Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
richbum

Shopping talk

So this isn't something that I really care to go to...but I know my 8 year old granddaughter would like to get the free charms/bracelet at Diamond International.....so how long is the shopping talk that we have to go to? How much is the coupon book and what else is included in the coupon book? Is it worth it?

Thanks a bunch!

I'm not 100% sure, but if it's just the charms you're after, I dont think you have to go to the talk.  Most ports, they'll hand you a shopping guide as you're getting off, and it'll include the free charm ad.  And also, some diamonds internationals don't even check- you just ask for your free charm and they hand it to you.  At least, that has been my experience in picking up the charms for others I've sailed with.  I'm not that invested in it, so I'd never go to the shopping talk 

9 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

I'm not 100% sure, but if it's just the charms you're after, I dont think you have to go to the talk.  Most ports, they'll hand you a shopping guide as you're getting off, and it'll include the free charm ad.  And also, some diamonds internationals don't even check- you just ask for your free charm and they hand it to you.  At least, that has been my experience in picking up the charms for others I've sailed with.  I'm not that invested in it, so I'd never go to the shopping talk 

Ok thank you...I thought I read you had to buy a coupon book available at the shopping talk...if I don't...YAY me!

The coupon book is $25(?) and valid until some date.  It can be used on later cruises. I looked at one once.  I didn't think it was worth it. I think the talk lasts for about an hour. They do give away free stuff during the talk.

I only go to the fun ashore and fun aboard talk that is always right before the shopping talk.  They give away free excursions, internet plans, and other stuff.  The shopping talk always puts me to sleep.  I stick around long enough to get the maps, and then I'm gone.

Edited by Tiger0613

My kids have collected most of the charms from DI. YOU DO NOT have to buy or get any coupon. At the port you are in - walk into their store you ask them. They have a basket in which they have hundreds of charms and bracelets. They will hand you the charm and if you need a bracelet. I have spent good money in DI over my cruise career, but I will say that you have to know your prices as they are not always cheaper than prices you find in the mall even with taxes. Know what you are looking for there and know your prices. Also the cruise shopper is working with or for them so they will push you to buy if you show interest. They are a reputable business but they are there to make money off impulse buyers.

As for the books you are talking about - I think these are a separate scam. My son once went tot he talk and got 2 of them thinking they were free. they has coupons of all the crap they give anyways or coupons you can get at the port.  I went back to return them and was told they are non refundable and that they were $25 a piece. I told the shopper that my son has no charging on his card and he can take them back or get nothing for them. Don't waste your money on this - spend the $25 on build-a-bear for your granddaughter on the ship and both you and her will be much happier.

Ok...sounds like I don't have to go! Thank you all so much...my granddaughter will be super excited...

I've seen the coupons on a display rack near the future cruise desk.

5 hours ago, purplephenom said:

Don't worry, your lanyard, clothes and camera make you dead giveaway. People will be crawling over you at most ports, a polite no thank works

Don't go for the book, but do go to the shop talk, sit with her towards the front row. And make lots of noise or do the weird stuff they ask for the free stuff they give out.  There's usually something from the Del Sol (changes color in the sun) shop they give away, jewelry, t-shirts, bags etc... 🙂 She'll like any of that stuff better than the crappy charms they give away for free. Plus you can get her a cuter piece of jewelry for a lot less, spend more time seeing nicer things than stopping in at all these jewelry shops that you (unless you like over priced jewelry) see in the malls and probably pass by anyway LOL

Edited by Ellusionz