Do you Like the direction..

rucrazy

Right or wrong direction for Holland America Line?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction Orlando Ashford seems to be leading Holland America Line?

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Of course.

Don't forget to spend spend spend on the extras. You have a heavy responsibility. You're replacing the guys who have left for Viking, Oceania and Seabourn. 

How much anger from those who spent MUCH money on their nEPTUNE SUITE,   have to,  WAIT, wait, wait STANDING IN LINe  while  THEY KNOW THEY ALWAYS BOARDED MUCH FASTER because of THEIr  NEPTUNE SUITE acommodation,  BUT NOw PEOPLE HAVE PAID $15 TO  be  in  LINE IN front of  many of them and in front of  all the FIVe ***** Mariners who have cruised soo  much and for all intents and purposes had their priority taken away.   

I picture some quite  angry 'loyal  HAL cruisers.   Perhaps it is a  way for HAL to get rid of us.       There have  been several comments here on C c  recently  saying HAL wants  us  g one.  This just might accomplish that for them  while creating lots of hard feelings.?   Is that good business practice in this era of  Social Media?    upset customers of other companies  have b een quite  vocal in telling the world, literally  all their negative comments?  Take advantage of customers  treat them poorly and don't forget to wave when they 'might'  go bye-bye.

image.png.09b559ed869b0ee11cf50f2a74040535.png

image.png.71c64a182e4d5af8b1202e831c280d5f.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 4:54 PM, mcrcruiser said:

As a single cruiser  you need to check different lines to get a fair deal . By the same token ,we know factually that we now get a better  per day price with HAL vs Celebrity  . Even when we did a 10 night sailing on Koningsdam this past March into a  10 night  Southern Caribbean ,HALS price per day was much better than Xs price point  .We had a great time on that cruise .The food  & all  services were excellent .

If we were still flying  ,the only time I would look at Celebrity now ,would be on a trans Atlantic cruise purely for pricing . However ,I still prefer HALs itinerary ,like  Nieuw Statendam next April ending in Amsterdam  .For itinerary purposes ,that sailing is interesting  &  very reasonably priced  .

We have been through Europe twice in the past & now at 80 it is just too stressful to fly with  delayed flights ,cancelled flights ,non stop flights , & sudden gate changes  ,along with very crowded planes & handling luggage  in the airport .Even though we can get through security lines with a wheelchair quickly ,it is still a stressful time all around .

We wish you successful cruising  . I personally  now would not consider cruising if I was a single cruiser ;but .we do have a large family close by  & that would be my

The only cruise line I will sail all by myself,alone is HAL.

It is the 'best deal' for , me  because that is where  I want to be.

If I wanted to sail  ,  Seabourn,  Viking , Oceania or Silversea I would.  I do not  want to

.image.png.833ae3fb517cb45368c8fe92c779f89a.png

On 9/17/2019 at 4:54 PM, mcrcruiser said:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

The only cruise line I will sail all by myself,alone is HAL.

It is the 'best deal' for , me  because that is where  I want to be.

And, that is what is most important regardless of the sales gimmicks that any company employ.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

My understanding is that the upgrade isn't within the letter category, but within the larger category, like inside, ocean view, verandah, etc. So you might be upgraded from an F to an E or a D, but not to a verandah. 

That's a different interpretation of what I think of as an upgrade within a "letter category" that I have.  HAL's semantics may be responsible for my "confusion"?  

Regardless:  when I book a specific stateroom, THAT is the stateroom in which I wish to sail.  Any Club Orange upgrade is going to have to be very significant before I will agree.  

4 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

As a 2* Mariner, I think I would seriously consider the deal at $15 per person, per day.  That could get you a nice upgrade, free ship tour, access to the Club Orange for meals, priority boarding, and many other cool perks.  At $50 per person, per day, I'm not sure the value is there.

You do realize that there is no separate Club Orange venue except in the two newest ships - The current price is $35 per person for those ships. You get priority seating in the MDR on the rest. And it is not necessarily a free tour - it is the Captain's choice. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

As a 2* Mariner, I think I would seriously consider the deal at $15 per person, per day.  That could get you a nice upgrade, free ship tour, access to the Club Orange for meals, priority boarding, and many other cool perks.  At $50 per person, per day, I'm not sure the value is there.

Club Orange for meals is only on the two humungoudams (thank you for that term, ancientwanderer!). I don't expect to see $15 offers on CO on those ships, where the regular price is $35. So far the people who have been offered the $15 CO have been on the smaller ships where there is no separate dining room and the regular price is $25. 

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That's a different interpretation of what I think of as an upgrade within a "letter category" that I have.  HAL's semantics may be responsible for my "confusion"?  

Regardless:  when I book a specific stateroom, THAT is the stateroom in which I wish to sail.  Any Club Orange upgrade is going to have to be very significant before I will agree.  

The fine print says best available within the same "meta category," which I interpret as the major categories--inside, OV, balcony, etc. But who knows what HAL means. And "best available" apparently isn't true, since someone reported that they took CO and got a slight upgrade while friends who did not take CO got a better upgrade (a few more letters upward).

HAL is a confusing mess. Five categories of ships, three if you lump R and S together as "small" and Vista and Signature together  as "medium." Two ships have a separate CO, most don't. Some ships have the Dutch cafe, most don't. Some ships have Tamarind, some don't. Some have Rolling Stone Rock Room, most don't. Most have BB King, a few don't. A few still have a combo playing in Ocean Bar, most don't. Nobody seems to know if there are shows in the main lounge/showroom any more. They tried the Rijksmuseum at sea on one ship and never did it on another. The configuration of Crows Nest varies. Some ships have Exc up there, other ships don't. 

I've learned so much more about what's on various ships from reading posts here than from looking at HAL's website. The comparison chart helps, but for someone thinking about HAL for the first time, it must be overwhelming.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, awhcruiser said:

Why didn't you try to go 30 mins early instead of scrapping that class of ship? 

I guess Im just a quality of experience snob!  The number one thing i dislike on any vacation is waiting in line, or wasting any of my precious time, so preplanning to be at a particular spot on the ship 30 minutes before an event starts, IMHO, is a huge waste of my quality time on board.  I would, (and do), spend a lot more money for a quality experience and that generally happens on smaller ships.  That's why.  (no disrespect intended)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

I guess Im just a quality of experience snob!  The number one thing i dislike on any vacation is waiting in line, or wasting any of my precious time, so preplanning to be at a particular spot on the ship 30 minutes before an event starts, IMHO, is a huge waste of my quality time on board.  I would, (and do), spend a lot more money for a quality experience and that generally happens on smaller ships.  That's why.  (no disrespect intended)

My goodness, a fellow "queue hater."  DW and I sometimes talk about our "queue avoidance" strategies and I once thought about writing a book about "queue avoidance" techniques.  Cruise ships are a perfect place to practice my craft :).  Having been a confirmed "people watcher" for most of my life I am convinced that there is a segment of our population who truly enjoys waiting in long lines.  Even on HAL we have seen interesting examples of this "line/queue loving" practice.  I once came upon a couple who were waiting patiently outside the MDR about 20 minutes before the doors were scheduled to open for dinner.  We had a chat and they mentioned they had a Fixed Seating table for 6 with two empty chairs....if we were interested in joining them (we were not).  I asked why they were waiting in line when they already had an assigned table and they told us they just like to be first into the MDR.  We have also seen this queue loving thing when boarding HAL cruises.  On one long Prinsendam cruise we cleared security (at embarkation) and were directed to the priority line for 4-5* Mariners.  The line was very long (about 2/3 of the 600 passengers were 4-5*) and moving at a snails pace.  Next to us was the regular check-in line which was empty.  So we simply walked over to the regular line and were processed within a minute (it would have taken over 30 min in the priority line).  One lady actually remarked to her companion  "I worked hard to get into this line (priority) and I will not get into the regular line!"  Of course we heard this as we were walking past on our way to board the ship (we wonder if that lady is still waiting in line.

Hank

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Club Orange for meals is only on the two humungoudams (thank you for that term, ancientwanderer!).

Disclaimer:  WAY off-topic. 

But -- just to set the record straight -- 'twas I who invented the term "humungoudam" (post #147).  I did that to distinguish the Pinnacle-class ships from the "enormodams" -- the Signature Sisters.  In case you haven't already discerned, I'm an R-class/S-class troglodyte 🙄

OK, y'all may get back on-topic now.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Well, I'm a realist.  I said I wouldn't do it, but I am doing it.

We have an Asia cruise booked that has a very port intensive itinerary.  I wanted open seating because of the long port days.  With the CO, the dining should go well and make for a civilized cruise, and still at a cost below one of the luxury lines.

Stupid, really, at 4-star.  We are paying for many "extras" that we already receive, but we'll give it a try and see if it upgrades our overall cruise experience.  If it does, it's worth it.  It if doesn't...one time shame on you; two times shame on me.

2 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Disclaimer:  WAY off-topic. 

But -- just to set the record straight -- 'twas I who invented the term "humungoudam" (post #147).  I did that to distinguish the Pinnacle-class ships from the "enormodams" -- the Signature Sisters.  In case you haven't already discerned, I'm an R-class/S-class troglodyte 🙄

OK, y'all may get back on-topic now.

Thank you for expanding my vocabulary. I hadn't noticed "enormodam" either, but it's a good word.

I like the R/S ships, but my favorite class is Vista because I love the spa with the hydropool. And balconies are less expensive than on the R and S ships. Haven't tried enormodams yet. Tried the K and didn't like it. Gave it a second try because of itinerary and just didn't enjoy that ship. So my next cruise is on Zuiderdam, and I'm hoping that ship will make me love HAL again. If HAL would put a proper hydropool on the R and S ships, that would be perfect. (I know, I know, where would they squeeze it in, but that's my wish list)

To go back to the title of this thread, as others have commented, HAL doesn't appear to have a direction beyond the trend to larger ships, a trend I don't embrace. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've learned so much more about what's on various ships from reading posts here than from looking at HAL's website. The comparison chart helps, but for someone thinking about HAL for the first time, it must be overwhelming.

It does help having been "around the barn" a few times in figuring out the "ins and outs" of some of the ships and cruise lines.  In late December, I was a newbie to that type of ship when I sailed on Royal Princess.  I disembarked as a not really satisfied cruiser because of that experience.  Upon reflection:  I learned and sailing on such a "monster" again, I think I will be a more satisfied in the future.    

I do not like the direction HAL is going.  I have been cruising since 2007, and especially  in the past 5 years, each time we sail I notice something has disappeared.  This summer it was fresh flowers in the dining room which had disappeared, and the dining room stewards were so busy we barely had time for a chat.   It may each time  be small changes, but these add up over the years and a real decline in the experience happens.   Most  importantly  the trend towards larger ships, which will impact the itineraries,  is a concern to our family.

I really don’t understand why HAL wants to focus on 20-30 year olds, if this is the case.  I am a 4 star mariner and at 55 hope to have a good 15-20 years of cruising left!

You would think that HAL would want to keep this business as we will have the money and time to cruise in the coming years.  We are loyal customers but as the smaller ships get fewer,  and the quality less,  this will change.

At the mariners lunch, we hear the speech about HAL being proud to have the most loyal customers of any cruise line.  However, I feel we are not as valued as we should be.  Head office seems to have stopped listening to us.    If they keep going in this direction they will throw away a loyal customer base that will be hard to replace.

• Like 1

Companies that stop listening to their customers are not acting in their own best interests and it would not make sense for HAL to cease to listen to their once-loyal base even if they are trying to appeal to a new demographic.

After noting a decline in RCI food, I dropped a note that went up the food (pardon the pun) chain.  I received a call from a VP when we returned and, on our next cruise, we were met inside the terminal in Miami by the head of the hotel staff and the head chef.  We had special food all week and so much attention that it was almost embarrassing (we got over that quickly).  Even when we were in the buffet, we had special attention.

While that was very nice, it doesn't necessarily address the long-term decline in food and service that is apparent on all cruise lines.  But, it does show that not everything that we say falls on dead ears.  The VP (who is relatively new) told us that he has heard the concerns of customers but with 26 ships (and more on the way), there is a challenge with making changes.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My goodness, a fellow "queue hater."  DW and I sometimes talk about our "queue avoidance" strategies and I once thought about writing a book about "queue avoidance" techniques. .....

.....One lady actually remarked to her companion  "I worked hard to get into this line (priority) and I will not get into the regular line!"  Of course we heard this as we were walking past on our way to board the ship (we wonder if that lady is still waiting in line.

Hank

That is just too funny, but you are right, Mrs Banjo and I see it all the time.  And I guess, like you would rather go into the I'm a nobody line if it is shorter.  Here are couple of examples. We never eat dinner in the MDR on the first night, it is always jammed up and has a line, that is the night we will opt for a premium restaurant, or we just eat on the Lido to avoid the crush.  Also at check in we try to arrive about 2 hours after it opens, seems that is the low point, at the open it is crazy and near the end can be a mad rush as well..  Anyway, loved your story..... Write that book!

5 hours ago, ricka47 said:

After noting a decline in RCI food, I dropped a note that went up the food (pardon the pun) chain.  I received a call from a VP when we returned and, on our next cruise, we were met inside the terminal in Miami by the head of the hotel staff and the head chef.  We had special food all week and so much attention that it was almost embarrassing (we got over that quickly).  Even when we were in the buffet, we had special attention.

I doubt that HAL passengers would get the same attention unless they sail in the Owners Suite.

5 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I doubt that HAL passengers would get the same attention unless they sail in the Owners Suite.

There is NO Owners Suite on HAL, never has been.  (There is on Oceania).  

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Is the corporate culture that much different on HAL/Carnival than it is at Royal Caribbean?  I really doubt that.

Edited by ricka47

On 9/19/2019 at 6:13 AM, crusinbanjo said:

I agree 100%.  If to get a seat, you have to show up 30 minutes early to a venue that only features a cover band, then something is totally wrong with the design of that event.  That's the sort of thing people should be able to come and go.  

I can understand showing up early to the main productions on RCI like Mama Mia or Hairspray but even in those cases, 30 minutes is stretching it.  Just for a cover band?  That's ridiculous.  

But hey, this is HAL.  It's probably that way because there are so few choices for entertainment in the evenings.  

• Like 2

I believe it is a fact that the cruise lines troll CC..to gauge their customer base, with that assumed, I have this question:

Do you think that according to this snapshot in time (poll) they get the fact that over 67% of past HAL cruisers are not happy with the direction the company is heading?

Joseph

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

I believe it is a fact that the cruise lines troll CC..to gauge their customer base, with that assumed, I have this question:

Do you think that according to this snapshot in time (poll) they get the fact that over 67% of past HAL cruisers are not happy with the direction the company is heading?

Joseph

I think you meant to say "Over 67% of past HAL cruisers 1) who are active on CC and 2) who have voted on this poll".  Not exactly the same thing. I, for example, have not voted because for me the answer is not clear-cut.

I suspect HAL realizes that a certain percentage of past cruisers are not happy with their direction. The question is, do they want to do (or have any reason to do) anything about it?

• Like 4