priority boarding?

jannray

We are sailing on Liberty OTS  for the second time, so we now "gold"  status.  It says we get priority boarding.  So, in practicality, what will that mean regarding boarding in Galveston?  Last time we arrived at 12 noon and stood in line for 21/2 hours.  I would like to NOT repeat that, even if it means arriving much later or much earlier.  Guess I am wondering if having "priority" will shorten boarding all that much.

Something must have been amiss for you to have waited 2.5 hours to board. 

If things are running smoothly, the difference between the highest priority boarding and "Gold" will be maybe 10-15 minutes. 

1 minute ago, jannray said:

That cruise was a first on RCI, so no status at all that cruise. Sorry I didn't make that clear. 

Add 5 more minutes for those with no C&A level vs Gold.  It's really nothing to be concerned about.  If something goes wrong, then all bets are off and all priorities will be delayed.

This line I am speaking of was to get to the check in counter, after a long line to the security scanner, not physically walk onto the ship.  That is what I am asking about.  Will THAT be shortened substantially with gold C&A status?

14 minutes ago, jannray said:

This line I am speaking of was to get to the check in counter, after a long line to the security scanner, not physically walk onto the ship.  That is what I am asking about.  Will THAT be shortened substantially with gold C&A status?

I don't believe that Gold status will have a significant effect.

36 minutes ago, jannray said:

Highly doubtful that it will be significantly Shorter, at times it can be even longer than the regular line. 

1 hour ago, jannray said:

Gold is the lowest C&A status.

You have to be at least Diamond status (80 cruise points) or pay for Key to get a noticeable priority check in/ boarding.

Edited by grapau27

priority boarding is NOT the same as Priority Check in.

as a Gold, you will not likely see any  speedy process before the Security checkpoint, nor will you likely be shown to a shorter line afterward. 

once you are checked in, boarding groups are as follows:  back to backers, Wedding parties, Pinnacle, Suites , Key( or any  order of these main 4 groups) followed by   a boarding number based on your status.  the time  between the first group being called and the last is typically under 20 minutes.  

boarding has typically begun by 11-1130 at Galveston.  my guess is the cruise before yours had a significant delay in clearing the ship for you to have  waited that long to check in and board.  more than once our departure was delayed by an hour or more due to fog, and once  winds so string they couldn't bring the gangway over to the  ship

23 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Something must have been amiss for you to have waited 2.5 hours to board. 

If things are running smoothly, the difference between the highest priority boarding and "Gold" will be maybe 10-15 minutes. 

Not in Galveston..... the pre-security lines can be HORRENDOUS. 

OP, we recently cruise on Majesty.  We were Emerald and were talking with someone who was in a Suite before we entered the port building.  They entered the Suite door, we went in the doors for emerald.  We had our cards in hand before they did.

I would expect gold vs. pre-gold may not be substantially different. Its somewhat the luck of the draw, how many people in front of you/them, how fast your line is, how difficult people are in front of you, etc.  Really no guarantees.  Going later (say after 12:00 or so) may mean shorter lines.  But, we haven't sailed from Galveston, so maybe that port is different.

In Galveston…. once you enter the terminal you will see TWO lines....The Priority line is for "The Key"; "Suite guests" & "Pinnacles" only. No Diamond/Diamond+ C&A members anymore. The other line is for "everyone else".... the Zig Zag (think Six Flags Lines)  lines can be VERY long depending on when you arrive at the terminal. It can take an hour or so easily to get to the security scanners. 

Once past security you will go to the Check-In counters... this is where you will see different lines based on C&A status'. Just find the line that corresponds to YOUR status (I am not sure if there is a Priority line for Gold???) but once in that area, it usually doesn't take long at all to get checked-in. 

Then you will go up the elevators to the waiting area...that is divided by C&A status again...if they have not started boarding yet, you will wait in your designated area... Gold status is only one up from no status..... so you will still wait a bit before all the upper tiers are allowed to go …. but at this point it shouldn't take but a few minutes. 

If you want to actually have Priority everything...then purchase The Key or stay in a Full Suite. 

Galveston can be a nightmare at times.... we usually arrive early..... but I've been told arriving later... after 1:00 you can go right in. 

Edited by SRV FAN