First Timer!! Tips, tricks, useful info?

JMazzi

1 hour ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

If you are enjoying your cruise, go to the CruiseNext desk and buy 2 certificates for future cruises.  You basically pay $125 for a $250 deposit voucher.  They are good for 4 years and are transferable (meaning they are pretty easy to sell for what you paid $125) online.

Is my understanding correct? I buy 2 certificates at $125 ea ($250) and that counts as $500 towards a future cruise up to 4 yrs. from time of purchase? and my e-doc seem to state that would also get me $250 on board credit (for current or future cruise?)?

If so, that seems too good to pass up!

5 hours ago, JMazzi said:

Hey everyone, first of all just wanted to say finding this site has been great. I found a lot of information regarding dining / beverage and travel!

But really I'm just looking for some little tips and tricks while aboard (or prior) to enhance the experience a little bit, and what to pack (obviously bathing suit, sunscreen, long pants for dinner) that might not be something a first time cruiser would know to bring (I saw a thread where someone mentioned straws LOL). 

Anyway, my girlfriend and I will be on the Norwegian Sky sailing out of Miami to the Bahamas on the 3rd of October, we are both super excited. We got the included beverage package for liquor and one free dinner (we chose Cagneys). Thanks in advance everyone! 

Remember that your cabin will not be ready to be occupied until early afternoon at best AND your luggage will probably not get deliverd until later in teh evening.  So pack a light carry on with bathing suits, medications, and necessicity items.

Make sure to join the sail away party up on the pool deck. It’s always a great way to see the port as you pull away, dance and drink. You will have to do a Muster drill and they will close all the bars so make sure you pay attention to your muster station and get there on time so you don’t get put on the naughty list. Go into the cruise knowing that the lines can be long getting on and off the ship. Just be patient and plan around that. I hope you have a wonderful vacation! I’m hooked for life on cruising! 

2 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

If you are enjoying your cruise, go to the CruiseNext desk and buy 2 certificates for future cruises.  You basically pay $125 for a $250 deposit voucher.  They are good for 4 years and are transferable (meaning they are pretty easy to sell for what you paid $125) online.

I'm new to NCL too and booked on Escape. Can you clarify further? If you're happy, can you buy one for each person in your cabin (including children) and have $1000 cruise credit for $500??

1 hour ago, BandBWCsmom said:

I'm new to NCL too and booked on Escape. Can you clarify further? If you're happy, can you buy one for each person in your cabin (including children) and have $1000 cruise credit for $500??

It is confusing the first time you buy.  You pay $250 for the first and get $100 OBC, which can be applied to the cost of the Cruise Next.  The second one you pay another $250 for, and get another $150 OBC (total $250 OBC) so it's the same as getting $500 of Cruise Next for $250 out of pocket.

A lot of people glaze over during the spiel.  And you have to follow some protocols when you use them like applying them at the time of booking, I believe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JMazzi said:

Hey everyone, first of all just wanted to say finding this site has been great. I found a lot of information regarding dining / beverage and travel!

But really I'm just looking for some little tips and tricks while aboard (or prior) to enhance the experience a little bit, and what to pack (obviously bathing suit, sunscreen, long pants for dinner) that might not be something a first time cruiser would know to bring (I saw a thread where someone mentioned straws LOL). 

Anyway, my girlfriend and I will be on the Norwegian Sky sailing out of Miami to the Bahamas on the 3rd of October, we are both super excited. We got the included beverage package for liquor and one free dinner (we chose Cagneys). Thanks in advance everyone! 

Feeling some information overload yet?  Make sure you join the roll call for this specific trip.  People actually on your cruise are there.

14 hours ago, Firepath said:

Is my understanding correct? I buy 2 certificates at $125 ea ($250) and that counts as $500 towards a future cruise up to 4 yrs. from time of purchase? and my e-doc seem to state that would also get me $250 on board credit (for current or future cruise?)?

If so, that seems too good to pass up!

Not exactly.   You buy two $500 certificates for $500 and they put $250 OBC on your account which if you dont buy anything else reduces your end of cruise total spend from $500 to $250.    Then when you book a future cruise, depending on type of room or current promotions you can apply them to that purchase for face value $250each and promo and room type determines if you can use one or two per cabin

12 hours ago, BandBWCsmom said:

You can buy as many as you like but on future bookings it is applied per cabin not per person and there are limits determined by cabin type and current promos

23 hours ago, rihannalexis said:

(...) There aren't a lot of plugs in staterooms, so a power block is definitely a good thing to have. Make sure it is not a surge protector or power strip.You can get power blocks on Amazon, if needed.

Not entirely accurate, and I don’t mean to nitpick but the distinction is very important.  

A power box is a power strip.  A power strip is not a surge protector.  

The most important thing to know is that a power strip/power box functions exactly the same as an extension cord that adds available inputs.  It just takes in the available power and divides it into more plug inputs.  That’s all it does.

THAT’S what you want to take with you.  Take two if you think it will serve better.  Your steward will tell you if you have too many plugs going at once (which can be a fire hazard in any setting).

A surge protector limits the power going through it in the event there is a surge (a surge from what is not important).

That is what you DO NOT want to take with you.  It creates a hazard for the entire ship’s electrictal circuit.

When you’re shopping at a brick and mortar you can tell by the weight if you’re not sure what you’re buying.  One, the power strip, contains a sparse collection of parts.  The other, the surge protector is heavier.  It is chock full of circuitry and bears tell tale words like “protected” or “suppression”.  And they typically cost twice as much as the power strip that might be in the bin right next to them.  Still not sure?   Ask.

93A6BDD7-3680-4CA3-9571-8218B476DEBD.jpeg

Edited by MotownVoice

1 hour ago, geovet said:

Can you use the obc from the CruiseNext to pay for your gratuities?

thanks

The OBC from CruiseNext effectively pays for half (if you buy two) of the CruiseNext purchase.  You pay for the certificates using your on-board account, which is charged the full amount, then by the end of the cruise the credit shows up, effectively canceling half of the purchase price.

2 hours ago, hallux said:

The OBC from CruiseNext effectively pays for half (if you buy two) of the CruiseNext purchase.  You pay for the certificates using your on-board account, which is charged the full amount, then by the end of the cruise the credit shows up, effectively canceling half of the purchase price.

Thanks for this explanation.  I've never bought the certificates and was getting confused.  Am considering buying them on cruise in few weeks.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

Thanks for this explanation.  I've never bought the certificates and was getting confused.  Am considering buying them on cruise in few weeks.

Also, you don't actually get a certificate.  You get an email after the cruise with your info on it.  It's not a document.

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Also, you don't actually get a certificate.  You get an email after the cruise with your info on it.  It's not a document.

They are good for 5 years and once I was missed the expiration date and I called NCL and it was extended! All was good!

If you like NCL and do the promo on the ship for your next cruise make sure to join the Latitudes Program, it is free and you earn points with each cruise and as you earn points you move up in levels of perks!

They have special deals monthly where members receive special discounts, I saved $1000 on my next cruise because of the August promo for Latitudes members

On 9/13/2019 at 12:05 PM, billslowsky said:

Just don't fill them directly from the dispenser.  They'll lecture you.  You need to fill a glass then pour it into your bottle. 

Tell me what type of bottle we should bring?  Just a regular plain empty water bottle?

Wash your hands frequently! And, never walk by a hand sanitizer without using it.

Take time to talk with the crew. They are so interesting. Fun to hear about their home countries.

On your final day, have breakfast in the dining room if the timing works for you. It is so much more relaxing than the buffet.

You will need your room key in hand to get off the ship. Don't leave it in the cabin (as you might in a hotel) or pack it as a souvenir. 

I'm not sure there is anything that beats the first time you get close to the ship. That "OMG, it's HUGE!" feeling. You will have so much fun. I hope this is the first of many cruises for you.

• Like 1

Bring some cash for tipping. If you find a favorite bartender, throw them $10 early on, so when they see you at a crowded bar later, they'll take care of you. 

Get an over the door hanging organizer. I use mine on the bathroom door and it keeps shoes, makeup, toiletries, accessories, etc off the floor and very limited counter space. 

Bring earplugs. I cruised from NYC in April and those New Yorkers were LOUD. I needed ear plugs to sleep. 

Bring multiple bathing suits. There's very little airflow in a cabin, so they take FOREVER to dry. I can't stand trying to put on a wet bathing suit. 

Bring magnet hooks to maximize storage in your room. The walls are metal so you can hang up clothes/accessories and keep them off the couch/floor. 

Bring dancing shoes. The club is usually raging well past one a.m. 

Pack aloe in case you burn. Otherwise it's very expensive in the shop. 

You can order doubles with your drink package, and you can order two drinks at a time. My go to was two double grey goose and cranberry. 

Bring straws. They're available at Dollar Tree. Drinking a mudslide with a paper straw is just dumb. 

Bring a white shirt or outfit because they do a fun glow/neon party on deck one of the nights.

Most importantly, have a great freaking time. 

On 9/14/2019 at 12:13 PM, MotownVoice said:

Not entirely accurate, and I don’t mean to nitpick but the distinction is very important.  

A power box is a power strip.  A power strip is not a surge protector.  

The most important thing to know is that a power strip/power box functions exactly the same as an extension cord that adds available inputs.  It just takes in the available power and divides it into more plug inputs.  That’s all it does.

THAT’S what you want to take with you.  Take two if you think it will serve better.  Your steward will tell you if you have too many plugs going at once (which can be a fire hazard in any setting).

A surge protector limits the power going through it in the event there is a surge (a surge from what is not important).

That is what you DO NOT want to take with you.  It creates a hazard for the entire ship’s electrictal circuit.

When you’re shopping at a brick and mortar you can tell by the weight if you’re not sure what you’re buying.  One, the power strip, contains a sparse collection of parts.  The other, the surge protector is heavier.  It is chock full of circuitry and bears tell tale words like “protected” or “suppression”.  And they typically cost twice as much as the power strip that might be in the bin right next to them.  Still not sure?   Ask.

93A6BDD7-3680-4CA3-9571-8218B476DEBD.jpeg

When I say power box, this is the type I am thinking of: https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Power-Strip-USB-Outlets/dp/B07BHVKPC3/ref=asc_df_B07BHVKPC3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241973970700&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10511679454801631334&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025389&hvtargid=pla-431025274938&psc=1. No power cord because I heard that Norwegian doesn't allow power cords, along with no surge protector.

@rihannalexis my understanding is that company hasn't always been truthful in advertising.  @chengkp75 can comment for sure if that device can be used.

Side note - I chuckle at the questions asking if it will work on certain ships of certain cruise lines.  If this is actually not surge-protected and the ship has a US outlet why would it NOT work?

Edited by hallux

32 minutes ago, rihannalexis said:

Assuming when you say "power cord" you are talking about extension cords, you are incorrect about that as well.  NCL does allow extension cords.  For example, people who use CPAP machines must bring extension cords because there are no plugs at the head of the bed as there are in hotels.  In fact if you forget one, NCL will provide one for you.  And I know you are permitted to bring one with you because I contacted them personally about this very thing and have their response in writing if you care to read it:

letter_NCL.jpg

46 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Assuming when you say "power cord" you are talking about extension cords, you are incorrect about that as well.  NCL does allow extension cords.  For example, people who use CPAP machines must bring extension cords because there are no plugs at the head of the bed as there are in hotels.  In fact if you forget one, NCL will provide one for you.  And I know you are permitted to bring one with you because I contacted them personally about this very thing and have their response in writing if you care to read it:

letter_NCL.jpg

Not saying you are incorrect. This was just the information I found online when researching what I could and could not bring on my upcoming cruise. I'm sure you know how information can be online.

Good to know that you can bring extension cords with you. Makes things easier, haha. Thanks for the updated info @MotownVoice.

I also bring a universal adapter with me.  Cabins have both US and European plugs, so you can convert the European one to work for your devices.  My adapter also has USB ports in it, so I don't need a separate one.  The remodeled ships have some USB ports already, but if you have multiple people with phones/tablets/smart watches then additional ports are helpful.  That gets me enough space that I don't need to pack bulkier cords.