Worst ship?

DavidTheWonderer

For personal reasons unrelated to cruising, I checked out the Carnival board today for the first time.  There is a very active thread there called "Which Carnival ship(s) would you never sail again?" A brief scan seemed to showed a large number of their ships were nominated.

There have been active discussions on this board of which Regent ship is a favorite. And all the ships get mentioned. But I can't imagine a thread here titled "Which Regent ship(s) would you never sail again?"

If such a question appeared here, my answer would be the dear departed Diamond, but only because it left the fleet years ago.

we have had two lovely cruises on the Navigator and would be more than happy to sail on her again IF the itinerary suited us.  I am less enthusiastic about the Voyager.  have not yet been on the Explorer.  Mariner - lots of cruises on her and no problem in returning.

We will be on the Splendour in March - really looking forward to that.

In sum:  I do not think Regent has any ship we would really avoid and for most we would jump at the chance to go back!

• Like 1

I suspect each ship in the fleet has its weaknesses and strengths, but none that I can say is worst.  Little Navigator has its detractors, but it has wonderful standard suites, for instance.  Mariner has better public spaces than Voyager, but Voyager has better standard suites.  Voyager and Mariner have forward Observation Lounges, Navigator does not.  I can't comment on the new ship, haven't been, but to me, it feels too glitzy.  I'm not so much into glamour any more.

The lack specialty restaurants don't really bother me, Compass Rose is wonderful usually. But Navigator can feel a bit cramped when the weather is bad--I guess they use her for all those northern destinations because of her hardened hull and because the demand is smaller, but I would avoid her for both extreme climates and probably crossings, but I still love her intimacy.

Haven't been on Voyager for quite a while, but she was our favourite for years.  A bit of a vibration, although not as bad as Navigator.  Mariner has none.  Again, can't comment on Explorer.

4 hours ago, Portolan said:

Yeah, instead of "worst" it'd have to be "least wonderful."  For us, the Navigator mostly because of lack of alternative dining venues.  But, that wouldn't slow us down a bit if she were going where we want to go.

Agree with you completely.  I would rather sail on any Regent ship than on another cruise line.

Have been fortunate to be able to sail on all the current and past ships except Song of Flower which was gone before we started sailing on Regent..

Must say The Diamond was our least favorite. Strange set up. For current ships the Navigator was not high on our list.

We were on it 03/11/2009 and the vibrations were difficult to handle. On it again 10/28/18 and must say we were very impressed. So impressed we are sailing on it again 11/04/19.

Favorite ship for us is still the Mariner by far. Voyager, comes in 2nd. Explorer still can't decide.

19 hours ago, Jim B said:

Have been fortunate to be able to sail on all the current and past ships except Song of Flower which was gone before we started sailing on Regent..

Must say The Diamond was our least favorite. Strange set up. For current ships the Navigator was not high on our list.

We were on it 03/11/2009 and the vibrations were difficult to handle. On it again 10/28/18 and must say we were very impressed. So impressed we are sailing on it again 11/04/19.

Favorite ship for us is still the Mariner by far. Voyager, comes in 2nd. Explorer still can't decide.

I think I agree about Diamond.  Only sailed her once and loved it, it was unique.  Loved the open bridge, where you could just walk right in from the pool deck.  Loved the main dining room--it was truly wonderful--forward, with windows all around--great views.  But then there was the lack of viable secondary dining, the dreadful Don Vito's, and the rooms were a bit tighter--balconies were metal as I remember, so more closed-in as I remember.  The catamaran aspect was interesting, but I think the captain and crew hated that aspect.

And of course the Paul Gauguin was a Regent-ish ship (managed, not owned), for a long time, and our first.  Still my favourite ship of all time.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:32 AM, Jim B said:

Ah the Paul Gauguin. What not to like about that ship since it was all about being in French Polynesia.  

That first morning having breakfast after arrival the night before was one of those magical moments.

I've heard concerning things about the PG's new owner.  The ship reportedly is in need of a refurbishment.  Hopefully Ponant can handle that.  However, a poster on another board indicated that the food on Ponant has gone from okay to not so okay to terrible.  Not sure what this means for the PG.

Edited by Travelcat2

Good question to start a lively discussion (as if we need an excuse for that!)  I agree that all the ships are terrific.  I would add one opinion.  I would not sail on Explorer or Splendor to Alaska or Norway.  The ability to walk around the deck, including fore and aft is very important to me when cruising in extremely scenic waters.  For other itineraries, I loved Explorer and expect to love Splendor.  We are on a TA crossing on Splendor in April and I will miss watching the dolphins play in the wake, but there are lots of other compensations.

On 9/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, wishIweretravelling said:

Then there's the Song of Flower. I realize that today her smaller cabins and scarcity of balconies would not be acceptable to luxury cruisers, but I've not seen a ship before or since to match her. 

Everyone I have met who sailed on this ship has had the same kind of comment.

As for the PG, Ponant claims they will not be changing things much.  (We were last on two years ago, and the ship was very well maintained--refurb and drydock will happen next in the spring of 2020.)

• 3 weeks later...

We have sailed on all the ships more than once, with the exception of the Navigator (have a couple booked though).  But I’ll echo what Wendy just said. I’ve never been on a ship like the Song of Flower.  That was one rockin’ boat!  A complete blast.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:36 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Everyone I have met who sailed on this ship has had the same kind of comment.

As for the PG, Ponant claims they will not be changing things much.  (We were last on two years ago, and the ship was very well maintained--refurb and drydock will happen next in the spring of 2020.)

On another board, Ponant is getting blasted for their food which apparently is getting worse and worse.  The PG is also, according to the same board, is in real need of refurbishment.  Hopefully, Ponant will do what is necessary to bring the ship back to what it should be and that the food will be better than on other Ponant ships.

3 hours ago, Floridiana said:

Have you sailed with them? The food was just fine when we sailed with them, but it catered to French tastes neglecting American preferences. 

As I mentioned, I read two or three posts on another board where posters said that the food has gone downhill pretty dramatically.  Just sharing my concerns based on those posts.  

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

On another board, Ponant is getting blasted for their food which apparently is getting worse and worse.  The PG is also, according to the same board, is in real need of refurbishment.  Hopefully, Ponant will do what is necessary to bring the ship back to what it should be and that the food will be better than on other Ponant ships.

The coming refurbishment was planned well before the takeover, btw.  And as I said, two years ago the ship was in fine shape, and the food was great.