WiFi on board

LynnTTT

We're taking a world cruise in January on the Deliziosa.  Costa is currently offering three plans for wifi on board, but it's all based on GB and the biggest plan is 3GB for about 200 Euro.

In a phone call, the Costa contact said that there will probably be other choices once on board.

My question: haw fast is the internet on board Costa ships?  I know many people sign up and then say that most of the "minutes" are spent waiting to connect or waiting for web sites to open etc.  We hoped to be able to work on a blog, or email the kids or just keep involved with local issues back home and avoid spending all our port time sitting in a cafe trying to connect.

Any opinion is welcome.

Answer is simple: it depends. During day it is working very slow, during dinner/show time or in the night - better. Also structure of passengers is important - when average age is lower with many teens who are using social media almost 24h/day it is also working worse.

BTW: in mycosta.com service for my November cruise I see price for 3GB as 110 not 200 EUR. At the moment they have 4 plans: 250MB, 500 MB, 1GB and 3GB + social media plan. Plan 1GB is not available in mycosta.com - only onboard.

Edited by greg2014

Use the Wi-Fi in the terminals you will see the crew sitting there for most of your emails and contact. You will have time after any tour.

It is very slow while at sea & costs are high. Do make sure you are fully logged out, our friend purchased one package when on Magica by next morning lost the lot by not signing out.

I purchased the 500 MB package for my 22 day cruise this March and in fact only used about 400 MB. Logged out after each use. Used it for emails but mainly for whats app. Logged on off several times a day.

However people who were trying to download and send lots of photos were having difficulty.

We only get the social media package because whilst on the ship we only use FB, WhatsApp and twitter. In Europe we have roaming and a lot of other countries we have it as well. We are on two different providers for that reason. It is cheap and works fine.

Riana

On 9/14/2019 at 11:08 PM, alicat58 said:

We only get the social media package because whilst on the ship we only use FB, WhatsApp and twitter. In Europe we have roaming and a lot of other countries we have it as well. We are on two different providers for that reason. It is cheap and works fine.

Riana

I have a couple of questions.  On some lines it is cheaper (and you get bonus download limits) if you buy before you go. 

1. Is it cheaper to buy a costa package before we leave ?

2. If you have a social media package can  you still post photo's to facebook ?

Thanks - hubby will want the top package but I don't need it - I only use facebook.

Never bought it before we left.

Yes you can upload photos to FB.

We look at emails when we are ashore. I am on one package on mobile and hubby another. In Europe we are covered in all countries. If we are elsewhere either of us usually will have cover. I like to get away from emails and have no need to surf the net on holiday. He downloads lots of stuff to ipad but he does not need to be on line for that.

Riana

On the World cruise Costa has told me that we can purchase on board; they are not posting prices ahead of time.

We almost certainly will buy a package at some point, but I guess we'll mostly keep in touch  using terminals and coffee shops .  I was hoping to keep a blog and send it to family and friends, but I suspect I'd rather spend my time visiting the ports and not sitting in a portside Burger King!

On 9/14/2019 at 5:44 AM, greg2014 said:

BTW: in mycosta.com service for my November cruise I see price for 3GB as 110 not 200 EUR. At the moment they have 4 plans: 250MB, 500 MB, 1GB and 3GB + social media plan. Plan 1GB is not available in mycosta.com - only onboard.

Hi Greg  

We don't have the social media plan listed in mycosta.  Can you tell me how much it is ? Is it available onboard ?

I have just found screenshot from Costa Pacifica onboard service (Nov 2018) with prices for wifi. Social media package cost was 54 EUR/22 days. As Alicat58 wrote, all prices do not include 3 EUR register charge (paid only once).

It is also possible also to buy small package (f.e. 250 MB) and when you see that it is not enough - to upgrade it to bigger one - then you pay only price difference .

CostaPacifica_112018_internet_ceny.jpg

Edited by greg2014

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2019 at 7:02 AM, Janet&Carl said:

I have a couple of questions.  On some lines it is cheaper (and you get bonus download limits) if you buy before you go. 

1. Is it cheaper to buy a costa package before we leave ?

2. If you have a social media package can  you still post photo's to facebook ?

Thanks - hubby will want the top package but I don't need it - I only use facebook.

Sorry for bumping the thread but it might still help you;

1. It is cheaper to pre-book as you won't be charged the service charge (which gets added to anything you buy onboard)
2. Yes, it sometimes gets slow but I've managed to post and send pictures on facebook, instagram and whatsapp.