What is on your last minute list of things to do...

spleenstomper

6 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I have our passports, I have to drop a return off at the post office, I sent my kids our itinerary..... just found the camera, etc. I’m nearly finished packing, need another swim suit and cover up packed and need to pack shoes. Got the meds packed with extra since it is hurricane season.

My previously mentioned habit (it's more of a curse) of laying awake at night making sure I remembered everything doesn't always work. Last year I forgot my swim trunks. Didn't realize it until we got to our first port (Grand Turk). Went on a tropical cruise vacation and forgot the most obvious article of clothing. I was not happy. I got off the ship first thing while my family ate breakfast and hit the shops. Thanks to that bonehead move, I had to fork over $25 for a pair of swim trunks. 😒 Now I have two pair when I rarely ever use one. If I forget them again this December, I'm swimming in my shorts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With my kids so close in age, I used to lay out their luggage in the living room and then say, “go get 7 pair of underwear” and we’d pack it and then I’d say, “go get 7 shirts” etc.  well of course one cruise (the Bahamas key west one) but eldest only had the shorts he wore on the ship. Lol 

the closest pair was in the shop was a 32, so DH used his belt and it was hilarious, but he was able to wear those shorts for like another 5 years as he grew unto them.

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

I always pack the night before a cruise or a vacation.  I'll take a minute and review all my travel docs as well.

Flu shot shouldn't be a last minute item.  If you get a shot even the week before a cruise, it won't reach full effect until after you get off the ship.  For maximum effectiveness, the immunization needs several weeks to take full effect.

About 2 weeks to take effect.

• Like 2

I have a packing checklist... I had the habit of starting to gather stuff in one place a few weeks before the cruise... I don't know how many times I checked off items I "thought" I packed, only to find onboard that I'd missed them... (sleepwear, UNDIES!!!) 

So now my checklist has 2 columns- one when I add it to the cruise pile, one when it actually goes IN the suitcase!

Last minute stuff has mostly been mentioned here... I would add a couple:

T Minus 1-2 weeks:

• 10 days before I check all our prescriptions to make sure we have plenty (cruise plus 3-4 days depending on the length of the cruise). Get refills if needed
  • Check passports for the 42nd (out of 64) time...
  • Nag hubby to get a haircut
  • Notify vet we'll be away and who is watching the beasts, in case they have an emergency and need to take one of them to the vet
  • Hair & nails for me! (absolute cruise requirement- the only time I ever do my nails!)

T Minus 1 day:

• Check passports for the 63rd time (last time, as we're getting in the car!)
  • Empty perishables out of the fridge
  • Empty the kitchen garbage (see previous point- you don't want to know how this item made it to the checklist, let's just say it wasn't fun when we got home!)
  • Check that actual addresses are in the map function on my phone (pre-cruise hotel address, restaurant night before cruise, cruise port)
  • Print paper copies of all reservations- cruise, hotel, parking etc; add to carry-on bag
  • Like 1

Hi Spleenstomper ☺️

My wife & I use two packing lists. Our main packing list is tremendous, extremely extensive & very personalized. Our 2nd list, the 'Last Minute List' is always taped/attached to the inside of our house door. The last minute list simply details things related to the home that have to be taken care of before opening the door & leaving. 

Have a terrific sailing!

🌴

• Like 1

Yes, I had hair, nails and feet done this week, so that’s done. Had my first dip manicure. 

Passports are out but not in my purse yet.

I started cleaning out the fridge (trash goes out tonight). A cleaning duo is coming tomorrow to do a deep clean of the house so it will be fresh when we get back. 

I just printed out the cruise documents and dropped off that package at the post office.

I have to find one of my dog’s collar.

Need to get a bottle of wine and pack socks and shoes. 

We have a dog/house sitter - and a general contractor son doing renovations, so the house is accounted for.

The checked luggage is packed, ready to go - just need to put electronics and other carryon items into their bags. [actually three bags - a big one with the wine, a small one stacked on top with electronics & stuff and my old camera bag]

The only think that will be in my [jacket] pocket at check in will be my passport. The top of the camera bag will be for anything that normally rides in a pocket plus sun and reading glasses. Mrs Bear will be pampering her new knee, and not bringing a carryon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Turn off my AC. Not paying to maintain a house temp while I am gone

I created a packing checklist in Word. I check that the night before. I no longer forget things

Notifying the bank is a thing of the past, at least with some companies. With all of the technology we have, many banks already know you are traveling. Haven't had a problem with Chase

Our bank (FNB) is big about it.  I have gone 3 hours to Kansas City for a day trip to IKEA and my card was denied.  Got a call from fraud protection about 15 minutes later.  To me that wasn't traveling.  I just went to IKEA.

For all travel, domestic or intl, fly/drive, we cover the dining with a cloth and it becomes our 'staging area.'  We can see everything laid out.  And frequently take things off the table cause seeing it laid out we'll realize that we don't need that many of certain items.  We have a leather document case that holds passports and other related things.

• Like 1

Another "vote" that it is not too early for a flu shot.  Our experience in a nutshell - went on a cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver in mid-September.  We asked our doc's office about getting the shot and they said it was a bit early (end of Aug/first of Sep in Tennessee) for our season.  Well guess what, it wasn't too early for the hundreds of Canadians and upper Pacific coast passengers onboard.  Incredible amount of sickness onboard - coughing, sneezing, etc.  Medical was kept pretty busy.  We both got the flu (first time for me at age 51).

Back to the main subject - we have a list (lists) we developed over the years with tasks starting 2-3 weeks out on up to the moment we leave.  That being said, I still check our passports at least 20 times between home and the airport! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Way too early for a flu shot—unless you are going to be away for more than a month. People are in a rush to get their shots too early and have little protection when the flu season actually strikes in force

Not exactly.

When the develop the vaccine for a year, they pick the 3 strains that they think are most likely.

Sometimes they guess wrong, and none of those 3 show up.  Then they scramble to come up with a new vaccine to fit what shows up.

In that case, you need to get the later revised version.  But then, you will have immunity to 6 strains.  

Your immunity does not go away that quickly, but the flu mutates so quickly, that it is seldom the same from year to year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

My previously mentioned habit (it's more of a curse) of laying awake at night making sure I remembered everything doesn't always work. Last year I forgot my swim trunks. Didn't realize it until we got to our first port (Grand Turk). Went on a tropical cruise vacation and forgot the most obvious article of clothing. I was not happy. I got off the ship first thing while my family ate breakfast and hit the shops. Thanks to that bonehead move, I had to fork over $25 for a pair of swim trunks. 😒 Now I have two pair when I rarely ever use one. If I forget them again this December, I'm swimming in my shorts.

This is why I do not do checklists.   Too many different trips.

I start with my normal things, toiletries, flip flops, gym shorts (wear around the room).

Then, I mentally dress myself.  Underwear, get it, put in the suitcase.  T-shirts, if needed, get them, put them in the suitcase.  Socks, what types, get them, put them in the suitcase.  All the way to dressed.  

Then, what I am going to do on this trip, swim?  Then swim suits, sun scree, sun tops, maybe mask and snorkle?  Snow?  Heavy socks, long johns, etc.

For things like meds, mentally go through my morning routine, packing step by step.

Quick, and seldom miss things

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SRF said:

Underwear, get it, put in the suitcase.  T-shirts, if needed, get them, put them in the suitcase.  Socks, what types, get them, put them in the suitcase. 

Really?  The first things that go in the suitcase are the 'nicer' things.  Lay flat.  The things you mention go in last and pack around the other stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Not exactly.

When the develop the vaccine for a year, they pick the 3 strains that they think are most likely.

Sometimes they guess wrong, and none of those 3 show up.  Then they scramble to come up with a new vaccine to fit what shows up.

In that case, you need to get the later revised version.  But then, you will have immunity to 6 strains.  

Your immunity does not go away that quickly, but the flu mutates so quickly, that it is seldom the same from year to year.

Recommended by end of Oct. That’s over a month away and yes, immunity does wane by the peak of the season which is mid Dec through March. Newer versions of the vaccine are exactly why you should not rush to get the first available immunization. You don’t keep getting multiple shots as they are developed. Children who need two doses should of course begin early enough. The older the person, usually the less immunity they develop from the immunization thus you will want the peak to coincide with the peak flu season. Get mine early Nov and have never had the flu. I also work at a famous medical institution which recommends waiting.

Yes, there are areas of the world where the season starts earlier or later and you should be cognizant of that when traveling. Also not all sneezing and coughing is “the flu”. There are many other respiratory illnesses.

• Thanks 1