed and they rush you through dinner. Fine dining on cruise ships are a thing of the past. The worst service we had on Anthem was on the two formal nights. I wish we would have chosen those nights to eat in the specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I read it the same way as Milwaukee 8.  Wear the best of what you have with you.  You can't go home to get anything better.

Whatever M8 wears is not going to turn me off my food... unless he is wearing Magnum PI shorts. 😂

So, if you only pack cutoffs and dirty t-shirts, you're good to go?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Me too.  We're on your cruise.  My wife still likes to dress up, so I'm taking a sport coat and tie.  I've finally cut out the Tux.  But I'd be more than happy to cut the sport coat and tie.  It's hot and it's the Caribbean.  Oh well.. see y'all on board!  😎

I quit packing a tie years ago. Still take a sport coat and a button down shirt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BND said:

So, if you only pack cutoffs and dirty t-shirts, you're good to go?

That's not what I would pack, but you won't catch me packing a jacket or tie either.  I haven't in the last decade.  

However, if that's what a person is wearing I am not going to judge them because of it.  For me it is the person inside, not their clothing that makes them who they are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1