Captains Circle: Elite Lounge Reception

MsSoCalCruiser

Things are now starting to appear under the  “Journey View” section of my ocean medallion app.   I’m just curious as to why would they schedule the elite lounge reception at the same time dinner begins? We have 5 PM dining so it looks like we will never be able to go to the captains circle reception? Is that the reception that has appetizers but you no longer get drink discounts?   I would like to go there at least once or twice to check it out but I hate being late for dinner;  I don't want to be rude.   If you’ve been on the royal princess lately, is this the correct time that they have listed or do you think it will be changed in the future? 

Thanks... Getting excited!

263F2DDE-55FD-4BB4-BDB1-DDFABDA8465F.jpeg

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

The cruises I've been on the Platinum Elite Suite lounge runs from 5 to 7 p.m. You can probably wrap up dinner by 6:30 sometimes and drop in at the end.

By the way, a few drinks are still discounted. It's just that they're $6.50 now instead of $5. There are something like 8 drinks to choose from.

Jim

• Like 1

Now that early traditional dining is at 5:00 pm, neither the Platinum/Elite/Suite reception or afternoon tea works for people with early dining.

Before they changed the times, we used to book early dining fairly often. For our next cruise, we have switched to late dining, because the new early dining times are too early for us and the new late dining times are not that late. I believe that's why Princess changed the times - so that some people would switch from the over-booked early dining to the under-booked late dining.

• Like 1

I've complained about this after every cruise.  Finally on the Ruby (April 20190), the cocktail hour was moved to 4:30.  It's a long walk from Skywalker's to the dining room.  Once on board, bring this to the attention of the Captain Circle Host AND Food and Beverage Manager.  

On other cruises, I've tried to go "after dinner", but they were closing up half an hour early.  No guacamole left.  

I've reduced my amount of time going to these "receptions".  I think that is what Princess actually desires.

• Like 2

The lounge has hardly ever worked for us since we eat early (we're Florida people 😅)

Having been there a couple of times they do sometimes have some decent items to nibble on but after dinner none of it looks appetizing. 

After we eat in the DR we're always on the way to the Show Lounge to get decent seats & by the time the show is over, the Elite lounge is finished for the evening. 

• Like 1

The PES lounge has been from 5 to 7 PM on every Princess ship I have been aboard.  We used to eat later and go to the lounge but now that we do the early TD we don't have time to go.  Since they have done away with the $5 chairman of the board drink, I have not missed going to the PES lounge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarolRoy said:

So no free drinks like on Celebrity or Royal during these times for elite, platinum?

Surely you jest?

IMO........compared to the $2.99 drinks that were once available and the drink choices, the new drink offerings and price are a joke. Nothing was ever free. 

• Like 1

My first experience this August on Coral Princess as an Elite guest:  I really enjoyed this.

Why?

#1.  It was held in the Library which was closed except for qualified guests.  The staff, with the exception of one evening, were the same.  While some safety equipment blocked the view, there was some good views depending upon where one sat.

#2:  None of the specially priced drinks appealed.  I could order what I wanted--at the usual price of course--and the Steward(ess) would go to Crooner's Bar to get whatever I wanted.  I had a bottle of a wine "saved at that Bar" and she was able to serve me from "my bottle" with no issues.

#3:  With the staff being regular, it was interesting to engage in conversation with them.

#4:  Rarely the "food item of the day" appealed to me, but there were always other items from which to choose along with a differing selection of cheese slices/cubes and veggie items and dips.

Being a late sitting diner, this amenity well worked for me and I did appreciate it very much!

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Now that early traditional dining is at 5:00 pm, neither the Platinum/Elite/Suite reception or afternoon tea works for people with early dining.

Is dinner really 5PM ? My last princess cruise said it was, but when on the ship, the actual dinner time was 5:30 or 5:45.  Have they actually gotten their act together?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lolane1 said:

Is dinner really 5PM ? My last princess cruise said it was, but when on the ship, the actual dinner time was 5:30 or 5:45.  Have they actually gotten their act together?

We were on the Sapphire in June and early TD was 5:30.  I don't know where they are doing the 5:00 dinner.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Things are now starting to appear under the  “Journey View” section of my ocean medallion app.   I’m just curious as to why would they schedule the elite lounge reception at the same time dinner begins? We have 5 PM dining so it looks like we will never be able to go to the captains circle reception? Is that the reception that has appetizers but you no longer get drink discounts?   I would like to go there at least once or twice to check it out but I hate being late for dinner;  I don't want to be rude.   If you’ve been on the royal princess lately, is this the correct time that they have listed or do you think it will be changed in the future? 

Thanks... Getting excited!

I was a bit confused with what you are asking.   There is the captain circles reception where the captain and rest. mgr., etc. are present and they give free drinks and some appetizers (if you are lucky enough to get them).  On the other hand there is the nightly elite lounge where you buy discounted drinks and there is a table of appetizers to choose from.  

Please remain excited and enjoy the trip.

14 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

263F2DDE-55FD-4BB4-BDB1-DDFABDA8465F.jpeg

• Like 1

Just curious, we leave this Saturday, the 21st on Regal, have the Medallion App all ready but doesn't show anything in Journey View except the sailing of the ship to various ports.  How do you see the activities and how do you enter your own events?  

• Like 1

I just got home from an AK cruise on the Grand Princess, and was surprised to learn the starting time for  the S-E-P Lounge was changed to 4:30, and ended at 6:30. That worked well for us because we prefer to go to dinner between 5:30 and 6:00, as it has always been 5-7  for the 7 years I have been qualified to attend.

Maybe once you get onboard your cruise your times will be changed too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flamomo said:

I just got home from an AK cruise on the Grand Princess, and was surprised to learn the starting time for  the S-E-P Lounge was changed to 4:30, and ended at 6:30. That worked well for us because we prefer to go to dinner between 5:30 and 6:00, as it has always been 5-7  for the 7 years I have been qualified to attend.

Maybe once you get onboard your cruise your times will be changed too.

I'm pretty sure those were the hours on our Christmas 2018 cruise on the Crown Princess.  We had late traditional dining at 7:15 so we'd enjoy a cocktail or two, return to the cabin to dress, and then go to dinner.  We thought that worked out well. 

• Like 1