Do you clean your cabin?

travelingfrog

8 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I could be entirely wrong (which happens a lot), but I think you have missed the OP's point in starting this thread altogether.

I interpreted their point more as a query about whether folks may be a bit concerned about sanitation and germs in their cabin, and for this reason tend to sanitize or 'clean' their cabins upon arrival, or even periodically during their cruise.

Like I said, I could be wrong though..

3 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

I personally didn’t read it that way but you have a valid point.  Somehow I don’t equate doing some “sanitization” of your cabin as cleaning it when you first board but I understand the potential.   That said my answer stays the same, no we don’t sanitize or clean our cabin when we first board or any time afterwards.   

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Oh my...I didn't respond to the OP because I didn't want to admit that I, too, go around with disinfectants and so forth to make myself more comfortable.

I Am a Germ Freak.

But if I can virtue signal, I also do my best throughout the cruise to keep our cabin clean and lighten the load of the stateroom attendants.

We owned a pleasure boat for many years and the motto in our family was, "A clean boat is a happy boat."

A rule to live and die by.

I think all of you are spot on in your observations. My view may have been jaundiced by so many Posts that had nothing to do with sanitizing their staterooms and IMHO were the most blatant virtue signaling.   In any event, I thank you for correcting my mis-impression of this Thread.

• Like 1

I just read an article that hairdryers in hotel rooms have as many germs as the remote and they are rarely cleaned and are replaced only when they break.  So for those who wipe down surfaces - you may want to add the hairdryer if you use the one in the cabin.  

• Like 1

Now, I could be wrong but …...

Unless you do this every time your stateroom is cleaned (twice/day), why bother?  But the bigger question is - WHY BOTHER AT ALL??  The stateroom attendants do not change their cleaning rags, sponges, toilet bowl scrubbers, mops, etc. from cabin to cabin, do they?  They don't wear shoe covers and they use the same vacuum so who knows what they track or drag into your stateroom, depositing germs on the floors for us to walk in?  Then think about the crew who clean off tables where we eat or drink - they pick up dishes, napkins, etc., then go from table to table with the same rag and rarely (never?) use cleaning spray.  And don't get me started on those woven placemats they use in the Lido because those don't even get picked up between guests and I really have to wonder if they ever clean them because they sure can't be put in a washing machine like table linens can. 

So all one can do is wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, repeat often, sneeze or cough into your elbow, and for heaven's sake, keep your hands out of the food and don't refill water bottles where it clearly states DO NOT FILL WATER BOTTLES!!!  

Ok, getting off my bandwagon now.  Enjoy your cruise.  😄  

• Like 2

zelker, I loved your bandwagon reply.  But, if you wipe down your t.v. control, hairdryer, door and faucet knobs, and wear slippers when in your room it might help.   I always have flip flops or socks to wear in hotel rooms or on cruises.  One of the most useful things I read and try to remember, even when going to the grocery store, is DO NOT touch anywhere on your face before washing your hands.  I don't like hand sanitizer because it kills the good bacteria and prefer soap and water, but everyone should use what they like.  Wiping things down is not a big deal and might prevent the transfer of germs.  I think this thread has good info and is helpful.  For those who joke about wiping down the entire ship...I'm sure the crew would appreciate your efforts.  JMO  Cherie

• Like 1