Cruise Critic Community
Cruisegirl6

Question about Dining Packages

Hello,

We purchased the four night specialty dining package, we chose time slot 6:30pm-8:30pm.  We were told we do not have to choose the dates and the restaurants but is there a way to reserve our exact time that we will show up and which restaurant we will dine at? 

If we are unable to reserve the restaurant, have you found that there is a wait time to be seated, if so, what is the average wait time?

I hesitate to replay because Celebrity has been changing and cutting so many things that the policy could change.  But when we have had a dining package we generally go to one of the alternative restaurants (Tuscan, Murano, etc) soon after we board the ship.  On embarkation day there will usually be a Maitre'd at the front desk of the various restaurants.  You can then ask them to make or change any or all of your reservations and they will access their internal reservations system and make the changes.  There is an obvious advantage to doing this sooner (after your board) rather then later since you are more likely to get the dates and times you prefer.   When chooing the nights you dine in alternative restaurants you might also want to consider that the best MDR menus are generally on the Chic (previously formal) nights. 

Hank

With the dining packages you cannot make your reservations (choose restaurant, date and time) until you board the ship.  The time slot when you booked the package is just so the computer can process the purchase.  You will reserve a specific time, 6:30 for example when you make the actual reservation.

i would suggest that you have your preferred dates, times and restaurants decided before you board the ship. Once onboard look for the table with staff booking speciality restaurants and book your meals.  Alternatively you will find staff outside the Oceanview Cafe making reservations or head to one of the specialty restaurants & book there.  The popular times  do fill up fast so don’t wait until a few days into your trip to decide.

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I hesitate to replay because Celebrity has been changing and cutting so many things that the policy could change.  But when we have had a dining package we generally go to one of the alternative restaurants (Tuscan, Murano, etc) soon after we board the ship.  On embarkation day there will usually be a Maitre'd at the front desk of the various restaurants.  You can then ask them to make or change any or all of your reservations and they will access their internal reservations system and make the changes.  There is an obvious advantage to doing this sooner (after your board) rather then later since you are more likely to get the dates and times you prefer.   When chooing the nights you dine in alternative restaurants you might also want to consider that the best MDR menus are generally on the Chic (previously formal) nights. 

Hank

Thanks Hank, I will board and go to the restaurants and ask if I can reserve a certain time, and yes, we are going over the menu's now but question, does the order change according to eastern/western Caribbean or is the order of menus always the same on each sailing and ship?

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

With the dining packages you cannot make your reservations (choose restaurant, date and time) until you board the ship.  The time slot when you booked the package is just so the computer can process the purchase.  You will reserve a specific time, 6:30 for example when you make the actual reservation.

i would suggest that you have your preferred dates, times and restaurants decided before you board the ship. Once onboard look for the table with staff booking speciality restaurants and book your meals.  Alternatively you will find staff outside the Oceanview Cafe making reservations or head to one of the specialty restaurants & book there.  The popular times  do fill up fast so don’t wait until a few days into your trip to decide.

Now I understand and thank you for that.  When I board I will book the dates and times.  We are taking my father in law who is 81 with us, we do prefer prime time between 7-7:30 but we can do 8pm if we have to or a bit later, as long as it isn't every night.

1 minute ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Thanks Hank, I will board and go to the restaurants and ask if I can reserve a certain time, and yes, we are going over the menu's now but question, does the order change according to eastern/western Caribbean or is the order of menus always the same on each sailing and ship?

I can't answer since its been a few years since we did the Eastern/Western thing, 

Hank

I noticed Raw on 5 is a la carte do we get an allownace there for dinner having the specialty package?  Also, if we order the seafood tower, can they combine the total cost of the three of us and allow that to be part of our dinner along with other entrees and we just pay the extra cost?

3 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Does Elite status give me any priority in reserving dining room and specialty restaurant times?

Not really for the speciality restaurants.   Those that booked speciality restaurants in the Cruise Planner and paid  the full price  were able to reserve the dates, times & restaurants already.  High end suite guests can book specialty restaurants pre cruise also.  Those of us with dining packages can’t book until we board and then we can book any available date, time & place.  

Your Elite status could be a factor say you wanted early traditional dining in the MDR  but it was full so you are waitlisted.  Then your Elite status could give you an advantage over someone who was Select status but after someone  who was Elite+ or Zenith 

6 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I noticed Raw on 5 is a la carte do we get an allownace there for dinner having the specialty package?  Also, if we order the seafood tower, can they combine the total cost of the three of us and allow that to be part of our dinner along with other entrees and we just pay the extra cost?

You would each get $35 and if you put it on one reservation/check, they will combine the three allowances.  Some have reported not having to stick to the $35 on other ships for Sushi on 5, but I have not heard that for the Edge yet, so I would go with expectations of $35 PP.  Yes, you would just have the extra costs added to your cruise account. 

We had the Imperial Tower and loved it! Enjoy! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

7 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Not necessarily the same. They sometimes change it up. Right now the app is showing both as identical menus, but it will depend on what they choose as Chic nights (best menus are served that night) - they very often go with 2nd or 3rd and 6th nights for the Chic nights.  My best guess (but don't hold me to it) is that Menu 1 will be on Night 1, Menu 2 on the 1st Chic Night (maybe Night 3 for Western and Night 2 for Eastern, looking at the sea days) and Menu 6 on Night 6 (usually the 2nd Chic night). Just educated guesses - maybe someone here will remember for sure from last year for the Eastern, but the Western definitely had nights 3 and 6 for Chic nights. We avoid booking specialty restaurants those 3 nights since, whether in the MDR, Blu or Luminae, the best menus are usually those nights, in our opinion.

13 hours ago, jelayne said:

Not really for the speciality restaurants.   Those that booked speciality restaurants in the Cruise Planner and paid  the full price  were able to reserve the dates, times & restaurants already.  High end suite guests can book specialty restaurants pre cruise also.  Those of us with dining packages can’t book until we board and then we can book any available date, time & place.  

Your Elite status could be a factor say you wanted early traditional dining in the MDR  but it was full so you are waitlisted.  Then your Elite status could give you an advantage over someone who was Select status but after someone  who was Elite+ or Zenith 

Thank you...yes, our elite status did get us our select dining, we were given late but we did get approved for select.  😁

9 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Not necessarily the same. They sometimes change it up. Right now the app is showing both as identical menus, but it will depend on what they choose as Chic nights (best menus are served that night) - they very often go with 2nd or 3rd and 6th nights for the Chic nights.  My best guess (but don't hold me to it) is that Menu 1 will be on Night 1, Menu 2 on the 1st Chic Night (maybe Night 3 for Western and Night 2 for Eastern, looking at the sea days) and Menu 6 on Night 6 (usually the 2nd Chic night). Just educated guesses - maybe someone here will remember for sure from last year for the Eastern, but the Western definitely had nights 3 and 6 for Chic nights. We avoid booking specialty restaurants those 3 nights since, whether in the MDR, Blu or Luminae, the best menus are usually those nights, in our opinion.

Thank you, that is also my guess night one is the first menu and night 2 and 6 the Chic menu as we will be at sea during those days and sea days are generally when they have those better menus.  We also will be eating dinner in the MDR on those Chic nights!