GREECE USING MOBILITY SCOOTER

1threadshort

Athens is fairly accessible. When they hosted the Special Olympics, they up-graded many things. I do not know if the elevator for the Acropolis is working or not. It has been a few years since we were there. We took a taxi form the cruise ship into town and visited a number of sights. Then we took the metro back to the harbor. There was a ramp in the first metro car however, we made a running leap into another car before we knew about the ramp and the people assisted us. .

If there are specific places you wish to see, I'd suggest writing (email) to them and ask about accessibility. There has been numerous modifications through out Europe. Over the years I have written to various city Visitors or Tourist offices of a city and they have been very helpful.

Have a wonderful trip,

Betty

I have been to Athens, Corinth, Mykinos,, Patmos, and Santorini. Athens is the easiest. Since the paralympics were held there it has several areas which have been retrofitted for access. We did have a bit of trouble at the Acropolis. The elevator was working when we were there but to get to the elevator was not easy as the stair lift was broken. It is probably 8 to 10 steps before the elevator. Other areas, especially the national museum and the acropolis museum were easily accessible and both were wonderful. The Islands were more of a challenge. It required a tender to get to Santorini. There was a separate access area to avoid the cable cars IF you could transfer into a tender. Taxis and buses could get to the special access area. At Mykinos we docked which is easier. However I could not manage a tour to Delos for the ruins. Corinth, a city outside of Athens had reasonable access but is not totally barrier free. Another island we went to was Patmos but I don't remember much about the access there.

Edited by katisdale