Cruising as a Vegan on Nieuw Statendam - My Experiences and Menu Pics!

JustinPlusLauren

I've read some posts on Cruise Critic asking about vegan and vegetarian options on cruise ships. I've sailed on several cruises following a vegan diet, and aside from an entirely vegan cruise, HAL has a fabulous vegan menu! There are also so many vegan options all over the ship, whether it's naturally plant-based or you just need to remove a couple of ingredients here or there. 

I've written all about everything that I ate for my 7 days on Nieuw Statendam at my blog here:  https://justinpluslauren.com/holland-america-vegan-guide/

I'll post the images of the vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free menu here that you can request in the main dining room. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

P1410319-XL.jpgP1410320-XL.jpgP1410321-XL.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian,  but I often order non-meat dishes just because they sound good,  and hopefully taste good as well.  For the most part I've enjoyed the offerings on HAL. Your blog and posts will be very helpful to cruisers looking for an alternative to the standard fare. 

Roz 

thanks so much for this report. This is so useful to know and the timing is perfect since I will be trying HAL for the very first time in December. I'm impressed that they actually have separate menus for vegan and vegetarians..rather than the token offering that I've seen on other ships.

11 hours ago, kira5 said:

Am I correct in assuming you had to eat all your meals in the dining room to avail yourself of the vegan menu?

If you wanted to order off this menu, you need to be in the dining room for dinner. However,  in my blog post, I did show the other vegan options in other areas around the ship - like burgers, pizza, Lido Market, etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thank you for this post.  I sent a link to my son who will be joining me on a cruise. He is vegan and I was wondering if he would get bored with what was offered. It sounds like he will have a lot of choices. 

He will have a lot of options! We didn't get to try everything over 7 days. It was all really yummy 🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

You can also request to see the next day’s Indian menu in the MDR, which seemed to us to be all vegetarian (I’m not sure if it would be vegan.  I think I have a couple from our cruise on Amsterdam.

WOW! I didn't know that existed. I would totally eat all of the food off that. Most of it looks vegan to me - I would likely just need to ask about ghee but it looks super yummy!! Great find!

15 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

You can also request to see the next day’s Indian menu in the MDR, which seemed to us to be all vegetarian (I’m not sure if it would be vegan.  I think I have a couple from our cruise on Amsterdam.

B3876685-D31C-4F9E-AB45-3BC0254EAF6C.thumb.jpeg.8f7d7b3acb53eaefb45d20746eccfd64.jpegDFF77FB6-C0E3-42F6-8941-8B3A5BC6FAA2.thumb.jpeg.cb9e3624ae56b05e65453235657005f2.jpeg

Oooh, I do hope they have this on the Zuiderdam

Re: Indian menu, you're not limited by the menu as well. On our recent NS cruise, we opted to have an Indian night at the MDR and requested thru the MDR supervisor to prep a few dishes for us (tandoori chicken, naan, basmati rice, potato curry, dhall, raita and papadums). They need just 24hrs notice ahead of time, and we really enjoyed this meal.

Something to consider. They will of course also do a full vegetarian version, or add more meat such as lamb rogan gosh etc.

This is extremely helpful.  I am a vegan, but found most if not all options on other cruise lines to be vegetarian and extremely starch heavy.  I adored the posted menu. I will be sailing on the Oosterdam in December for 7 day Mexican Riveria cruise. Are these menus used fleet wide?

You mentioned a all vegan cruise??

On 9/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, MoyCoy said:

This is extremely helpful.  I am a vegan, but found most if not all options on other cruise lines to be vegetarian and extremely starch heavy.  I adored the posted menu. I will be sailing on the Oosterdam in December for 7 day Mexican Riveria cruise. Are these menus used fleet wide?

You mentioned a all vegan cruise??

The vegan/veg menu on HAL is very good! As far as I can tell, this is fleet wide.

I did take an all vegan cruise! Holistic Holiday at Sea. I wrote all about that too if you're interested: https://justinpluslauren.com/vegan-cruise-caribbean/