If you had $4,000 to spend

Peachypooh

18 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

Would you go on two cruises that cost $2,000 each (1,000pp) or one cruise that cost $4,000

(2,000 pp in a fancier cabin)if it was the same ship, length of cruise but probably different ports.

This would be a specific to NCL question as I am thinking of their less expensive cabins vs.

more expensive specifically the Jewell class ships.

Interesting question: I think I would choose one nice cruise over scraping the barrel and trying to squeeze out 2. If I had $5,000  I would go with 2 I think. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Shoo.. I would take 3 "Sailaway" insides instead...

But if you do sail away you will have a lot of extra charges so your $4000 won't go that far. I doubt anyone could sail 3 times even using Sailaway for $4000.Remember OP is talking about 2 per cabin, which means $2,000 each. 

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

But if you do sail away you will have a lot of extra charges so your $4000 won't go that far. I doubt anyone could sail 3 times even using Sailaway for $4000.Remember OP is talking about 2 per cabin, which means $2,000 each. 

I'm sure the OP factored in any extra costs and is just looking at cruise fare.  I do solo sailaway rates whenever possible, and have very little extra charges.  I drink very little alcohol and rarely pay for drinks).  If I do get a perk I choose the internet package and may or may not upgrade to the unlimited for $50-$85 for a 7 nighter.

I could sail 4-6x for $4,000 (cruise fare and taxes/fees) if booking last minute sailaway rates.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

I guess I will answer my own question.We would probably go with one.  We spend

quite a bit of time in our cabin so there is  the question of some not having chairs or

couches too. But if we were decades younger and only used our cabin to sleep and shower I can

see that two cruises  would be a valid choice.

Sounds like the perfect choice for you!  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

I'm sure the OP factored in any extra costs and is just looking at cruise fare.  I do solo sailaway rates whenever possible, and have very little extra charges.  I drink very little alcohol and rarely pay for drinks).  If I do get a perk I choose the internet package and may or may not upgrade to the unlimited for $50-$85 for a 7 nighter.

I could sail 4-6x for $4,000 (cruise fare and taxes/fees) if booking last minute sailaway rates.

all those ifs> OP is not traveling solo btw. She is figuring 2 per cabin. No one can sail for 2 people 4 times a year on $4000. We all know that. For you, with no alcohol or almost none and no specialty dining cruising can be very inexpensive I was generalizing. Of course there are exceptions to rules all the time, but I think most are thinking the average cruiser Yes, she was looking at cruise costs only but when someone mentions "sale away" rates they have to factor in extra costs 

9 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

all those ifs> OP is not traveling solo btw. She is figuring 2 per cabin. No one can sail for 2 people 4 times a year on $4000. We all know that. For you, with no alcohol or almost none and no specialty dining cruising can be very inexpensive I was generalizing. Of course there are exceptions to rules all the time, but I think most are thinking the average cruiser Yes, she was looking at cruise costs only but when someone mentions "sale away" rates they have to factor in extra costs 

You've added a lot of if's yourself.  Extra costs could only amount to the gratuity/service charge for many.  Not everyone dines at the specialty restaurants or pays for drinks.  The OP was likely not talking about sailaway rates, so they likely have perks, but other posters mentioned it.

"We all know that" comment?  What are you, mimicking the president when he makes up "facts" then contends that it's common knowledge, when in fact it's a lie...

It's very easy for 2 to sail at least three times for under $4,000 if they are flexible.

Edited by Mike_DeA

I've done the "do it as cheaply as I can" vacations in the past.  Even done a couple of those on a cruise (solo cabins).  Did an "all-inclusive" resort package once, too.

At the end of the day, I do drink.  I do like to go on excursions.  I do like to try the specialty restaurants.  I do like nice cabins, with a balcony.  I do like to be coddled on a cruise.  Cruising is my favorite vacation type.

If I had to go a budget route on a vacation, I'd probably go on one of those driving expeditions within a 500 mile radius of where I live and do the "SEE ROCK CITY" type of vacations, staying in the "motel" type of places you find in the rural areas.

I live in OH.  When my children were young, we'd load them up in the car and drive to Gatlinburg, Virginia Beach, or one of those types of road trips.  Don't want to do that any more.

Cruising in a nice cabin is still a pretty good bargain compared to spending a week in downtown Chicago, or New York, or San Francisco.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

You've added a lot of if's yourself.  Extra costs could only amount to the gratuity/service charge for many.  Not everyone dines at the specialty restaurants or pays for drinks.  The OP was likely not talking about sailaway rates, so they likely have perks, but other posters mentioned it.

"We all know that" comment?  What are you, mimicking the president when he makes up "facts" then contends that it's common knowledge, when in fact it's a lie...

It's very easy for 2 to sail at least three times for under $4,000 if they are flexible.

"Flexible" limits many others. Self-employed and retired can be flexible. Others have to actually plan ahead, scheduling vacation time , working around school time, and fly/drive to a port.

Sure if you live within 2-3 hours of a port it makes it much easier. Taking a cruise every other year, We like the Specialty Dining, Drinks, etc. Internet we can live without, isn't that what vacation is for to unplug and relax?

5 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

"Flexible" limits many others. Self-employed and retired can be flexible. Others have to actually plan ahead, scheduling vacation time , working around school time, and fly/drive to a port.

Sure if you live within 2-3 hours of a port it makes it much easier. Taking a cruise every other year, We like the Specialty Dining, Drinks, etc. Internet we can live without, isn't that what vacation is for to unplug and relax?

I agree, and flexible can mean many things.  I have a job where I can take off with short notice at certain times of the year.

One point though, many people can't/don't unplug while on vacation for various reasons (work issues, keeping in touch with family, news junkies, and many more....). 

15 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

I guess I will answer my own question.We would probably go with one.  We spend

quite a bit of time in our cabin so there is  the question of some not having chairs or

couches too. But if we were decades younger and only used our cabin to sleep and shower I can

see that two cruises  would be a valid choice.

Like minds.

On vacation, no balcony, no go.  Either land or sea.

Nothing like a Bailey's on the balcony at the end of the day.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

I agree, and flexible can mean many things.  I have a job where I can take off with short notice at certain times of the year.

One point though, many people can't/don't unplug while on vacation for various reasons (work issues, keeping in touch with family, news junkies, and many more....). 

Agree about family to an extent, when we sail it's Only in an "Emergency" should we try to be contacted. And that can be done without internet.

The work issues is what really gets me. If a business can't survive a week with someone then don't give them vacation time. A business that has good/trusted employees shouldn't expect  someone to work . A vacation is exactly that recharge from work, not keep working.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Agree about family to an extent, when we sail it's Only in an "Emergency" should we try to be contacted. And that can be done without internet.

The work issues is what really gets me. If a business can't survive a week with someone then don't give them vacation time. A business that has good/trusted employees shouldn't expect  someone to work . A vacation is exactly that recharge from work, not keep working.

Everyone's circumstances are different.  Family and work.  Some positions require more than others.  Some people have to be there for their clients. Self-employed have their own issues.  It's not black and white in today's world.

I remember the first time I booked a balcony for hubby and me. He thought I had lost my mind; now if we go window only he thinks I have lost my mind. We do it both ways and have even done inside a few times. For us, it is more itinerary, ship activities etc. Our last 2 cruises have been window only. Our next one is balcony. This will most likely be our last cruise. Age, mobility and of course budget has all taken its toll. It is hard to give up our hobby but we will continue to enjoy life and find new interests or short trips without the cost and without the hassle of getting to the port. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I remember the first time I booked a balcony for hubby and me. He thought I had lost my mind; now if we go window only he thinks I have lost my mind. We do it both ways and have even done inside a few times. For us, it is more itinerary, ship activities etc. Our last 2 cruises have been window only. Our next one is balcony. This will most likely be our last cruise. Age, mobility and of course budget has all taken its toll. It is hard to give up our hobby but we will continue to enjoy life and find new interests or short trips without the cost and without the hassle of getting to the port. 

NMN - if this is truly your final cruise - Enjoy it to the Fullest! 

Even if you are not sure it's your final cruise...  Enjoy it to the Fullest!

Cheers & Happy Cruising

🛳️     🚢     🛳️     🚢     🛳️

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 9:51 AM, Mike_DeA said:

I agree with Mike. I've gotten great bargains, living in NY and able to sail on a moments notice. I've paid just a few hundred for many cruises. 

All I can say is there is practically no way I could get on a cruise with at LEAST a balcony cabin in some way.  I want to SEE, SMELL. and FEEL the ocean at will.  I want to walk out on MY balcony whenever I choose!  How can one beat breakfast on your balcony?  I'd have to do whatever it takes to cruise twice and have two balconies or above.  I might have to eat Romain noodles for a while, but that's what I'd do.

1 hour ago, chill6x6 said:

All I can say is there is practically no way I could get on a cruise with at LEAST a balcony cabin in some way.  I want to SEE, SMELL. and FEEL the ocean at will.  I want to walk out on MY balcony whenever I choose!  How can one beat breakfast on your balcony?  I'd have to do whatever it takes to cruise twice and have two balconies or above.  I might have to eat Romain noodles for a while, but that's what I'd do.

When we became empty nesters and wanted to resume cruising I checked the Pearl to Alaska in the lowest cost cabin I would feel comfortable in (it did include a balcony) and then priced airfare. Didn't have the money. So I told my husband that I would start clipping grocery coupons again and put what I saved aside in an envelope for our Cruise fund. It took over two years but I made my goal. So I know what you are saying.

I never stay in a hotel room with no windows so an inside cabin is out for me. I tried an ocean view once and hated it so my minimum is a balcony cabin. So I'd probably take one $3,000 cruise and put the extra $1,000 into the stock market. Then, next year I could take two $4,000 cruises!😃

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I never stay in a hotel room with no windows so an inside cabin is out for me. I tried an ocean view once and hated it so my minimum is a balcony cabin. So I'd probably take one $3,000 cruise and put the extra $1,000 into the stock market. Then, next year I could take two $4,000 cruises!😃

Good thinking! Investing can pay dividends and gains further down the road and cover a whole cruise.

I think it'd depend on the itinerary.   The mediterranean where you arrive at 7am and leave at 6pm virtually every day and the tours are returning at 5pm...yeah, inside is fine because you're really spending most of the time off the ship.  

I admit that I went to alaska in a balcony and I'm spoiled.  I also chose to do half day tours, so after wandering around, I was on the ship for awhile, enjoying the room.   I also was enjoying looking out in the evening at the whales and dolphins and the shoreline.

I also think it depends on whether you enjoy spending time in the room ( which I do) vs really being out at activities on the ship etc.  I don't like crowds and having my own space without the crowds is nice, particularly if there is a "scenic cruising day" like Alaska.