Cruise Critic Community
SirWolf

MSC Meraviglia - YC Restaurant - HIT or MISS...

14 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

Due to passengers going to the small buffet the restaurant felt more busy. People standing up, walking to the buffet and coming back. Just not my idea of a full-service restaurant. I go to deck 19 if I want to eat buffet-style. They used to bring baskets with bread to the table but I guess MSC thought they can save at least one waiter at breakfast by introducing the small buffet. Not a smart move in my opinion.

NCL does it that way in the Havenrestaurant. A buffet with the cold items and the hot items are ordered from a menu.

I prefer to be able to just walk to the buffet and take what a want. On NCL it's far from the same as the buffetrestaurant. I don't know how MSC does it since we haven't seen it there.

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Yes ... we had Andrea (the one I mentioned) on Meraviglia on her first Med sailing.

I assume that Andrea was on Meraviglia when we cruised on her but I can't remember seeing him. He defenitely didn't introduced himself to us like the YC manager did on Divina.

18 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

I don't like the idea of the buffet section either - reminds me too much of a Costa MDR for breakfast!!

One of the MDR had a buffet for breakfast when we cruised on Norwegian Wind 2004 and that was excellent. After that I haven't seen buffets in NCLs MDR.

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't know how MSC does it since we haven't seen it there.

The small buffet is really small... set up is on the right side when you enter the restaurant. The selection is limited to bread, rolls, croissants, pastries, cake and yogurt. The items are basically what used to be on the bread basket brought to the table. NO fruits, oatmeal, etc., no other cold food.

We had 4 families with small children onboard and the little ones were constantly running to the small buffet for some sweet pastries and needles to say sometimes they lost their pastries on the way back to the table.

One more observation: Our waiter served 6 tables every night. 4 tables with 2 guests, 1 table with 4 guests and 1 table with 6 guests.

Question: Is this the normal ratio or to much to handle ? He seemed kind of overwhelmed with the number of guests and orders. On two occasions he came back to us and verified our order because he forgot or wasn’t sure.

Please keep in mind that a massive restaurant operation needs teamwork...from the Executive Chef through the the dining room managers, cooks and waiters.  If all goes well then we have rave reviews if one or two links in the chain are not performing then all hell breaks loose.  The good news is that these teams rotate and a bad sailing from six months ago might be an excellent sailing today.  Usually upper management takes notice and corrects as soon as possible.  MSC management is constantly reading these posts.  One of the conversations that I had with an MSC Food and Beverage Manager was how well informed he was by reading Cruise Critics.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Please keep in mind that a massive restaurant operation needs teamwork

I agree when it comes to MDR but the YC restaurant is rather small. I guess the seating capacity is just over 100 guests with a total of 200 guests in YC eating at different times. This is the capacity of a mid-size restaurant in my city and they can  run the operation providing the same level of quality and service every time.

2 hours ago, SirWolf said:

The small buffet is really small... set up is on the right side when you enter the restaurant. The selection is limited to bread, rolls, croissants, pastries, cake and yogurt. The items are basically what used to be on the bread basket brought to the table. NO fruits, oatmeal, etc., no other cold food.

We had 4 families with small children onboard and the little ones were constantly running to the small buffet for some sweet pastries and needles to say sometimes they lost their pastries on the way back to the table.

The way you explain it sounds good to me. I assume that if someone asked the waiter about bread or yoghurt they should go and get it and serve it at the table, right?

They should have all cold things at the buffet, I think.

2 hours ago, SirWolf said:

I agree when it comes to MDR but the YC restaurant is rather small. I guess the seating capacity is just over 100 guests with a total of 200 guests in YC eating at different times. This is the capacity of a mid-size restaurant in my city and they can  run the operation providing the same level of quality and service every time.

Whether you are feeding 200 or 2000 makes no difference. It still takes a team effort right down to the runner who brings supplies up to the galley.  Most of these complaints sound like there were inexperienced cooks working on the line.  Having managed several kitchens in my lifetime I can tell you that there can be mayhem behind the scenes.  Unless you replace or rearrange the order in the kitchen/galley there will be dysfunction.  

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Whether you are feeding 200 or 2000 makes no difference. It still takes a team effort right down to the runner who brings supplies up to the galley.  Most of these complaints sound like there were inexperienced cooks working on the line.  Having managed several kitchens in my lifetime I can tell you that there can be mayhem behind the scenes.  Unless you replace or rearrange the order in the kitchen/galley there will be dysfunction.  

Thank you for explaining.

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Usually upper management takes notice and corrects as soon as possible.  MSC management is constantly reading these posts.  One of the conversations that I had with an MSC Food and Beverage Manager was how well informed he was by reading Cruise Critics.

Good to know and thanks  for posting this.  When MSC Meraviglia makes her appearance in North American waters this Fall, less than positive comments on CC may help to improve my January cruise on her.  I'm expecting an exceptional YC experience on this cruise.

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Is there a difference* between the ships where the YC restaurant is located within the YC area, vs those where it is as the back of the ship?

* in food quality, hot-ness, and service

My 2 YCs were the Divina,  with the restaurant at the other end of the ship, and Meraviglia, with the restaurant within the enclave.  The menu, food, and service was far better on the Divina, IMO.  My experiences on Meraviglia were along similar lines as the OP regarding service and food quality, but I also had a problem with the menu.

My Meraviglia experience was this past April/May, in the Baltic.  I don't know what the current menu is, but they better change it before they bring the ship to the US.  I chalked up my unhappiness with the menu to it being directed more to European tastes, since we were the only identifiably American couples in the YC.  But I don't think it will fly in NY or Miami or where ever they base her. 

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Good to know and thanks  for posting this.  When MSC Meraviglia makes her appearance in North American waters this Fall, less than positive comments on CC may help to improve my January cruise on her.  I'm expecting an exceptional YC experience on this cruise.

I would be very surprised if management allowed anything less than top performance for Meraviglia’s American debut.  MSC is betting the house on this move into the American market.

9 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I would be very surprised if management allowed anything less than top performance for Meraviglia’s American debut.  MSC is betting the house on this move into the American market.

That is why I expect this cruise will be a really great experience and will make me want to return as a YC guest.

While I'm not holding out much hope on the food quality and offerings when Meraviglia arrives in New York (after all, it'll only be for her first 3 sailings - including the repo to Miami - and being stocked with new produce for the Stateside menus which may end up being tweaked when she starts her season in Miami), I expect, somehow, that the YC Director will be very visible and "on hand" (for the NY sailings, anyway)  ... he certainly was when Meraviglia was first launched and was anxious for any and all opinions/complaints so things could be rectified "going forward".

The YC Director introduced himself on the day of embarking and we saw him on one day while he was in the YC lounge with other officers. He was never present during dinner (6:30-8:30pm) , breakfast or in the lounge during the day and night when we were there.

In comparison the (female) YC Director on Seaview was every night in the restaurant and “always” present, we met her everywhere and she engaged in conversation.

Maybe an ignorant question:  but how does one recognize the YC Director whether it's a him or her?  

I find the name badges/titles worn by cruise ship personnel of all lines a challenge for this senior citizen's eyes to read.  Larger printing would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe an ignorant question:  but how does one recognize the YC Director whether it's a him or her?  

I find the name badges/titles worn by cruise ship personnel of all lines a challenge for this senior citizen's eyes to read.  Larger printing would be appreciated.

The YC Director is the one wearing the all-white uniform and (if they're any good, anyway) will be quite active about the YC area - checking in with the Concierge and in and out of the Top Sail Lounge and One Pool bar area during the day.  On Seaview, a couple of weeks ago, he sat down to introduce himself and talk with us in TSL while we were waiting for our cabin.  I saw him do this with a number of people as they embarked.

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The YC Director is the one wearing the all-white uniform and (if they're any good, anyway) will be quite active about the YC area 

We had the more casual and cozy version of YC director on our Baltic Sea cruise wearing a dark blue pullover and white officer’s pants.

Yeah ... they need the jumpers on the colder itineraries.  I've only seen them on Med cruises in the Summer (and on the new-builds of Meraviglia and Seaview).

16 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The YC Director is the one wearing the all-white uniform and (if they're any good, anyway) will be quite active about the YC area - checking in with the Concierge and in and out of the Top Sail Lounge and One Pool bar area during the day.  On Seaview, a couple of weeks ago, he sat down to introduce himself and talk with us in TSL while we were waiting for our cabin.  I saw him do this with a number of people as they embarked.

Thanks for the information.  An all white uniform is what Deck Officers and, I think, Hotel Officers wear on warm weather itineraries with the blue colored uniforms is worn in colder areas.

Maybe if Bea has a chance to chat up the YC Director, she can *gently* remind him/her that folk on CC are chatting about service quality. BTW I for one would love to know who the personnel are, for purely (well, mostly) selfish reasons. I want to practice some words in that person's language, because I find that people become more personable (and deliver better service) that way.