First time to Tortola, best to see VG or JVD

geovet

VG for a short visit to the Baths, either on your own or through the ship; Either way you will most likely experience a crowd there. But a unique experience...

Jost for a short beach bar experience on a nice beach, the Rebel Yell cat through the ship is the best option, book early if still available!

Read some of the hundreds of threads here on each option to see which, if either, interests you. Tortola is a beautiful island itself, and we’d enjoy a day at CGB or Brewers Bay, especially on a short port stop such as this...

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to see the Baths, which are beautiful, look up Ocean Magic Mitch private tours. We go out on a private boat with them every time we're on Tortola and they will meet you as early as you can get off the ship so you can beat the cruise ship crowds up to the Baths, then enjoy a few more stops like Cooper Island, Willy T and some great snorkeling at Caves and Indians. Always nice captains and clean boats, beers included.

Jost van Dyke is ALWAYS lovely. White white sand and no matter how many ships are in, that beach never feels "crowded" and the water is so clear! We have gone there with Mitch as well, the little kids LOVE that beach and we can have painkillers while they entertain themselves. Hammocks and plenty of palm trees donated to the beach after hurricane Irma.  I wish I were there now.

You can't go wrong with either spot...have fun!

Private charters are an excellent way to experience the BVI, very expensive for one family however. There are also shared, independent catamaran operators that offer excursions to the Baths, either directly from the boat or with a portage and taxi. They also offer some of  the best snorkeling with stops at Norman Island or the Indians, as well as a sail to Jost with a stop at Sandy Spit and perhaps Pirates Bight. 

Have you done more research on the options you asked about for your short time in port?

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to see the Baths, but my older, less coordinated and likely to stumble husband would not enjoy it.  I'm looking for a beach with guaranteed chairs for us on Tortola.  NCL beach excursions to Long Bay do not include chairs nor do they know if there are any for rent.  A call to their excursion desk was less than helpful.  

6 hours ago, Joan W said:

I'd love to see the Baths, but my older, less coordinated and likely to stumble husband would not enjoy it.  I'm looking for a beach with guaranteed chairs for us on Tortola.  NCL beach excursions to Long Bay do not include chairs nor do they know if there are any for rent.  A call to their excursion desk was less than helpful.  

You will certainly have options for lounges and umbrellas in Cane Garden Bay. That is the busiest beach, but it is a large bay and you aren’t packed in. I would suggest renting at Myett’s Garden Inn where Pusser’s Restaurant is located, that is probably the best spot still...

Just a comment on this thread topic (First time to Tortola, best to see VG or JVD) -

Since this is a cruise forum, the most popular areas and sights most recommended by the cruise director will receive many cruisers at once, that’s just the way it is with cruising and most port times.

That is the case for the Baths on VG, I’ve suggested many times that if you are lucky and have a longer port time you can avoid the rest of your fellow cruise mates and enjoy the Baths and other areas like Savannah Bay and Spring Bay more. But for most that isn’t an option because of shorter port times (8 hrs). So although the Baths are a unique experience - especially for first-time visitors - it’s just not as enjoyable when crowded. So that’s why I often recommend enjoying a nice beach on Tortola and seeing some of the island as it is the most beautiful IMHO. Many who experience Tortola return for a longer visit and can visit the Baths and other areas on quieter days and enjoy a more intimate experience.

Jost Van Dyke isn’t quite as bad if you are just sharing White Bay beach. White Bay has been  getting much more crowded over the last 15 years as more and more day trippers stop there on excursions from both the USVI and BVI. But most day visitors from cruise ships docked in Tortola arrive earlier so it’s probably not as bad. And you can enjoy the beach away from the congested Soggy $ if you don’t want that vibe. But if you enjoy just relaxing in the water or on the beach with drinks this is a good spot. We like listening to Foxy in Great Harbor when WB is crowded, we’ve been the only couple there more than once! CGB is much easier to get to and is a similar experience with several beach bars, but it’s not quite White Bay.

But as long as your expectations are realistic you will enjoy your day whatever you choose!