Free Access to West Bay Beach

lreilly44

My husband and I are doing a private tour with Tony when we stop in Roatan. My biggest interest is going to West Bay to snorkel.

Is it really necessary to get a day pass at one of the resorts if all we are interested in is snorkeling? Or would the free access to the beach suffice? Are there chairs on the free beach, or should we just bring a blanket/extra towels? And if we are on the free beach, do we still have access to places to grab a quick lunch?

All of West Bay is the same beach, all of the sand is free, all off the water is free. Loungers, potties and food are all payable.

The challange becomes how much if the sand is free, how much is blocked off by resorts and how much is covered in people roaming up and down. If you can find a piece of sand out of a traffic areas by all means. 

There is completely free entry to West Bay Beach from the main road between Paradise Beach Club and Bananarama. or via water taxi from the village of West End.

All the resort restaurants and bars are open to the public.

The easy access reef snorkeling is possible to access just passed Infinity Bay's L shaped pier and too the wall. 

Be aware, the sand flies can be relentless, being right on the sand may increase their ability to attack. There  also has been discussion over the years that salty skin is far more attractive to them. 

Edited by Guest 2000

2 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

I was on my phone yesterday. 

This is a very good snorkle location and access map. Note the green flags directly in front of Infinity Bay. 

Screen-Shot-2016-06-15-at-4.07.36-PM.png

Thanks for the great info and map!

How long does it take to walk down the beach, if we were to get a day pass further up at Foster's for example, to the snorkeling right in front of Infinity Bay?

Hmmm I think Foster's to Infinity is about 15/20 mins. It would depend on how much of a hurry you are in (I never am). How much you play in the water along the way ( I am a fan of cooling off my feets) and how many people you have to dodge on the way.  :0) 

Truth be told,  I have never timed it although I have done the exact walk countless times.