Princess Trivia Cheating - is this common?

ram1977

On 9/28/2019 at 4:37 PM, coo359a2 said:

I'd take a Milky Way over any magnet or deck of cards if I could even win

I was thinking along the same lines. Winning one plastic coaster or a foam finger pales in comparison to a candy bar! Even though the Princess prizes are usually pathetic it still peeves me when they don't give any prize at all. I realize that may not make much sense since I usually wouldn't want the prize but... I once won a bottle of champagne that was actually drinkable! Actually I won one that was reasonable, one that was "passable" and one that we dumped down the sink after the first taste. I'm still surprise that the first one wasn't bad at all. (Not to be confused with good but not bad...) None of these were trivia wins though as I have yet to be a winner there.

Just got back from a week long cruise on HAL and played Trivia every night.  No prizes and no cheaters that we could see.  We had a great time playing.  They even had a Canadian Trivia which made my husband and I feel very loved and wanted lol.  We still did not answer all of them correctly!!!  Who knew that blueberries are our biggest food export!!!  All the teams were a lot of fun and we had a lot of laughs.

I stopped playing Trivia on Princess ships after an episode on a sailing between Hawaii and Tahiti. It was a b2b2b and prior to the start of the cruise I was monitoring posts here on CC - sure enough questions and answers were being posted. Even though we attended most of the Trivia events, it was obvious one team had all the answers and far too many key rings as a reward. 

We did play a few times on recent Celebrity cruises. The first was totally done using their APP and could be played anywhere on the ship - so much for meeting new people.

I still remember picking up the daily quiz on HAL [wow am I dating myself?], and together with DH, completing as many questions as we could, then running back to guest services to turn it in hoping the early return was successful. Once we won a HAL plastic ruler! 

Darcy

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

…..the answer would be wheat....

I just checked and Google agrees with you. I know that Canada does grow a lot of blueberries but that is apparently not the top food export. I have often wondered where Princess gets their trivia answers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cormike1 said:

Just got back from a week long cruise on HAL and played Trivia every night.  No prizes and no cheaters that we could see.  We had a great time playing.  They even had a Canadian Trivia which made my husband and I feel very loved and wanted lol.  We still did not answer all of them correctly!!!  Who knew that blueberries are our biggest food export!!!  All the teams were a lot of fun and we had a lot of laughs.

I agree, on our HA cruise we attended every trivia and people didn't cheat on HA, or on NCL that I have witnessed. AND, more importantly, they don't yell and argue with the staff over some silly question.  If you know the answer is right, just be happy with your wonderful knowledge, don't argue.   I think it is a Princess thing really. 

Edited by Level six
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, vampiress said:

how weird.  no i have never seen that.  i wonder what enjoyment they can possibly get out of it.  the whole point, at least for me, it thehead scratching thinking of answers and the bad jokes

Exactly!

• Like 1

I like to point out politely if the host has a wrong answer or an ambiguous question. But it's more for the hope that the host will change the question or rethink the possible right answers when using the quiz again. Today on the Crown, for instance, the question was, "What type of animals are marmosets?" It's not a question that has just one right answer. A lot of times they ask this type of question, they want a broad category for an answer: bird, fish, mammal, insect, for example. So we answered mammal even though one guy did say monkey. Other correct answers could be omnivores, vertebrates, or even platyrrhines. The host would only accept monkeys or primates. The other day it was a question about the distance of the moon from the earth. The host provided multiple choice: 384,400 km, 384,500 km, and 384,600. If the question had been the average distance, then only one of those is right. But during the moon's orbit around the earth, all three are correct at one time or another. 

One host on our current cruise has a propensity to ask more poorly worded questions (also grammatically incorrect ones). I don't point out the grammatical mistakes, but it would be nice if the cruise director's staff would have each other look at the quizzes before bringing them out to the public. 

Edited by geoherb

So, I'm late to the party, but on my Panama Canal cruise this past April a trivia team calling themselves "The Island Hoppers" not only did the same thing, but they also resorted to pulling out their phones on the last few days AND accused other teams of cheating.  On my Hawaii cruise, one team kept winning but my team kicked their ass on the very last trivia of the cruise. We had an advantage in that my sister and I knew the last dozen or so name that tune questions that were from the 90s/00s, and their team included the most travelled couple on the ship (so, skewing older).  That was the sweetest victory ever. 

The thing in common? These people tend to not only be sore losers, they're cocky winners who suck the life out of every trivia by taking themselves so seriously. (My opinion, like noses, etc.) I also do competitive online trivia, but cheez-its people! it's bilge water champagne and cheap coasters you're playing for! This ain't Jeopardy! tournaments here! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm still planning on going to two trivias today on the my last day on the Crown Princess even though I know my team will probably not win. I still enjoy spending time with others and testing my own ability to recall trivia. We don't have a chance against the ones I call professional trivia players, who have been on the ship for over a month.

It doesn't seem to me to be that hard to come up with new questions. I'm sure someone could let the entertainment director and cruise director know the length of time people have booked a particular ship so that they know to tell their staff members to come up with unique quizzes. Obviously 20 per host is not enough when people are staying on board for months at a time.

Funny my biggest problem with Trivia is the person not able to read the question due to poor English skills or not being able to understand them due to accent.  We usually just compete between the two of us to see who can get the most questions.  Sometimes we don't arrive early enough to join a team and just answer the questions between us.

10 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Funny thing is that they permit people to use notebooks, phones, tablets, etc.

If it weren't allowed to do it they would say so. 

If the crew doesn't call them on it, it's means it's OK.

I've only played Trivia once or twice but I think I'll go now just to watch the crowd for the entertainment value alone. 

If the crew doesn't say anything, except maybe at the start of the trivia...maybe they are hoping some of the other players will call them out?   A few years back a crew member called out a team for using their iPad. They started yelling and reported the crew member and HE got in trouble!  Can you believe it?
The fact that some of teams are on B2B2B2B cruises is not a problem to me if they can remember answers but not if they write them down and use their notebooks.  Just like when we were all in school we can study our notes BEFORE the test, but you can't bring your "cheat sheets" TO the test.  
It's a matter of maturity and integrity.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 4

On 10/3/2019 at 11:44 AM, cormike1 said:

I would have guessed maple syrup.  I wonder if it was by volume or weight?  (Thinking quickly, I did not think about wheat).

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, steelers36 said:

Unless you were just joking, not much Canadian beer is exported.

Yeah I was.  But that was the point of the remark.  I have found that Canadians are quite capable of consuming large quantities of their fine product.

I think that at most of the trivia games we have played, the CD staff member working the game  always starts out by saying that laptops, phones, ipads etc are not to be used.  The internet is so slow that it is not worth wasting your wi-fi minutes to win such cheap ship prizes.  They also mention not to use non electronics devices and only 6 per team.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Funny thing is that they permit people to use notebooks, phones, tablets, etc.

If it weren't allowed to do it they would say so. 

If the crew doesn't call them on it, it's means it's OK.

I've only played Trivia once or twice but I think I'll go now just to watch the crowd for the entertainment value alone. 

No. It's not OK to use notebooks, phones, tablets, etc. It is cheating. I haven't seen them actively cheating by using notes. I'm always seated away from them. Perhaps Griller's photo was taken after they had passed their paper to another team for scoring. But to me, people should recuse themselves in trivia if they have the same quiz they had on the same ship just a few weeks before. One host even asked if the quiz was a repeat from the previous cruise since he realized so many people were doing the back-to-back cruises. No one spoke up. And on a hard quiz, their getting a perfect score was suspect.