What sort of lifeboat drill is being used now on Celebrity?

OnTheJourney

I have a vested interest in this, having been on the March 14 sailing of the Viking Sky. I have an upcoming sail on the Summit, and will all but have to bite my tongue if I see people not paying attention (as seems inevitable). Guess all I'd need to say to people is something like - if you haven't yet been part of a real general emergency, then you'd better pay attention, cause if or when it would ever happen, you're lucky if you fully remember what to do in the nervousness and fear of the moment. I barely did. My wife held it together much better than I. Are they still using that Bondesque-type movie? I think I'd do best to get to the drill really early so as to not have to observe any passenger inattention from the back. Can't wait till that part of the cruise is over (and not, of course, for the same reasons as those anxious for it to end). 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On our B2B they didn't use the Bond style movie. It was quite matter of fact, handled well, and over quickly. As for your fellow cruisers, say nothing. No need to start your cruise with what could be an unpleasant scene. You can't control what other people choose to do, only what you do.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

On our B2B they didn't use the Bond style movie. It was quite matter of fact, handled well, and over quickly. As for your fellow cruisers, say nothing. No need to start your cruise with what could be an unpleasant scene. You can't control what other people choose to do, only what you do.

You're absolutely right....great advice from "mom"....LOL  I'll be good.... 🙂   Glad to hear it all went well.  

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Just off Summit, they did not use that movie, just did the basics, showed how to put on preserver and important items.

GREAT!!  I had given them some input, and even talked to a Celebrity rep shortly after coming back from the Viking Sky event...so might have helped. What would be even better is to (as much as most people wouldn't like this) actually put on the life vests. We were simply shown it on the Sky as well, but then during the actual emergency - we got that life vest and it came all folded up in a cube shape - LOOKED easy enough during the drill, but, in the emotion of the moment....I had NO idea how to unfold and put the thing on without some help. Hands a bit shaky, etc. I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I now have a whole new take on any sort of life drills. Actually still a bit uneasy over the idea of getting back on a ship. Hoping for smooth seas on the Summit in a few weeks! 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

On the Reflection in August they used the movie and then a live demonstration of how to put on the life vests, however.... we were mustered in the MDR and unfortunately where we were positioned you could not see any (not 1) of the staff showing the life vests due to the posts/columns in the dining room - the staff were standing behind them and just didn't move around at all. 

We are on the Summit right now. I was quite happy at the muster drill on Sunday that they did NOT use that “Bond-like” video, which I have seen before and think is terrible. My issue with the drill was that there were 700 of us (they told us the number) in the Rendezvous Lounge, where there is seating for only a fraction of that number. People were crammed in, standing, for about half an hour.  Most of that time, nothing was happening. as we were waiting for the staterooms to be cleared and everyone checked in. I always wonder what first time cruisers take away from this experience, though I do think Celebrity handled the muster seriously, we could see the crew members demonstrating the donning of the life vests, and people were paying attention. And while the muster station was crowded, it is close to the life boats. 

Human nature being what it is there is nothing any cruise line can do to a) make people who don't think they need it pay attention and b) actually present the information in a way that someone in the panic of the moment will remember it.

Although awareness for passengers is essential crew drill is actually more important.   Because folk do panic, do shake and so forget what they need to do. Crew need to be able to respond, support and reassure.

OP - I'm so sorry you had such a difficult time.  It must have been very frightening.  And your concern is understandable.  You are doing well just to get back on a ship.  As best you can, focus on yourself. Know that you are probably better prepared to help yourself and your loved ones and try not to worry too much about what those around you do. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks Turtles06....good that Celebrity is handling it well. I'll be interested to see how it goes!  

I am glad you are able to get back on a ship. 

BTW, I suspect the demographics of our cruise are a help. Fourteen nights NE/Canada. Schools back in session, only five kids on board, mostly “older” guests (I include myself 😁), etc. 

9 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

GREAT!!  I had given them some input, and even talked to a Celebrity rep shortly after coming back from the Viking Sky event...so might have helped. What would be even better is to (as much as most people wouldn't like this) actually put on the life vests. We were simply shown it on the Sky as well, but then during the actual emergency - we got that life vest and it came all folded up in a cube shape - LOOKED easy enough during the drill, but, in the emotion of the moment....I had NO idea how to unfold and put the thing on without some help. Hands a bit shaky, etc. I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I now have a whole new take on any sort of life drills. Actually still a bit uneasy over the idea of getting back on a ship. Hoping for smooth seas on the Summit in a few weeks! 

I’m glad you’re still sailing

9 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Disagree with putting on the vests, they used to do that and people played with the vests, blew the whistles.  Plus there probably would not be enough room in the current venues to put it on.   Just simply created a terrible situation   I'm sure if you think you would have a problem a crew member would be happy to allow you to practice. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just returned from a cruise on Explorer of the Seas.

Our Muster station was out on deck, below our LIFEBOAT, so at least we knew where to go in an emergency. Although we were lined up like children waiting to go into school, we could see the demonstration and could hear the safety information.

I must admit that I was very surprised that Royal, who are supposed to be the family ships, had a traditional Muster drill, whereas Celebrity showed that weird film in Murano, where there was so little room. 

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Our Muster station was out on deck, below our LIFEBOAT, so at least we knew where to go in an emergency. Although we were lined up like children waiting to go into school, we could see the demonstration and could hear the safety information.

I must admit that I was very surprised that Royal, who are supposed to be the family ships, had a traditional Muster drill, whereas Celebrity showed that weird film in Murano, where there was so little room. 

They showed that terrible movie on Oasis and Harmony last year.  Much too loud, to the point of being painful to the ears.

4 hours ago, upwarduk said:

The ridiculous Bond muster drill film was not shown on our 8 September Summit cruise. Our muster was held in the theater and demonstrated by the staff like in the past. Our life jackets were out of our way stashed in a basket under our bed.

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Our Muster station was out on deck, below our LIFEBOAT, so at least we knew where to go in an emergency.

Celebrity also shows you where to go in an emergency: to your muster station.