Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ram1977

Princess Trivia Cheating - is this common?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

P.S. You can tell we don't cheat because sometimes we get a question we had on a previous cruise and we still can't get it right 🙂

 

I have that problem with the game where they give you a weird word and several different definitions and you have to choose the right definition. I've heard the same "definitions" used for different words and couldn't remember if the definition fit the current word or was for some other word. I did tell them they had misspelled one of the weird words one time though and they agreed that it was incorrect on the slide. They did have the correct definition though. (We tied for the win that time.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gretchendz said:

Wow..the number of replies here shows what a problem this has become.  We cruise often (not always, but usually Princess) and enjoy trivia very much.  We have seen much of the behavior reported here.  Like many of you, we like to play for the fun of it, not the coasters.

 

I have heard rumor of websites where people track the Princess trivia questions and answers. I have not looked to see if it's true because I don't want to know. 

 

I wish the cruise staff running trivia would do a few simple things to help reduce this because it does ruin the fun for everyone else.

 

1) Announce at the start of each session that cheating won't be tolerated and that if anyone sees someone else using a book or device to cheat--they should report it.  The crew may not like actually enforcing it, but perhaps the announcement would at least reduce the blatant cheating. They can do it humorously by talking about the crummy prizes.

 

2) There are zillions of sources of trivia questions--find some new ones cruise directors :) Lots of new ones.

 

3) On a recent Cunard cruise, they announced sternly at the start of each session--"No arguing, we are always right."  People accepted it. In fact, on two different nights the same question came up and two different crew gave two different answers :) Folks were a bit miffed but laughed and accepted it.

 

4) I like to think if there was someone blatantly cheating (like with the book) I would have a conversation with the offenders. And, if that failed, bring it to the attention of the crew.

 

P.S. You can tell we don't cheat because sometimes we get a question we had on a previous cruise and we still can't get it right :)

 

 

I particularly like #1

 

And also, if someone is caught cheating then they should have their photo taken with a sign around their neck saying 'I cheated at Trivia". Just like people do when they photo shame their pets! The photo should be put on the wall at the trivia venue until the end of the cruise 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or they can make them do the chicken dance like they do if you call a false bingo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

announce at the start that if anyone plans on cheating to just come on down , pick out a "prize" ... then leave ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, voljeep said:

announce at the start that if anyone plans on cheating to just come on down , pick out a "prize" ... then leave ...

Love this so much!!  And they are banded from trivia the rest of the cruise!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voljeep said:

announce at the start that if anyone plans on cheating to just come on down , pick out a "prize" ... then leave ...

Considering the value of the prizes that's a great idea & the ones who play for real would be satisfied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this is the same couple I met on the Emerald in the Baltic about 3 years ago. At first I just thought they were well read and then I was speaking with another lady who had played with them a couple of times and she told me that the couple saved all of the old ones to study them so they can win. And let me tell you, if they got one wrong, they were pi$$ed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

I wonder if this is the same couple I met on the Emerald in the Baltic about 3 years ago. At first I just thought they were well read and then I was speaking with another lady who had played with them a couple of times and she told me that the couple saved all of the old ones to study them so they can win. And let me tell you, if they got one wrong, they were pi$$ed.

That isn't cheating. Cheating would be consulting the sheets during the game if the rules forbid written materials.

 

The talk of Houston having a problem reminds me of a question that someone live-blogged on a HAL cruise that caused a lot of angst, "Who said 'Houston, we have a problem?'" I forget which astronaut they had as answer, likely either Swigert or Lovell, but neither ever said exactly that, so it would have to be "Tom Hanks".

 

Really, it's incumbent on the cruise line to come up with original questions if they want to stop complaints.

Edited by Wehwalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, voljeep said:

announce at the start that if anyone plans on cheating to just come on down , pick out a "prize" ... then leave ...

 

Hilarious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

That isn't cheating. Cheating would be consulting the sheets during the game if the rules forbid written material

 

 

I agree that keeping old trivia sheets and learning / remembering the answers isn't cheating. However, if you're saying that it's ok to look at a "binder" full of old answers during a trivia is ok, if the person running the quiz didn't specifically state that written material is not allowed - then I'm affraid you're part of the problem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mjmalino said:

I wonder if this is the same couple I met on the Emerald in the Baltic about 3 years ago. At first I just thought they were well read and then I was speaking with another lady who had played with them a couple of times and she told me that the couple saved all of the old ones to study them so they can win. And let me tell you, if they got one wrong, they were pi$$ed.

 

Actually, I don't care at all if they saved the old questions and answers and studied them. I do care if they pull them out during the trivia session. Studying is not a problem for me. Cheating is totally different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ram1977 said:

 

 

I agree that keeping old trivia sheets and learning / remembering the answers isn't cheating. However, if you're saying that it's ok to look at a "binder" full of old answers during a trivia is ok, if the person running the quiz didn't specifically state that written material is not allowed - then I'm affraid you're part of the problem!

No, I'm not saying that. Just being lawyerly. Such use would probably cause the person giving the quiz to make it clear such is not allowed.

Edited by Wehwalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not replying to anyone in particular, but the length of this thread, and the emotions, is evidence of how seriously people take trivia even though there is nothing at stake. The problem is Princess, and other cruise lines, thinking that if they downplay it and make the prizes cheap people will cease to take it seriously. In my experience, this is not the case. People get hyped over trivia. There are online services that will write them, say, two rounds a day they can send to every ship, at a modest cost. I would rather play on questions clean to everyone than have it be who can memorize past questions the best. The fact that it sometimes becomes that is the cruise line's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

Not replying to anyone in particular, but the length of this thread, and the emotions, is evidence of how seriously people take trivia even though there is nothing at stake. The problem is Princess, and other cruise lines, thinking that if they downplay it and make the prizes cheap people will cease to take it seriously. In my experience, this is not the case. People get hyped over trivia. There are online services that will write them, say, two rounds a day they can send to every ship, at a modest cost. I would rather play on questions clean to everyone than have it be who can memorize past questions the best. The fact that it sometimes becomes that is the cruise line's fault.

Agree.  I started following this thread some when it opened up just to see what people were reporting and now it has grown to a surprising number of posts.  When I have gone, it is just been fun to pass some time and see how many we can answer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Not replying to anyone in particular, but the length of this thread, and the emotions, is evidence of how seriously people take trivia even though there is nothing at stake. The problem is Princess, and other cruise lines, thinking that if they downplay it and make the prizes cheap people will cease to take it seriously. In my experience, this is not the case. People get hyped over trivia. There are online services that will write them, say, two rounds a day they can send to every ship, at a modest cost. I would rather play on questions clean to everyone than have it be who can memorize past questions the best. The fact that it sometimes becomes that is the cruise line's fault.

I respectfully disagree and also agree with some of what you said. 

 

Disagree: It is the passengers fault for taking what is supposed to be a fun way of meeting people and making it ugly.  Princess passengers are the worst of all the cruise lines I have been on.  On NCL it is competitive, but I have not seen it to the point of people yelling at the host(over 100+ sea days on both).  We are all adults and should act that way.  I think that is the point.  If you were being recorded(heaven only knows with the medallion now, haha), would you want the way you act at trivia to be seen by the world?  If so, then you are probably acting like an adult, if not...............you are acting like a child.

 

 

Agree:  It would be easy enough to get new questions, but I think there would still be arguments.  Eventually, the trivia will be conducted by a computer, and that is what they are trying out with the medallion now.  So, I guess it would prevent the yelling at the staff problem, but how fun would that be?   I feel sorry for the staff who are yelled at, cussed at and questioned every trivia.  On the last cruise the asst cruise director running progressive trivia announced how hateful he had been treated and if it were to be repeated, he would deduct 100 points from the trivia team who had done that.  He said, "would you like your grandson to be treated that way" I think it stopped.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Level six said:

I respectfully disagree and also agree with some of what you said. 

 

Disagree: It is the passengers fault for taking what is supposed to be a fun way of meeting people and making it ugly.  Princess passengers are the worst of all the cruise lines I have been on.  On NCL it is competitive, but I have not seen it to the point of people yelling at the host(over 100+ sea days on both).  We are all adults and should act that way.  I think that is the point.  If you were being recorded(heaven only knows with the medallion now, haha), would you want the way you act at trivia to be seen by the world?  If so, then you are probably acting like an adult, if not...............you are acting like a child.

  

I appreciate the thought. Yet I would caution against using such terms as "you" in this context, lest it be thought you are directly replying to someone and personalizing the matter. May I suggest "one" or similar, lest you be misunderstood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re number one, we’re number one!!

 

 

Question: Which cruise line has the best trivia fights?

 

Answer: Princess

 

Now this answer should cause an uproar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

I appreciate the thought. Yet I would caution against using such terms as "you" in this context, lest it be thought you are directly replying to someone and personalizing the matter. May I suggest "one" or similar, lest you be misunderstood.

Point taken, not intended toward any one person.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

We’re number one, we’re number one!!

 

 

Question: Which cruise line has the best trivia fights?

 

Answer: Princess

 

Now this answer should cause an uproar. 

Love it!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Level six said:

Point taken, not intended toward any one person.  

Much obliged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

TRIVIA -- Play for Fun & meeting new friends . Don't play & cheat  

I have been scrutinized in my previous cruises by several trivia pros just in order to be on their team!! I have personally seen several persons playing trivia with us using media in order to gain an advantage and I have also  reported it ... ASAP.  It's not about the dollar 2 ninety eight prizes..  IT"S.... ARE  YOU SMARTER AT THAT GIVEN TIME THAN US??  I have plenty of Princess trinkets if you need them....   but don't be a cheater..   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took the same cruise 2 years in a row, a few years back.  The CD told the same jokes, the game shows had the same questions, and the trivia had the same questions.  And this was a year apart.  Sad that it was like this, but we still loved the cruise.  I guess a bad day cruising beats a good day at work anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, Wehwalt said:

The talk of Houston having a problem reminds me of a question that someone live-blogged on a HAL cruise that caused a lot of angst, "Who said 'Houston, we have a problem?'" I forget which astronaut they had as answer, likely either Swigert or Lovell, but neither ever said exactly that, so it would have to be "Tom Hanks".

 

 

I read the transcript.  It took two people to say "Houston, ... problem"

 

 

Lunar Mission Pilot:  

Okay, Houston - -

Commander:

I believe we've had a problem here.

Commander:

Houston, we've had a problem. We've had a MAIN B BUS UNDERVOLT.

CAPCOM:  

Okay, stand by, 13. We're looking at the movie rights.

(for the humor impaired, the last sentence is not factually correct)

 

BTW, the general theme of this thread is certainly something that should be added the next time someone

asks "Why kind of people will I meet on my princess cruise?"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

 

I read the transcript.  It took two people to say "Houston, ... problem"

 

 

Lunar Mission Pilot:  


Okay, Houston - -

Commander:


I believe we've had a problem here.

Commander:


Houston, we've had a problem. We've had a MAIN B BUS UNDERVOLT.

CAPCOM:  


Okay, stand by, 13. We're looking at the movie rights.

(for the humor impaired, the last sentence is not factually correct)

 

BTW, the general theme of this thread is certainly something that should be added the next time someone

asks "Why kind of people will I meet on my princess cruise?"

 

 

Um, the first quote you attribute to "Commander" should be "Command Module Pilot", that is, Swigert, not Lovell. 

(What can I say? It's trivia!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...