Royal Princess delay leaving Vancouver / 9.14.2019

LongToSeeTheSea

Apparently there was an oil spill on the oil boat filling Royal Princess today in Vancouver.   We were told Princess is responsible for the clean up since they were purchasing the oil.  We were supposed to leave Vancouver at 3:30...it’s now almost 5:00 and we’re still alongside Canada Place 🇨🇦.   Now we’re hearing we maybe here awhile as the tides coming in and the ship will not clear Lions Gate Bridge until the tide goes back out.  We’re waiting on an update now.   Supposed to arrive in LA on Tuesday morning at 8:30....Doubt that will happen.  The 12-day to Alaska might be delayed?   Will update when we hear.... 

Seems backasswards to me.  I would think the fuel supplier is in control and charge of what they are providing and should just default be on the customer's head.  I wonder if this is the way it works in other countries.  The ship could be kept around a long time if they make it wait until fully cleaned up.  I wonder how fast a clean-up crew arrives?  I am realizing I don't know much about this.  I wonder if @chengkp75 knows something?

• Like 2

The delay is due to needing to  clean the spilled oil off the hull of the ship. Captain Nash emphasized that it was due to a vendor error. Aside from the spill, US immigration was so backed up,  I'm not sure if we would have gotten out on time anyhow .  We shall see what happens. 

46 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I’ve been on the ship since 10:45am! No issues from my end. I’m going with whatever happens. I do get the frustration of those on-board that we’re forced to change flights due to early sail time!

And now more changed flights due to the late arrival in to Los Angeles....  a lot of drama for a 3 day cruise. 😂

18 minutes ago, LongToSeeTheSea said:

And now more changed flights due to the late arrival in to Los Angeles....  a lot of drama for a 3 day cruise. 😂

Yup! I get it! I live 10 minutes from port in Vancouver so no issue for me with earlier departure notice. My flight from LA is 1:30 but through EZ Air so up to Princess to make it right!!! I feel for those that have to deal with flight changes on such a short trip 

2 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Seems backasswards to me.  I would think the fuel supplier is in control and charge of what they are providing and should just default be on the customer's head.  I wonder if this is the way it works in other countries.  The ship could be kept around a long time if they make it wait until fully cleaned up.  I wonder how fast a clean-up crew arrives?  I am realizing I don't know much about this.  I wonder if @chengkp75 knows something?

The update we got was that oil was spilled on the dock and then went down between the dock and the hull of the ship.  Canadian authorities would not let the ship leave until the hull was cleaned so that the ship would not carry oil out of the berth and further pollute waters on our way out.  All cleanup was completed by 5:15pm, but we missed the bridge window, so we have to wait for the next opportunity, which is 10pm (setting sail at 9:30).   With the notice on speed restrictions we got recently, not sure there is much opportunity to make up much time.  Maybe we’ll arrive around 2:00pm on Tuesday 9/17 now??  

• Like 1

Tough couple days for the Royal. I was on the Alaska cruise that arrived this morning in Vancouver - we had a fire in the #3 engine room yesterday while at sea. It was contained fairly quickly by the automated systems and fire crews, and we limped into Vancouver on the other 3 engines. There was mild concern that we might be too slow to make the bridge at low tide, but turned out not to be an issue.

18 minutes ago, alanstarr said:

Tough couple days for the Royal. I was on the Alaska cruise that arrived this morning in Vancouver - we had a fire in the #3 engine room yesterday while at sea. It was contained fairly quickly by the automated systems and fire crews, and we limped into Vancouver on the other 3 engines. There was mild concern that we might be too slow to make the bridge at low tide, but turned out not to be an issue.

Royal has had so many issues on the west coast thus far! It’s a blessing there is such a great cruise staff team on her to make up for all the glitches! I’m not a big fan of the ship but have sailed her 3 times in the past 6 months just to be with Matt O and his gang!

• Like 1

We are on the Star in November after it returns from Vancouver.  We received an email from Princess that moved our boarding time to 2:00 - 5:00 PM due to the new speed limits in the San Pedro area.  Evidently the port of San Pedro and maybe Long Beach have instituted a slower speed limit when approaching the port to reduce damage to the environment.   

1 hour ago, kruisey said:

I personally don't think that it sucked.Oil on the hull getting into the waters will pollute.Does that not bother you?

When I read @Colo Cruiser's post I thought it meant that the spill and potential pollution occurred. 

ETA - Oh I missed the Colo reply.  I could have just like it.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It sucks that there was a spill. What are you talking about?

Then you should have explained yourself more clearly.That expression can be taken both ways.

At the moment in Vancouver some folks are worried that the non refined oil approved by the Government to be shipped by pipe to Vancouver  from Alberta to fuel Ships might spill and ruin the environmental waters and kill wild life and plants in waters.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, kruisey said:

Then you should have explained yourself more clearly.That expression can be taken both ways.

At the moment in Vancouver some folks are worried that the non refined oil approved by the Government to be shipped by pipe to Vancouver  from Alberta to fuel Ships might spill and ruin the environmental waters and kill wild life and plants in waters.

Maybe you should not assume. 

• Like 6