Cruise Critic Community

I will be going on a Mediterranean cruise in November  on the Jewel of the Seas..  I will sign up for the internet package with streaming.  Since I have to take a test online for one of my classes would I do better to use my surface pro tablet to take the test or should I go to the computer room- Are those computers wired in for a better signal or will my wireless signal but just as good.  

I am very worried about getting disconnected but there is little I can do but try to minimize the risk. Thank you for your help

1 hour ago, Fragile-Beauty said:

I will be going on a Mediterranean cruise in November  on the Jewel of the Seas..  I will sign up for the internet package with streaming.  Since I have to take a test online for one of my classes would I do better to use my surface pro tablet to take the test or should I go to the computer room- Are those computers wired in for a better signal or will my wireless signal but just as good.  

I am very worried about getting disconnected but there is little I can do but try to minimize the risk. Thank you for your help

I would use your own device and make sure you test it while at home.  You cannot depend on any kind of complicated program / website working on the ship's computers. 

The ship computers are locked down.  No or few plugins or software add ons that may be required for your test.

While wired may be faster within the confines of the ship, your Voom package will be limited to ~4Mbps regardless if wired or wireless.  Suggest you spend some time prior for finding a quiet spot on the ship with a good wifi signal.  If not your cabin, maybe the library? 

Many places have elevator music playing so it's hard to find a quiet spot if wifi is spotty in your cabin.   

Internet on the ship certainly has improved a lot over the years, but there are still times at sea without a Signal. So be prepared for Downtimes of Internet. 

I Need to get some work done sometimes on a cruise. It´s a couple Hours that allows me to get the time of, so a good deal to me. I frequently Experience bad times with being disconnected every few minutes. At other times it just works perfectly. It´s just a heads up to you, that you never know what you will Experience once OnBoard. I don´t know how time sensitive your Tests are.

I would never trust the ships wifi to be able to securely connect, stay connected and maintain the bandwidth for something as important as what you need.

I would look into taking my own mifi and taking the test while in port with good connection speed and bandwidth.

Also, trying to take this test in port at a free wifi location would not be ideal either. You're going to be competing against 100 other people for speed and bandwidth.

I have taken this with me twice while on a European cruise. Worked great everywhere I used it. It will not work while at sea on the ship. You must be able to connect to a land based cellular network.

https://www.skyroam.com/solis-x-new?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIupT-qdvQ5AIVxB6tBh1uswOrEAAYAyAAEgL9EPD_BwE

Edited by klfrodo

IF you are able to remotely access your computer, either through a VDI or Remote Terminal, you would be able to simply log into your workstation and do your test then log out and go on your way.

Windows has a built in one that might work for you. It is call "Microsoft Terminal Services Client" you will want ot make sure you have tested it both locally and remotely before you trust your test to it.

I have done this myself 12+ years ago when I took a trip to the Philippines and needed to do some things from the US. I would go to the internet cafe and connect to my home computer through the remote desktop and do what I needed. There were times it was SLOW and times I would get disconnected, but it did work.

You can also buy a Virtual Private Server that has this same functionality for a fairly reasonable price. Again, just make sure you know how it works and what it does and how to access it before you trust it. 

@Fragile-Beauty In addition to suggestions above, I would reach out to your professor/dean and let them know about your travel plans. Just reading your post makes me nervous. I also hope that you are prepared to be unable to complete the test and get a zero. While much of the advice given above should negate them, there is still a chance there will be issues.

Edited by JennyB1977