Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nessa1dc

RCCL Reimbursement Plan....WTH?

Recommended Posts

Ok..so here is the backdrop:

 

We were set to sail on the August 31, 2019 Grandeur 5 Day to Bermuda.  Cruise was cancelled due to Propulsion issues (still disappointed, but I have a Back to Back coming at the end of November)...prior to leaving the ship, a notice and an announcement was made that all passengers would be refunded their money by Friday, September 6 on their original forms of payment

My reimbursable amounts:

 

$303.99 (Cruise Taxes and Fees) - Checkcard - Checking Account - Casino Advertisement

$250.00 OBC (I added personally) - Checkcard - Checking Account

$101.50 (Insurance and Gratuities - Checkcard - Checking Account

$116.82 (Spa) - Checking Account

 

I used my Capital One Credit Card for Set n Sail and presented it to the agent during check-in....

 

So.  On Friday, Sept. 6th I received $116.82 to my credit card (wait, that should have went to the Checking).

 

Then yesterday, I received $250 to my checking

Today, I received 3 credits to my checking in the amounts of $12.62, $63.57 and $34.89.  Today, I also received $202.00 to my Capital One Card...

 

What in the per dee hell is going on?  This is ridiculous.  I called RCCL and asked them...not only are they reimbursing me piece mill (literally), they are also putting my roommates money in my account, but some of it will be on the Capital One card, and some in my checking.  My roommate has only received $72.50 so far...what the what?

 

I'm a bit perturbed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to tell what's going on because we don't know what each of you paid to begin with. 

 

They always break up the refund like that, not sure why, but it should come out even with what you paid for cruisefare, taxes and fees.

 

I wouldn't waste time getting them to fix how the money is allotted between checking and credit card unless it's important to you. Just have your cc refund you the credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, marci22 said:

 ...

They always break up the refund like that, not sure why ....

 

I always thought it had something to do with getting the commissions back from the agents.  Maybe Ken can chime in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, marci22 said:

It's hard to tell what's going on because we don't know what each of you paid to begin with. 

 

They always break up the refund like that, not sure why, but it should come out even with what you paid for cruisefare, taxes and fees.

 

I wouldn't waste time getting them to fix how the money is allotted between checking and credit card unless it's important to you. Just have your cc refund you the credit.

 

I explained the breakdown...I'm not stressed about all my money getting to me, but I do have a problem with giving it to me piece mill on whatever card you pick.  My credit card doesn't give refunds.  What I used from my checking should go back to my checking.

 

My husband used a gift card for his OBC..

 

Why should I have to do bookkeeping to follow their reimbursement practice.  Very simply, pay me back what I paid you, on the card I paid you with and when you said that you would pay me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I always thought it had something to do with getting the commissions back from the agents.  Maybe Ken can chime in.

 

I didn't have an agent....I'm just frustrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

 

I didn't have an agent....I'm just frustrated.

 

I would also be frustrated.  Royal is very very good at taking money, but it can be like pulling teeth to get it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I would also be frustrated.  Royal is very very good at taking money, but it can be like pulling teeth to get it back.

 

THAT is an understatment....thank you all for your input.

 

I would like to complain...is there an email address of someone I could reach out too?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I always thought it had something to do with getting the commissions back from the agents.  Maybe Ken can chime in.

I think there should be Agent Commission protection for instances like this or if a passenger cancels within the penalty period.Its unfair to the travel agents to lose out on the commission for an issue beyond their control.

 

 

Edited by travelplus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, travelplus said:

I think there should be Agent Commission protection for instances like this or if a passenger cancels within the penalty period.Its unfair to the travel agents to lose out on the commission for an issue beyond their control.

 

 

Welcome to sales, no matter what type of sales, when the sale is voided, the commission goes back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In past mine came back in multiple amounts, was also to sign/sail card of Record and not what I paid with. Agree guess good point to be aware of ahead of time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

 

THAT is an understatment....thank you all for your input.

 

I would like to complain...is there an email address of someone I could reach out too?

 

 

 

Try the President:  mbayley@rccl.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try to have your details organized when you write your letter. You mention getting credits for yourself and your roommate, and that your husband used a gift card towards the purchase? What is 'casino advertisement'? Amounts don't add up. Something is missing.

 

Also give your cc another day or two to show all credits/refunds. Sometimes they don't all come in at once. 

 

Easier for them to resolve it if you get it all spelled out in as few words as possible.

Edited by marci22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marci22 said:

Try to have your details organized when you write your letter. You mention getting credits for yourself and your roommate, and that your husband used a gift card towards the purchase? What is 'casino advertisement'? Amounts don't add up. Something is missing.

 

Also give your cc another day or two to show all credits/refunds. Sometimes they don't all come in at once. 

 

Easier for them to resolve it if you get it all spelled out in as few words as possible.

 

Casino Advertisement was the reason for the low fare...

 

I agree the amounts don't add up...they are still making deposits.  It seems I get something everyday...I have to check the various accounts.  They still owe me.

 

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them and had everything spelled out.  What I was owed, and what my roommate was owed, which credit cards were used, etc., but they explained, that's not how it goes.  Everything downloads to Excel sheet.  It doesn't matter that my roommate and I divided our amounts equally...I'm going to get most of the money back and she will get $72.50.  There is no rhyme or reason to any of it.  Now I have to figure out how I'm going to give my roommate cash, when most of the money is being put on my credit card. 

 

I don't care how you slice this, its bat crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on this cancelled 4 hour cruise and also have not received  my full refund yet.  RCCL tells me it is on process.  I spent 45 minutes on the phone to finally get  the $200 pp return airfare put   "In "process"  but  of course the return flight was nearly $300 pp.  They had me resend all the documents I  submitted a week earlier.  It took me 3 separate calls to get all the credits processed. The agents seemed  poorly trained to deal intricate details and  with frustrated passengers.

 

My frustration is that we also  encountered almost $700  in non RCCL reimbursable expenses to get to the cruise and then back home because RCCL cancelled the sailing  ( flights to Baltimore, pre cruise hotel, transportation to hotel/ship, home city airport  parking,  new return home flight that is more than $200 pp etc. )  None of these charges are reimbursable .  Of course I have not completed the claim with my private insurance carrier  and don't know what if anything they  will cover. RCCL knew the  ship had propulsion  issues as the previous sailing returned  to port about 10 hours early to fix the problem. 

 

So we are potentially out $700 for a cruise  that lasted 4 hours.  We were allowed to disembark  the ship ONLY  from 8-11PM the first night (Saturday)  or the next night  from 6-9 PM (Sunday) ,  and stranded to find a way to a hotel,  as it was too late   to catch a flight home.  There was no assistance to secure  accommodations or flights.  We were simply on our own. And of course we were denied  any  C&A points.   

 

RCCL made a big deal that we were getting our money back.  Sure we received our cruise fare back, after all we had NO CRUISE and we also received a future cruise credit that  many passengers reported is worthless to  them.  We have lots of cruises with  RCCL,  and will continue to sail with RCCL, but honestly if this was our  first experience with them, I would never return.  Those who live away from the departure port received a Royal kick in the A## .

 

I had hoped for better from RCCL.

M

 

  

 

 

 

   

Edited by cruisegirl1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I was on this cancelled 4 hour cruise and also have not received  my full refund yet.  RCCL tells me it is on process.  I spend 45 minutes on the phone to finally get  the $200 pp return airfare put   "In "process"  but  of course the return flight was nearly $300 pp.  They had me resend all the documents I  submitted a week earlier.  It took me 3 separate calls to get all the credits processed. The agents seemed  poorly trained to deal intricate details and  with frustrated passengers.

 

My frustration is that we also  encountered almost $700  in non RCCL reimbursable expenses to get to the cruise and then back home because RCCL cancelled the sailing  ( flights to Baltimore, pre cruise hotel, transportation to hotel/ship, home city airport  parking,  new return home flight that is more than $200 pp etc. )  None of these charges are reimbursable .  Of course I have not completed the claim with my private insurance carrier  and don't know what if anything they  will cover. RCCL knew the  ship had propulsion  issues as the previous sailing returned  to port about 10 hours early to fix the problem. 

 

So we are potentially out $700 for a cruise  that lasted 4 hours.  We were allowed to disembark  the ship ONLY  from 8-11PM the first night (Saturday)  or the next night  from 6-9 PM (Sunday) ,  and stranded to find a way to a hotel,  as it was too late   to catch a flight home.  There was no assistance to secure  accommodations or flights.  We were simply on our own. And of course we were denied  any  C&A points.   

 

RCCL made a big deal that we were getting our money back.  Sure we received our cruise fare back, after all we had NO CRUISE and we also received a future cruise credit that  many passengers reported is worthless to  them.  We have lots of cruises with  RCCL,  and will continue to sail with RCCL, but honestly if this was our  first experience with them, I would never return.  Those who live away from the departure port received a Royal kick in the A## .

 

I had hoped for better from RCCL.

M

 

  

 

 

 

   

 

Finally, someone who gets it.  I'm a Diamond Plus...I love RCCL, and will continue to love RCCL...but quite frankly, from beginning to end (that seems to never come)...this has been a mess.  We decided to get off the first night, because I didn't see the point in sitting on the ship until late the next day watching happy Carnival cruisers get on their ship and take off.  Luckily, we are from DC, so we only had to drive home...and then off to Atlantic City the next day...I had to do something.

 

But I have been on the phone with RCCL...only to be told that this is how it works, and there be no rhyme or reason.  I tried to break down all they owed me ($116.82 spa, $72.50 Gratuities, etc.), and the rep. stopped me to say that's not how they  recognize it.  Its all one pot, but to pay back in increments of $29.72...well that's just insane.  AND....to pay me my roommates money because the excel sheet popped up with my credit card and not hers is even MORE INSANE.

 

I'm going to talk to someone about this.  Its ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of this is frustrating, I know.  Just an FYI — Crown and Anchor told me passengers would be getting 2 points because most were on the ship for 2 days.  That was a few days ago.  Marci — did Crown and Anchor tell you something different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

All of this is frustrating, I know.  Just an FYI — Crown and Anchor told me passengers would be getting 2 points because most were on the ship for 2 days.  That was a few days ago.  Marci — did Crown and Anchor tell you something different?

 

Interesting....I was only on for 1 day though...but hell...I'd take 1 pt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

All of this is frustrating, I know.  Just an FYI — Crown and Anchor told me passengers would be getting 2 points because most were on the ship for 2 days.  That was a few days ago.  Marci — did Crown and Anchor tell you something different?

Tuesday evening  they told me no points.  We got off Saturday. We did spend all day Saturday on the ship but did not spend Saturday night.

 

We were told because the ship did not sail, there would be no points. 

 

 What really frustrated me is the agent emphasize that “after all, you got a full refund.”   Of course we did, the ship never sailed,  no one is disputing that 

 

 When you say crown and anchor, do you mean Diane, or someone at the crown and anchor phone number or Resolutions desk.    

 

Thanks. 

 

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've received a refund of our Perfect Day water pass purchase from cancelled Mariner. 

 

Less the OBC I used. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Tuesday evening  they told me no points.  We got off Saturday. We did spend all day Saturday on the ship but did not spend Saturday night.

 

We were told because the ship did not sail, there would be no points. 

 

 What really frustrated me is the agent emphasize that “after all, you got a full refund.”   Of course we did, the ship never sailed,  no one is disputing that 

 

 When you say crown and anchor, do you mean Diane, or someone at the crown and anchor phone number or Resolutions desk.    

 

Thanks. 

 

M

I called Crown and Anchor directly in Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I always thought it had something to do with getting the commissions back from the agents.  Maybe Ken can chime in.

I can’t say for sure on the commission but it would not surprise me.  I do know that when Royal gets your money it’s allocated to different accounts.  Unfortunately when they refund it it is from each of these accounts instead of being moved to one master account and being refunded as one amount.

 

each time you make a payment it is automatically divided by the number of guests, then you also have taxes and fees, commissionable sales and non commissionable sales and then agent commission then you get into cruise planner purchases.....it’s just one big mess.  The more payments you make to Roysl the more small refund amounts you will get.

 

i just had a client who made monthly payments on their cruise cancel...I had to explain that they may see close to 30 refund amounts.

 

Last year during the Black Friday sale I cancelled many cruise planner purchases.  What was initially one checkout and one charge to my credit card resulted in 12 refund amounts.  SMH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

 ... The more payments you make to Roysl the more small refund amounts you will get. ...

 

Unbelievable that they can't get their systems at least up to the 90's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I can’t say for sure on the commission but it would not surprise me.  I do know that when Royal gets your money it’s allocated to different accounts.  Unfortunately when they refund it it is from each of these accounts instead of being moved to one master account and being refunded as one amount.

 

each time you make a payment it is automatically divided by the number of guests, then you also have taxes and fees, commissionable sales and non commissionable sales and then agent commission then you get into cruise planner purchases.....it’s just one big mess.  The more payments you make to Roysl the more small refund amounts you will get.

 

i just had a client who made monthly payments on their cruise cancel...I had to explain that they may see close to 30 refund amounts.

 

Last year during the Black Friday sale I cancelled many cruise planner purchases.  What was initially one checkout and one charge to my credit card resulted in 12 refund amounts.  SMH.

Interesting. This happened to me also when I cancelled cruise planner purchases. Looks crazy the first time it happens to you and then you get used to it. They've always refunded all of my money (maybe not to the 'right' card) but I've never dealt with a cruise cancelled by them vs me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 When I booked the cruise, I made a $500 deposit payment  directly to RCCL then then I made one final payment to  RCCL. That is two direct payments. For some reason  it has required four different fare refunds  plus my excursion refund and I’m still waiting for one refund plus my partial airfare reimbursement. 

 

 If I had not made my payment  on time,  my cruise would be canceled  and a  portion of my deposit would be forfeited. At this point, RCCL has delayed our promised payments at least one week with no exclamation.    Of course for many of us they’ve had our money for over a year. 

 

 First they stranded us at the debarkation port  and now they have delayed our promised fare reimbursement well past the promised deadline. If there is some sort of accounting glitch or they are overwhelmed with other cancellation issues, they could’ve easily sent us notification  or written a more realistic date on our departure letter. 

 

 I’ll repeat that I am incredibly surprised and disappointed with the way Royal Caribbean has handled their last minute surprise cruise cancellation. 

 

M

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...