Back to back turnover in Haifa, Israel

forgap

Next year we will be on Voyager going from Venice to Athens.   This is a 24 day back to back cruise with a turnover in Haifa.   We booked excursions last night and, as expected, there are no excursions for the turnover day.  I called Regent and they said we will find out on board what options will be offered.   

Has anyone “been there, done that”?  What can we expect to be on the menu?   We have a total of 4 days in Israel and want to maximize our experience.   The last time we were on a cruise that stopped in Israel we did a Jewish-centric tour to Yad Vashem and old Jerusalem, then a shorter tour to Tel Aviv and Jaffa.  This time we are booked for Masada and the Dead Sea, Jerusalem & Bethlehem, and a more Christian -centric tour of Old Jerusalem.  

Any ideas, CC friends?  

Jennifer

Near Haifa, there are some cool ruins at Caesarea.  There is also Tiberius and the Sea of Galilee.  If you have Christian leanings, there are religious sites around the Sea of Galilee like at Capernaum and the church where Jesus reportedly did the Sermom on the Mount.  If this doesn't interest you, it's still nice to take a cruise out on the lake.

I went to both these places as part of a larger tour, so can't give specifics about day trips, but just to give you a couple places to think about.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rachel.  They are not listed yet.  Regent went down to the wire and posted our excursions just 8 hours before I could choose.  Fortunately, they did not deviate too much from those listed as an idea of what may be offered at the various ports.  

We were hoping that the stop in Alexandria, Egypt would include a trip to the pyramids in Cairo.  These were not listed in the faux choices but appeared in the emailed list. One was “free” and two other were choice excursions.  We opted for choice to the “Pyramids, Memphis, and Sakkara”.    We wanted to maximize our time and see many of the iconic sites.  All of these excursions are LONG!  We did see the Valley of the Kings and Luxor on a previous trip.  

Also, Rachel, I thought I had bookmarked your blog on the Croatian, Albanian, and Montenegro portion of your trip to this region but I can’t seem to find it.  Do you mind sending me the link?   We are booked for the Krka National Park and the Skadar Lake Cruise.  Also, Berat in Albania but this may become a “sea”day fo us. 

Thanks for your help!  

Jennifer

I think a trip to the pyramids inCairo would be an exceptionally long day.  I really don’t recommend it. Just too far, and exhausting.  It will be a VERY long day.

iam trying to find the link to my posts about the other portion of the trip.  It seems to have disappeared., but I highly recommend Krka National Park.  It is awesome.  The Skader Lake Cruise is good, and Berat is actually interesting in an Albanian sort of way.  You have to experience different things to appreciate your own life is what I tell George.

• Like 1

I know the pyramids will be a very long day.  Petra and Luxor were also long days but worth the very long bus ride in my opinion.  I doubt we will be back to this region so we plan to go for the gusto!  Thanks for your help, Rachel! 

9 hours ago, RachelG said:

I think a trip to the pyramids inCairo would be an exceptionally long day.  I really don’t recommend it. Just too far, and exhausting.  It will be a VERY long day.

24 minutes ago, forgap said:

I know the pyramids will be a very long day.  Petra and Luxor were also long days but worth the very long bus ride in my opinion.  I doubt we will be back to this region so we plan to go for the gusto!  Thanks for your help, Rachel! 

Sounds like the discussion we had with the Moscow trip from StP...first time we were there we didn’t go because it was such a long trip, even though both of us wanted to visit Moscow.  We regretted it for several years until we decided to go back.  The second time, we did the Moscow trip and loved it although it WAS exhausting.

I think you need to balance how badly you want to go against your own tolerance for long, exhausting days and how much other cool stuff there is to do closer to the port.  There’s no right or wrong answer, just what works best for you.

• Like 1

We were in Israel for three nights/two days on the World Cruise.  We booked a private car and guide for all three days.  We went to the places you want to go to.  We were picked up at the port on Day 1.  Toured Jerusalem and Bethlehem.  Driver dropped us at our hotel (we booked on our own).  He suggested an early start the next morning for Masada and Dead Sea.  We agreed.  Masada was empty.  We were on the first cable car.  Coming back down, all cable cars were packed with a long line to get on.  We met the Regent buses arriving as we were leaving.  After Dead Sea, we were dropped back at our hotel.  Pick up the next morning with visits to Galilee, Capernaum,, Jordan River.  We were dropped back at the port.

We missed the crowds and did not have that long transfer time.  Car and driver were right at $500 a person.  We felt it was money well spent.  Tour guide was Rhud.  Forget the name of the tour company.  I found them on cruise critic ports boards.  Very easy to use.  We booked onboard the ship two weeks prior to arrival.  Went to their website, filled out a form, heard back from them in less than 24 hours.  You can cancel 24 hours before arrival for a full refund.  If ship does not dock, you do not pay.

• Like 1

We spent our time in Israel as Hot Root did.  It worked out very well as we didn’t waste a great deal of time going back to the ship.  It also allowed us time in the evening enjoying Jerusalem  eating the food, wandering around and seeing some of the sites lit up at night.  Well worth it.

• Like 1

A few years ago we were on a Regent cruise which stayed overnight in Haifa. First day was exceptionally long with a visit to Jerusalem. 

I would certainly recommend any visit to the ruins at Caesarea, which we did the following morning. A good guide will bring the whole place to life. Additionally, in Haifa itself, and visible from the ship are the gardens around the Baha'i temple. These are shaped like cascading turtles and beautifully lit up at night. It is possible to walk the length of them from the top to the bottom, but beware of the steps!!! A trip may well combine both of these.

You will need to return reasonably early in the afternoon to be back for the muster drill, so a long day probably won't be practical.

I also recommend Caesarea.  But I suggest including (its not far) a visit to Akoo /Acre.  Acre is an ancient city with restored tunnels, very good restaurants, it overlooks the water from an old citadel, several good museums, an interesting history & strategic location dating back to & before the Crusaders' occupation.  .

Caesarea requires "oh I guess that's what it must have looked like" as an archaeological and historical venue of importance.  Acre is the real deal preserved as it once was, a living breathing small city with people zipping around like they did centuries ago. 

I found Acre fascinating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wristband said:

I also recommend Caesarea.  But I suggest including (its not far) a visit to Akoo /Acre.  Acre is an ancient city with restored tunnels, very good restaurants, it overlooks the water from an old citadel, several good museums, an interesting history & strategic location dating back to & before the Crusaders' occupation.  .

Caesarea requires "oh I guess that's what it must have looked like" as an archaeological and historical venue of importance.  Acre is the real deal preserved as it once was, a living breathing small city with people zipping around like they did centuries ago. 

I found Acre fascinating.

And the Arab section has the most amazing hummus restaurant in the world - Hummus Said.  Incredible food, and inexpensive.  I dream about going back just for the hummus...