Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ela123

Can I get off again once checked in on embarkation day in Auckland

Recommended Posts

My Niece is flying into Auckland on the afternoon we sail on the Celebrity Solstice. If we check in late morning and board are we able to get off again to see her if she gets there in time. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will not be an issue, please note the time (per the ship) you need to be back on board.

 

Play it safe otherwise you might have to use your travel insurance benefit to board at the next port.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bo, have you been to Aukland? Have you tried this?  

 

Does any travel insurance cover scenarios where a person has checked in and then leaves the ship but doesn’t return in time?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Bo, have you been to Aukland? Have you tried this?  

 

Does any travel insurance cover scenarios where a person has checked in and then leaves the ship but doesn’t return in time?  

You need to check on the ship when you go back off when you should be back.  They will have posted times for the crew and for passengers.  If you miss the ship, my guess is you are on your own to get back at the next port.  🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. Not planning to go far and will need to be back on for the muster drill, so will definitely be back on ship in time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about the rules in New Zealand, but I do know that in Australia, once you board you can't get off again. Not sure if New Zealand has a similar rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be very surprised if travel insurance would cover something like this. If your flight is late and you missed the ship yes, but if you just go off the ship to meet someone and would not be able to come back in time, that would be on your dime, I should think.

 

I would also be wary of generalizing from experiences in other countries.  New Zealand may  be closer to Australia than Florida in its regulations regarding checking in and then leaving the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I would be very surprised if travel insurance would cover something like this. If your flight is late and you missed the ship yes, but if you just go off the ship to meet someone and would not be able to come back in time, that would be on your dime, I should think.

 

I would also be wary of generalizing from experiences in other countries.  New Zealand may  be closer to Australia than Florida in its regulations regarding checking in and then leaving the ship.

My bad - did not think about the 'foreign' implications of this...

 

Thank you and Alakegirl for pointing this out..

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read an Alaska live blog, the OP's daughter got off in Vancouver after embarkation to eat some gluten free pancakes at a particular restaurant.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I don't know about the rules in New Zealand, but I do know that in Australia, once you board you can't get off again. Not sure if New Zealand has a similar rule. 

That was my first thought.  When you board in Oz, you stay on.  No getting off and getting back on.  We've boarded a couple of times in Auckland but don't recall the rules there.  Best to check for sure before making plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I don't know about the rules in New Zealand, but I do know that in Australia, once you board you can't get off again. Not sure if New Zealand has a similar rule. 

I agree.  I know in Australia once you board, that's it.  I think New Zealand might be the same.  I would definitely check before making any plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer for both NZ and Australia is no.  Drop off your bags and wander around Auckland until you meet your niece and then board by the latest time but once you you check in you are on for the rest of the day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

What about if you're doing a back to back in Sydney?

  

 

We have had three turnaround days in Sydney on B2B cruises.  My recollection is that once you are back on the ship are are ON the ship until it departs Sydney.  No getting off once you have boarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On turnaround days, you can disembark and tour the city, then revised.  You are given a transit pass to help skip the lines in the terminal. I have done this in Auckland and in Sydney.

 

This is not what the OP was asking about however, so just to be clear the OP is boarding Auckland, and is not a back to back passenger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

On turnaround days, you can disembark and tour the city, then revised.  You are given a transit pass to help skip the lines in the terminal. I have done this in Auckland and in Sydney.

 

......

 

 

I agree that the standard procedure of issuing a transit pass to B2B passengers in Sydney happens, but our experience was that once we re-boarded on turnaround day we were ON that ship until it departed.  No dropping items off and exiting for more time in Sydney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

 

 

I agree that the standard procedure of issuing a transit pass to B2B passengers in Sydney happens, but our experience was that once we re-boarded on turnaround day we were ON that ship until it departed.  No dropping items off and exiting for more time in Sydney.

But you have REBOARDED.  Which means you have got back on board just like any passenger which has got on board.  The rules in Australia are that once you board on the first day you can't get off and explore.  
As a B2B passenger you should have had your items go to your new room (or remain in the original room if you were keeping it), explore Sydney and then get on when you were ready to stay on.  They happen to be the rules for our country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that is what we are saying.

 

if you are enbarking in Sydney, you can’t then leave the ship that same day.  On e you are on the ship, you must stay on.

 

if you arrive in Sydney as a back to back passenger, you can receive a transit pass for leaving the ship for the day. But you can’t leave the ship using that pass and then return to the ship and then try to leave a second time.  Once you are back on, that’s it.

 

they are two different scenarios, with two different sets of rules.

Edited by cruisestitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did three back-to-back cruises on Solstice from Auckland in March.  Once we went through passport control and boarded the ship on embarkation day, we had to stay on the ship until it sailed.  So the rules for New Zealand appear to be very similar to the way they do things in Australia.  I would not count on being able to leave the ship once you have boarded in Auckland.

Edited by lisiamc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 3:02 AM, ela123 said:

My Niece is flying into Auckland on the afternoon we sail on the Celebrity Solstice. If we check in late morning and board are we able to get off again to see her if she gets there in time. Thanks

 

Hi, in 2017 in Auckland people were allowed to board & then disembark, no problem :)

 

Interestingly enough, we overnighted in Sydney, & obviously people were allowed to come & go as they pleased.   ( I understand that this is different than embarking there)   I will say that Australia had super strict immigration rules & screening.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the Solstice in March this year (Auckland to Sydney).  Once we embarked in Auckland, there was no possibility of getting back off.

 

Jo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...