Taking the plunge

BJs mom

Booked my first solo cruise for February 1st  on the Carnival Conquest. Really nervous but excited at the same time. Even though I've been on almost 30 cruise, I've done most of them on Carnival and never had a bad cruise, excluding rare weather issues. I've done a couple of cruises with John Heald as the cruise director and those were some of the best so I choose a cruise he would be on again.  Hope to touch base with anyone else who will be on board as well.  I've been thinking of this for the past few months but always cruised with my husband and family but my husband passed away almost a year ago so have to start a new chapter and get on with my journey. 

• Like 2

First off sorry for your loss and glad to hear you’re getting out and enjoying life. 

Superbowl Sunday is that weekend, so Miami is going to be a zoo. Be sure to procure your hotel and flight early as they may be limited or non-existent if you wait on it. 

Have a great cruise

• Like 1

Thanks and I know about the super bowl so booked an early flight out the same day.  Usually come in a day before but went into sticker shock when I saw the prices.  I'm flying in from the Florida panhandle so not a long flight but still nervous about delayed flights.  Fingers crossed.

I applaud your decision to "strike out on your own".  As a past Carnival guest, booking your first "solo cruise" on a cruise line with which you are familiar is an excellent idea.  In a sense, you know what to expect.  And, as a solo cruiser, I predict that the Carnival product that you enjoyed in the past will continue to please you.

As a solo cruiser, I find it easy to meet others (solo or not) by sitting at a bar.  The Atrium Bar on Carnival ships usually is a "social hub" of the vessel.  Many solos book anytime type dining.  I don't; I don't care for it.  I find it more enjoyable to be a part of a small, regular dining group with my own dining room Stewards.  I get to know them; they get to know me.  The Conquest Class ships have great Steakhouses.  Don't hesitate to book a dinner in that venue and dine alone, if you wish to do so.  If you can go out to dinner at a local restaurant and dine alone, that experience will be the same type as dining in a specialty restaurant on a ship.

My first Carnival solo cruise was on a sister ship of Conquest:  Carnival Freedom, during Spring Break no less.  It was a great cruise and I was satisfied enough that I have returned to Carnival since that one.

Best wishes for an enjoyable and safe cruise adventure!   

• Like 1

Thanks so much, a lot of my friends and family think I'm crazy for doing this alone but I'm determined to start doing things on my own and not always wait to see what everybody else wants to do. I look at it as another adventure I wouldn't have if I don't just do it!!

• Like 1

First, I am sorry for your loss but I am cheered by your determination to move forward.

I think you will find quite a few other solo travelers if you continue on your journey.  

I have been on the Conquest twice.  Once while my wife was still alive and once this past Spring.  I enjoyed the ship both times but it was different this time.  I had one of my granddaughters with me but she is 13 so I might as well have been solo 90% of the time.  The Conquest wasn't the best solo venue I have been on but if you join the Roll Call and participate in the Meet & Greet, you should find new friends.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss as well. This will be my second cruise on Conquest too, that cruise the ship was almost brand new.  I have joined the roll call and already found some interesting people.  I will go to the Meet & Greet, think it's like a shot glass exchange.  I will try to participate in as many activities as I can but when I want to relax I booked a balcony as I find being near the sea always makes me feel so serene.  Thanks for all the good advise and wish me luck on my new adventure!

I hope you have a fantastic cruise and meet many interesting people.

I don't gamble or drink but I have been on 2 slot pulls.  It was a good way to meet some fun people.  Also don't forget Mardi Gras beads if the Roll Call is having a get together on embarkation day.   If they aren't planning one, suggest it.

Have fun.

I will go to the slot pull even though I'm not a gambler although sometimes I do play the penny slots.  There is a meet & greet and I definitely will go to that.  I do appreciate all the encouragement and hopefully by the time I get on the cruise the worst of the nerves will be ovet.

Went on my 1st solo cruise in April. Booked it last minute and hubby could not go. Was nervous at first but boy did I have a great time. Ate by myself when I wanted but easily found others to dine with when I wanted. Did what I wanted when I wanted and nothing at all when I wanted. Met a lot of great people. Loved exploring Bermuda by myself. Did things I normally wouldn’t do if hubby was with me. I am sorry for your loss but I know you will be fine cruising alone. Have a blast!

• Like 2

Thanks, sounds like just what I’m hoping for.  Still nervous but excited too.  All these messages and tips really help.  Right now planning a big family reunion up north and busy getting the menu together for the restaurant dinner.  Should be so much fun but a relaxing cruise after so much family time will be much needed.

21 hours ago, BJs mom said:

I will go to the slot pull even though I'm not a gambler although sometimes I do play the penny slots.  There is a meet & greet and I definitely will go to that.  I do appreciate all the encouragement and hopefully by the time I get on the cruise the worst of the nerves will be ovet.

Even if the "nerves" are still there when you embark, visit the nearest bar and enjoy a glass of a good wine that you enjoy. 

Some cruise lines offer a complimentary glass of  wine upon boarding or placed in their stateroom.  While that is a "perk", it reminds me that I "am embarking on a new experience".  And, if I have been stressed prior to boarding--which has happened more than once--that glass of wine really does help whether it's a "perk" or a glass that I have purchased.

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

I think cruising is a great "solo" vacation, because you can always strike up a conversation at a meal, at a bar, waiting for a show to begin, sitting in the pool/hot tub, on an excursion, or whatever.

But if you want some peace and quiet, you can get it at any time as well.

I wish you calm seas and happiness on the first of what will hopefully be many more successful solo cruises to come!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back from a trip up north for a family reunion and now rethinking this cruise. One day I think I should cancel and the next no I really want to do this.  Maybe nerves but I think in the end I would be really disappointed if I cancel this trip.  Need to make a decision and get out of this funk.

• Like 1

I have faith in you.  You can do this.  If you do a little pre-planning and networking on the Roll Call for your cruise, you should already have some acquaintances before you board.  I have only cruised the Conquest twice but I like the ship.  I think you will too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 5:14 PM, NSnJW said:

I have faith in you.  You can do this.  If you do a little pre-planning and networking on the Roll Call for your cruise, you should already have some acquaintances before you board.  I have only cruised the Conquest twice but I like the ship.  I think you will too. 

Thanks, think most of it is just nerves,  barely got home and now expecting a tropical storm and all the hype is probably just working what's left of my calm down and cope mode.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 12:26 PM, BJs mom said:

Thanks so much, a lot of my friends and family think I'm crazy for doing this alone but I'm determined to start doing things on my own and not always wait to see what everybody else wants to do. I look at it as another adventure I wouldn't have if I don't just do it!!

I feel the same way!  My husband died 2 1/2 years ago and I decided to go Solo in Feb.  I just made the final payment.

2 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I feel the same way!  My husband died 2 1/2 years ago and I decided to go Solo in Feb.  I just made the final payment.

Good for you, for me it's a year since my husband died.  What ship are you sailing on?  I'm doing the Conquest in February.  Have sailed Carnival many times so decided to stick to something I'm familiar with and always enjoyed  my cruises with them.

• Like 1

I am going on Adventure of the Seas 8 night ABC cruise.  We used to dive but now I just snorkel.  I want to snorkel but none of my friends do and my family has to work and grandchild is in school and can't take off, so, I am alone.

We were married for 48 years and I miss him desperately.   He was my best friend too.

I am glad you are going too. 

Wish we could have been on the same cruise.

33 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I am going on Adventure of the Seas 8 night ABC cruise.  We used to dive but now I just snorkel.  I want to snorkel but none of my friends do and my family has to work and grandchild is in school and can't take off, so, I am alone.

We were married for 48 years and I miss him desperately.   He was my best friend too.

I am glad you are going too. 

Wish we could have been on the same cruise.

Me too but maybe someday we will.  Baby steps for me, going out to eat alone and now the biggest step of all, first solo cruise. Have to trust my journey, all new.

• Like 2

I lost my wife of 46 years just 3 years ago.  My whole life centered around her.  Now I have to make a new life.  Cruising, whether solo or with family, is one of the things we really enjoyed together.  Now I enjoy cruising and remembering the time we had together.  I also found I like cruising just for the sake of cruising and I hope to continue doing it in the future.

Eating alone is not the end of the world.   I have often eaten in the buffet alone just so I can get back to other things quicker.  I always find something to occupy me while I eat.  You can watch the sea or scenery go by or people watch.  Some of the ships had outdoor tables where you could eat and watch bands, dancing, or participation games.

In short, don't panic and just enjoy your cruise.

I hope you have great cruises ahead.

• Like 2