Tenders in central Florida

summer slope

We were on this year's WC.  In Mumbai, we took the ferry to see the Elephanta Caves (very interesting).  There is a long docking pier jutting out from land for the ferries, and you take a train on to the actual island.  There were several old HAL tenders sitting there in the mudflats. 

I guess old tenders get sold? and end up in various places … 

We were very pleased in July when we were on the Zuiderdam and tendered in NEW boats.  I asked hotel manager Darren Lewis about them; he said corporate had replaced the originals with new ones at a cost of $280,000 each.  They ran beautifully unlike the old ones, that belched smoke and fumes, and rode well.  No more canvas covers and windows leaking water.  Money well spent, IMHO.

• Like 1

At last winter’s sail away so I had noticed that at least one of the ships (I think Zuiderdam) had mismatched tenders and Copper10-8 confirmed they were being replaced one by one.  I guess that really is where old tenders retire.

Roy 

• Like 1

I Googled "Sebring FL boat manufacturing" and got three hits, all of which are just off Rte 98. Coupling that with what was said in posts 14 and 18, my guess is that these are NEW boats which are going TO Zuiderdam and Rotterdam.download.png.0c3087b00466228890f07e7e8db8f8c8.pngam and 

Edited by catl331

7 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I Googled "Sebring FL boat manufacturing" and got three hits, all of which are just off Rte 98. Coupling that with what was said in posts 14 and 18, my guess is that these are NEW boats which are going to Zuiderdam and Rotterdam.

Big, big difference between a "boat builder" and a "lifeboat builder".  Lifeboats have to be built to SOLAS requirements, and the manufacturing has to be certified by a national or international agency like the USCG or the IMO.

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

SOLAS requirements, and the manufacturing has to be certified

Okay, but maybe one of these three can meet the requirements.  They have to be built somewhere ... why not Sebring?

Edited by catl331