Artists of Barcelona museum tour

zitsky

Did you try Trip Advisor for reviews or is this one offered by Viking?

Viking contracts its tours through a third party company. I can't remember the name; maybe by the morning it will come to me. When we were stuck in BCN for 10 days, they did all of the tours that Viking arranged for us. One of those tours was of the Picasso Museum and the Miro Foundation and one other whose name escapes me. We did not take it but those who did enjoyed it-- or at least the people we talked to enjoyed it. The same company handles the shuttle buses from the ship to the World Trade Center esplanade.

It is offered by Viking.  I am using a third party for city tour two days later  So I wanted a Viking tour that was different. 

What do you mean... you were stuck in Barcelona for 10 days?

Edited by zitsky

57 minutes ago, zitsky said:

It is offered by Viking.  I am using a third party for city tour two days later  So I wanted a Viking tour that was different. 

What do you mean... you were stuck in Barcelona for 10 days?

Well, the ship was stuck there but we had the "best worst-vacation-ever" in a 5-star luxury seaside resort while the ship underwent repairs.

Something different from Viking? Hmmm. what are your choices? We have done Picasso, Miro and Gaudi on our own but the tour is an interesting way to see a bit of all of them in a finite amount of time.

Another choice might be Monserrat. We have done Montserrat twice now. Once on our own taking the train and then the cog railway and once with Viking. IMHO, as soon as you arrive, ask the guide what time you have to be back on the bus and then bolt. If you want to, get in line to see the Virgen del Montserrat up close and personal. For many, this is a pilgrimage, so the line can be long and slow. Then go see the art museum. Over the years, the monks have been the recipients of many gift of fine art. We spent about an hour in there. The entrance fee is not included in the tour. OR, if it is operating, you can take the funicular up to the summit for some spectacular views and a bit of communing with nature. Moreover, it gets you out of the city and into the countryside and gives you an entirely different view of the city.

image.png.c83aded444929c5ab3696a15cc5a3b56.png

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Private tour is La Sagrada, Parc Guell, some Gaudi, some others I can't remember.  The boss has no interest in Montserrat. "No more churches!"  But he wants to see the Sistine Chapel.  Go figure.

So, skip the church part and focus on the art collection, the communing with nature, the magnificent views, the ride through the countryside, the funicular ride. It is actually rather a relaxing day before you embark on your post-cruise.

I just looked a the website. The Tour of the Palau de Musica plus one other building looks interesting, especially the privileged access. We did the tour of the Palau and loved it. Booked it on our own. Wish we could have gone to a concert there. And we have never done the interior of one of the Modernisme houses.

If you want to strike out on your own, we loved the MNAC (art museum) up on Montjuic. It took us two days to see all that we wanted to see there. The boss may prefer to skip the first floor which has the older works and thus is full of church art --and even a huge collection of bits and pieces of the very, very old now abandoned churches from abandoned villages that dot the Catalonian countryside. Upstairs is the more modern stuff with lots of Art Nouveau, etc. Miro Foundation is also on Montjuic as well as Olympic venues.  You can walk or take public transportation between them.

But there is a lot to see OYO.

I don't know the prices of the Viking tours because I am not booked for that itinerary, so I can only comment on content.

Palau de Musica is easily done on your own and even taking a cab from the ship will be cheaper than any thing offered by an organized tour --but you don't need a tourguide because the Palau has its own guides. It will not include the privileged access, though.  https://www.palaumusica.cat/en/all-guided-tours_531011.  Check out the concert schedule while you are at it.

Despite the boss's "No more churches" declaration, I highly recommend the Gaudi Sagrada Familia Cathedral. No, its not the Sistine Chapel but it is amazing, especially if you take the time to understand the history. 

We also did the Picasso Museum and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is located in the old section of Barcelona which is so interesting.