Do you clean your cabin?

travelingfrog

We keep our cabin tidy as others have said.  I don’t clean, normally.

IF I saw something that really bothered me I’d just take a damp wash cloth  that had been wet with hot water and wash it down.  So far, that hasn’t happened 😉 

12 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Nope on taking cleaning solutions to the ship; Yep on keeping it nice looking with "stuff" put away on a daily basis. By-product of four years in the Corps and a senior D.I. and his staff giving you "friendly reminders" to keep your bunk, squad bay and the heads squared away at all times :classic_cool:

I had a mother who did that - 60 years ago - I still hear her!!

• Haha 1

The only thing I ever do is bring some glass wipes if we are in a verandah.  For the outside, not the inside, because they get spattered by salt water.  I would never bother to clean inside.  My bathroom on the ship gets cleaned much more frequently than at home.  After being a teacher for 34 years I do not get freaked out by germs.  I just wash my hands after being out of the room.  

• Like 1

Why have a dog and then do the barking yourself?

We keep our cabin tidy, but no we do not rush about wiping down every surface.   I mean really, if one does not propose to wipe down every surface on the ship that they come in contact with what is the point.  Besides, we do not have room in our carry on fo that stuff.  We leave it to HAL or whatever line we happen to be on.   

40 minutes ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

We’ll now I know why the remotes give me so much trouble.

They’re TOO CLEAN!!

I would always wrap a tissue around the remote, so my hands wouldn't have to touch it.  Invariably, though, the tissue dislodged, and my fingers would come in contact with a surface that supposedly is germ-infested.  What to do? 

A couple of weeks ago, a cruise critic article offered a great solution for the remote.  Take a zip-lock baggie, drop the remote in, reseal the bag, and use the remote.  That way a passenger's hands only touch the remote once.

I tried it to make certain it works, and it does!  So no more juggling a remote wrapped in a tissue.  Easy solution for those, like us, who are wary of using that remote.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

28 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

I would always wrap a tissue around the remote, so my hands wouldn't have to touch it.  Invariably, though, the tissue dislodged, and my fingers would come in contact with a surface that supposedly is germ-infested.  What to do? 

A couple of weeks ago, a cruise critic article offered a great solution for the remote.  Take a zip-lock baggie, drop the remote in, reseal the bag, and use the remote.  That way a passenger's hands only touch the remote once.

I tried it to make certain it works, and it does!  So no more juggling a remote wrapped in a tissue.  Easy solution for those, like us, who are wary of using that remote.

By my ninth Chee-to the slipperiness  of the plastic feels sorta gross so I gotta take the remote out of the dang bag.

Just kidding (again).

Thanks for for passing along that solution, although I probably won’t be needing the remotes on cruises much longer - I only use them if there’s a DVD player that accepts music CDs.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

By my ninth Dorito the slipperiness  of the plastic is sorta gross so I gotta take the remote out of the dang bag.

Just kidding (again).

Thanks for for passing along that solution, although I probably won’t be needing the remotes on cruises much longer - I only use them if there’s a DVD player that accepts music CDs.

Take more than one baggie.  They take up no room in a suitcase.  Do you really bring Doritos?  My son would if I let him!

Edited by sevenseasnomad

13 hours ago, RuthC said:

A place for everything, and everything in its place. I follow that at home, and in my cruise cabin because I want to be able to get what I want without thinking about it. And because I don't want anything to go flying if the ship should be hit by an 80' wave. 
But clean??? It is to laugh. 

I believe in a place for everything and everything in its place. Somehow, it doesn't happen at home. I've very mess-tolerant. But when I travel, I'm  neat because there IS a place for everything I've got with me. I never leave out small or valuable things, like jewelry or a camera. NOT because I worry that they'll be stolen, but it would be easy for a steward to accidentally knock something off a nightstand or desk while cleaning, and it could break (camera) or get eaten by Henry (thinking of small earrings).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I believe in a place for everything and everything in its place. Somehow, it doesn't happen at home. I've very mess-tolerant. But when I travel, I'm  neat because there IS a place for everything I've got with me. I never leave out small or valuable things, like jewelry or a camera. NOT because I worry that they'll be stolen, but it would be easy for a steward to accidentally knock something off a nightstand or desk while cleaning, and it could break (camera) or get eaten by Henry (thinking of small earrings).

Ah, I never knew he had a name!  

Henry!

8 hours ago, DeepWaterMariner said:

I tell the room steward if there is something that bothers me.  The only time I've done anything myself was on port calls to Bali or Java where I've given the room stewards the day off to visit family.  All I've done on those days is straighten out the bed.

How do you give a room steward "the day off"? What about all the other cabins they are charged with...who cleans them? I'm guessing it is their supervisor who has the authority to grant "a day off" NOT the passengers.

3 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

How do you give a room steward "the day off"? What about all the other cabins they are charged with...who cleans them? I'm guessing it is their supervisor who has the authority to grant "a day off" NOT the passengers.

I assure you that any guests' cabins that are the responsibility of that Steward team will be properly serviced if that is what is required,  What those of us do who tell our Stewards to "forget us, we can make our own beds and there are plenty of towels not used" when we are in their home national ports is done to allow these hard working gentlemen/gentlewomen to have some quality time with their family and friends who come to the port to meet them.

If I learned that a Chief Housekeeper denied such an opportunity for my Stewards, a meeting with the Hotel Director would be in order to personally register my opinion.

16 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

How do you give a room steward "the day off"?

You leave the 'Privacy Please' sign in the door. It's a good idea to let them know, so they won't be worried you died in your sleep, or anything. 
Many people do this when the ship is in the steward's home port, and family is coming to spend several hours with them. The joy they exude when they know they will be seeing family is something to behold. It's infectious.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

How do you give a room steward "the day off"? 

Passengers leave the "Privacy Please "  and write a note stating service of room not required, please have  a good time with your relatives today (or similar message) and stick on the stateroom door.  There were numerous such messages on the doors during the ship visit at Benoa.  The crew members really look forward to being on a cruise that calls at a port in their home country.   It is a pleasure to see crew members showing their  relatives around the ship.