Cruise Critic Community
Peachypooh

If you had $4,000 to spend

After having done an inside cabin with the wife a couple of times, I think we’ve decided that we won’t go anything less than balcony anymore. We’re the kind of people that like to be able to retreat from the crowds occasionally though, spend some time by ourselves. 

Of of course we also only do one cruise a year. We only get so much vacation time, and we like to do other traveling as well. 

Definitely one.  When we vacation, we do it right.  I’d rather have one spectacular vacation than two meh ones.  Don’t choose quantity over quality.

2 hours ago, Shidah said:

Definitely one.  When we vacation, we do it right.  I’d rather have one spectacular vacation than two meh ones.  Don’t choose quantity over quality.

My feeling, too!

I’ve made the mistake of vacationing with friends.  There was always the one person or couple that tried to cheap out in transportation, or hotel, or food/restaurants, etc.  They wanted to be as tight on their vacation as they lived their lives....to the point where every penny was more important than enjoying themselves.

I’m cruising.  I want to wake up with a cup of coffee in my hand while I’m sitting on my balcony.  Same with having a nightcap before bed.

I know I can cruise in an inside, SAILAWAY rate.  I prefer not to.  I know the way I cruise costs more.  I don’t cruise cheap.  I do cruise at high value, though.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:22 PM, Von & John said:

NMN - if this is truly your final cruise - Enjoy it to the Fullest! 

Even if you are not sure it's your final cruise...  Enjoy it to the Fullest!

Cheers & Happy Cruising

🛳️     🚢     🛳️     🚢     🛳️

Yes it truly is our final cruise. Well nothing is ever for sure final except death, but at this time we do not intend on any more cruises. It is a part of our lives that will be put behind us with mostly positive memories. Thanks for the good wishes. 

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

My feeling, too!

I’ve made the mistake of vacationing with friends.  There was always the one person or couple that tried to cheap out in transportation, or hotel, or food/restaurants, etc.  They wanted to be as tight on their vacation as they lived their lives....to the point where every penny was more important than enjoying themselves.

I’m cruising.  I want to wake up with a cup of coffee in my hand while I’m sitting on my balcony.  Same with having a nightcap before bed.

I know I can cruise in an inside, SAILAWAY rate.  I prefer not to.  I know the way I cruise costs more.  I don’t cruise cheap.  I do cruise at high value, though.

You are right it is so important to cruise with people who are similar in what they like to spend on vacation. It can make for some awkward compromises and then neither party is happy. I know of several couples who came home upset that they felt that they would have been better off traveling by themselves. This was both those who like to travel inexpensively and those who would have liked a more upscale experience but felt they had to fall in line with their traveling companions.We also like to get good value for our vacation dollar and this does not translate all the time into what is the cheapest. I divide our friends/family in this way. (land vacation)1.Those who like on vacation to go to a food store and make sandwiches in their room 2. The taco bell McDonald crowd 3. The chain restaurant crowd ( Outback) and the upscale crowd. We are in the chain restaurant crowd with one or two upscale meals like Anthony at the Pier in Seattle. All choices are valid but make sure who you are traveling with is similar.

Edited by Peachypooh

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Yes it truly is our final cruise. Well nothing is ever for sure final except death, but at this time we do not intend on any more cruises. It is a part of our lives that will be put behind us with mostly positive memories. Thanks for the good wishes. 

I hope you'll stick around and post from time-to-time.  Always have enjoyed your posts.  

Found this interesting....

https://cruiseradio.net/hurricane-reveals-people-we-dont-want-to-cruise-with/

If I've ever been even a little like this, my apologies to everyone here.  I know I went a little off the rails with NCL during the whole Dorian fiasco.  But, I like to believe I'm a generally positive person who people would like to cruise with.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:44 AM, newmexicoNita said:

But if you do sail away you will have a lot of extra charges so your $4000 won't go that far. I doubt anyone could sail 3 times even using Sailaway for $4000.Remember OP is talking about 2 per cabin, which means $2,000 each. 

I add NO charges except service fees and. Cruise Next purchases   😀😀

I'm a balcony girl. I like to get up early and lean over the balcony rail to watch the dock crew tie up the ship as we head into port and the pilot board from his pilot boat. I like to have a drink and read while I listen to the ocean. But that's really as far as my needs go. I would never say never, but I'd rather not have an inside or an oceanview. And while it's each to his/her own, I'd never spend the upcharge for a Haven. 

13 hours ago, Shidah said:

I’m fortunate-   None of my cheap cruises have been “meh”.    

9 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I’m fortunate-   None of my cheap cruises have been “meh”.    

I'm with you BQ!

It's the rare person who prefers an inside to a balcony in general.

Overwhelmingly I think most of us would always choose a balcony.

But budgets sometimes preclude that. I too am an older person and every cruise my husband says will be our last

because we are retired and need to hold onto what we have.

But I keep booking insides at the best prices I can find. Even though I am retired I took on a part time job to

pay for our cruises. Which is a challenge as our cruise line of choice is Oceania.

But I book longer cruises. Sometimes if you can get a 10-14 day as cheaply as a 7 day last minute, even 2

months before the cruise as the cruise line is eager to dump cabins. I always get an inside and our last cruise,

because of our amazing TA, we were upgraded to an aft cabin.

Ultimately you'll choose what makes your heart sing but I always choose the path that can get me the most cruising.

Very best to you.

41 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

It's the rare person who prefers an inside to a balcony in general.

Overwhelmingly I think most of us would always choose a balcony.

But budgets sometimes preclude that. I too am an older person and every cruise my husband says will be our last

because we are retired and need to hold onto what we have.

But I keep booking insides at the best prices I can find. Even though I am retired I took on a part time job to

pay for our cruises. Which is a challenge as our cruise line of choice is Oceania.

But I book longer cruises. Sometimes if you can get a 10-14 day as cheaply as a 7 day last minute, even 2

months before the cruise as the cruise line is eager to dump cabins. I always get an inside and our last cruise,

because of our amazing TA, we were upgraded to an aft cabin.

Ultimately you'll choose what makes your heart sing but I always choose the path that can get me the most cruising.

Very best to you.

I happen to really like inside cabins.  I do get the- oh poor you- settled and can’t afford a balcony- better than nothing I suppose. 😩😀😀😀.      But don’t make the assumption that inside choices are due to budget-  not related- being 2 separate components.   I’m leaving for cruise # 17 - this year,  tomorrow-  so Not always the case.  

8 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I happen to really like inside cabins.  I do get the- oh poor you- settled and can’t afford a balcony- better than nothing I suppose. 😩😀😀😀.      But don’t make the assumption that inside choices are due to budget-  not related- being 2 separate components.   I’m leaving for cruise # 17 - this year,  tomorrow-  so Not always the case.  

I’m like you!

Most of our 28 cruises, have been inside GTY’s.

Not much to see @ sea after dark anyways.

20 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

9 minutes ago, biker@sea said:

I’m like you!

Most of our 28 cruises, have been inside GTY’s.

Not much to see @ sea after dark anyways.

I was mistaken. There are many who prefer insides.