Hotel Recommendations in Vancouver

kuddles14

I recommend the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront as being the most suitable for cruisers sailing from Vancouver.  Baggage service from the hotel to the ship, location, the hop on/off bus location, quality and service of the hotels' staff and restaurants/bars:  suits me perfectly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Hotels in Vancouver can be expensive.  Mentioning the month you will be in Vancouver and price range you are looking at can be very helpful in obtaining answers to your question.

Oops that would help . We are going in August . I know they are expensive so we are prepared for that . As I’m getting suggestions, I’ve been checking them out in Booking.com . 

10 hours ago, kuddles14 said:

Oops that would help . We are going in August . I know they are expensive so we are prepared for that . As I’m getting suggestions, I’ve been checking them out in Booking.com . 

Then I'd suggest that you check out TripAdvisor for comparative reviews and availability on your actual dates, and then use Google Maps to verify the exact hotel location to ensure you don't inadvertently book a room outside the downtown core by mistake (e.g. 3 Pinnacle hotels, 1 of which is in North Vancouver; while the majority of actually-in-Vancouver hotels are located downtown there are a handful scattered around the suburbs, e.g. Best Western, Coast and Days Inn have both core and 'burbs locations while the only Hiltons, despite two having 'Vancouver' in their name, are all in neighbouring municipalities and not in Vancouver at all).

But literally ANY hotel in the downtown core is convenient for the pier - your absolute worst case is dropping $15 on the meter for a cab with luggage on embarkation day, and since you are looking at a 2 night stay if you restrict yourself to hotels right next to the pier you are missing out on the chance of a hotel which is closer to other sites that you may spend much more time at... if you plan to spend lots of time in Stanley Park for example it would be much more efficient to stay e.g. at the Westin Bayshore - which has view rooms galore and even more conveniently-walkable restaurants than the PP or either Fairmont by the pier.

Personally I'd rather blow cash on dinner than a hotel, as long as it's clean and safe with a comfy bed and appropriate temperature control I really couldn't care less about other features - so the YWCA Hotel remains my go-to recommendation for anyone who wouldn't be ashamed to say that they 'stayed at the Y'! Great location, and by next year they will have almost doubled their rooms with the new tower available to book, so the already-excellent reviews will only get better thanks to the super-shiny brand-new rooms.

If money is no object, great, book the Pacific Rim or Shangri-La and get pampered in the only five-star hotels in the city, but unless you actually make use of the added facilities it's a waste to pay for them - so figure out what you actually *need* from your hotel and factor that in. If a nice view is the only 'upgrade' that matters to you for example, Blue Horizon is much cheaper than the fancier pier hotels, very tall, with large corner rooms giving extensive views - and gets a lot of love from cruisers on these boards.

Here are a few hotels that we have stayed in during our Vancouver visits:  Marriott Pinnacle, Hyatt, Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront.  We have enjoyed our stays at all of the hotels listed. 

Martincath's suggestion of using Google map is a great tool --- we use it all the time to chart out places to see, store locations (for last minute items), restaurants, etc. in relation to our hotel. 

I prefer the Pan Pacific and the cruise line price, which usually includes transporatation from the airport, cuts the price almost in half. 

There is an underground mall across the street from the hotel for anything you forgot (wine, sodas, sundries, snacks, starbucks, restaurants, and H&R Block for taxes):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/canada/vancouver-bc/waterfront-mall

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I prefer the Pan Pacific and the cruise line price, which usually includes transporatation from the airport, cuts the price almost in half. 

There is an underground mall across the street from the hotel for anything you forgot (wine, sodas, sundries, snacks, starbucks, restaurants, and H&R Block for taxes):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/canada/vancouver-bc/waterfront-mall

Roger, if you don't mind me asking, do you remember how much you paid?  From any dealings I have had with cruise lines with regard to hotels the rates are per person.  So, if there is more than one in your party the rate could be considerably higher than booking on your own. 

34 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Roger, if you don't mind me asking, do you remember how much you paid?  From any dealings I have had with cruise lines with regard to hotels the rates are per person.  So, if there is more than one in your party the rate could be considerably higher than booking on your own. 

Since I cruise solo, I can only report that I was charged $418 which included transportation from the airport (around $32 for taxi) and the hotel checked in my luggage with the porters.  The price really depends on what day of the week and if that day has any ships arriving/departing.

When traveling in a Neptune Suite, pre-2016, the Pan Pacific was included in the price of the Neptune Suite.  Same for the Fairmont Waterfront and same for the Fairmont in Seattle.

41 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Since I cruise solo, I can only report that I was charged $418 which included transportation from the airport (around $32 for taxi) and the hotel checked in my luggage with the porters.  The price really depends on what day of the week and if that day has any ships arriving/departing.

When traveling in a Neptune Suite, pre-2016, the Pan Pacific was included in the price of the Neptune Suite.  Same for the Fairmont Waterfront and same for the Fairmont in Seattle.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate the response.

9 hours ago, martincath said:

If money is no object, great, book the Pacific Rim or Shangri-La and get pampered in the only five-star hotels in the city, but unless you actually make use of the added facilities it's a waste to pay for them - so figure out what you actually *need* from your hotel and factor that in.

So I stayed at Fairmont Pacific Rim and oh my - I think this was the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. It was amazing. I had one free night and paid for one night which made it almost affordable.

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

So I stayed at Fairmont Pacific Rim and oh my - I think this was the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. It was amazing. I had one free night and paid for one night which made it almost affordable.

We got a deal and stayed there once. Really nice property and they had a TV in the bathroom mirror!

2 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

We got a deal and stayed there once. Really nice property and they had a TV in the bathroom mirror!

I had fun playing with the light switches. :) It was the 2nd hotel I have stayed at with a TV in the mirror - the other was in SFO.

• Like 1

I highly recommend https://ywcavan.org/hotel

It's a legit hotel (not a hostel) -- I stay there every time I'm in Vancouver.  Rooms are on the small side, but it's very clean and front desk staff are terrific.  Small coffee shop on site, or bigger restaurants all within a minute or two walk.  Very close to Queen Elizabeth Theatre if you're thinking of taking in a play or musical before boarding your ship.

• Like 1

I’ve decided to try the YMCA Hotel next May—based on comments and reviews here.  We’re arriving on Amtrak and getting in around 1 a.m.  Didn’t see much value in an expensive hotel when we’ll only be in the room less than 8 hours.  Got a room with a private bath though!  I’ve backpacked through numerous countries in my youth and have stayed at many, many hostels.  Now, I want my own bathroom.

We’ve stayed at a number of hotels that I would recommend—Pan Pacific, the Sheraton, Hotel Blu, the Sylvia—to name a couple.  I think it all depends on what you are doing during your stay in Vancouver.  When we spend time in Vancouver, we love to stay at the Sylvia.  It’s not downtown and pretty quirky (which we love!).  We like to rent bikes and cycle around the city.

We like to stay at the Douglas Hotel (Marriott property) in Vancouver.  Nice location where you can easily walk to restaurants, stores etc  Good luck finding something that suits you!  Have a great trip.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yvrps-the-douglas-autograph-collection/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

Edited by CutieKakes

The Vancouver Auberge is a nice property near Canada Place.  Stayed there prior to our cruise last month.  Rooms are nicely furnished, great views and quiet.  A bit less than the Pan Pacific when we priced it.  Does not offer food service though.  

We're another vote for Pan Pacific.  I watch their prices and they do bounce, but refer to various 3rd party sites like hotel.com to provide some guidelines.  We also signed up for their free Discovery loyalty program and called hotel directly when we saw a price that worked for us, (remember that the on-line prices you see may be in Canadian vs US dollars so be aware of that... can be a nice surprise when you convert) and received a bigger discount than the prices posted.  Remember that you can always cancel if you find something better, provided you didn't reserve the non-refundable room option.

Edited by LoriPhil

If you are a value traveller...

• another vote for the YWCA for budget.  Pay attention to the room type, some may want to pay extra for a room with a private bathroom.
  • Blue Horizon for value traveller.  Centrally located on Robson, it's serviced by the Capilano Shuttle and it's a downhill walk into the cruise terminal.  Should I mention the provincial signature liquor store is across the street?